Im trying to get internet from another computer in my house. I have the wireless usb thing, but I cant get it hooked up. The computer Im trying to hook up to has a 2wire modem, and I have an SMC wireless card. Ill scan for available networks, and it comes up, but it has a key next to it and I cant connect. Im guessing that means its locked somehow :/ So how do I unlock it and connect?
If it has a key next to it, it means it's encrypted by the owner of the modem. You need to talk to them, and ask for the password.
Quote by Shawnstoppable
If it has a key next to it, it means it's encrypted by the owner of the modem. You need to talk to them, and ask for the password.

We own the modem though...? How do I find the password?
apparently someone set it up, no way to help you unless you figure out who put the password or said password.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
You have to log into the router. How you login to the router depends on what brand you have, such as D-link, Netgear or Linksys. What do you have?
Quote by Shawnstoppable
You have to log into the router. How you login to the router depends on what brand you have, such as D-link, Netgear or Linksys. What do you have?

I cant hook up the router, because the modem only has 1 UB port. But Linksys.
Wait, what? You can't hook up the router because the modem only has 1 port? So you're router isn't running a ethernet cable from it to the modem?
there's no way to access it from another room without a router or a long-ass ethernet cable.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

I'm not sure you have it hooked up right. This is how it should go:

A modem should have one ethernet port. Your ethernet cable should go to the router. Specifically, it goes into the port that is kind of isolated from the others. Make sure both devices have a power supply. Then, if you want to connect directly, you plug another ethernet cable into one the ports on the router, and the one on the back of your computer. If you want to connect wirelessly, the router creates a signal for you to latch on.

My guess is that if you're not hooking the router up, then you're seeing someone else's wireless connection, not yours.

There is one other possibility that I can think of, so if this particular scenario doesn't apply to you, I'll post the other possibility.