I really want to get into Berklee college of music. I'm going into my junior year of highschool and I need to audtion either next summer or sometime after that. What would be something good to play for the admissions dep.?
Think For Yourself, Question Authority - Dr. Timothy Leary

Quote by Poopsmith666
[21:09] im so canadian i piss maple syrup and i shit the beavers!

Quote by theyab
[1:01] im 21 years old i know how to jerk off
most of the teachers there are blues so..something bluesy would probably be a big plus.
I learned on Blues, so that might be easy.

Quote by Poopsmith666

Quote by theyab
Quote by Inbleach
I learned on Blues, so that might be easy.

You learned on blues?....

Riiiiiight.

I learneded on techno on my acoustic.
Death Metal
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by Kyle.E
You learned on blues?....

Riiiiiight.

I learneded on techno on my acoustic.

The first thing I learned how to play was blues, all the scales associated with it, and chord progressions and all that crap.

Also, I got the audition booklet, and it says the audition has to be 2 minutes or under.

Quote by Poopsmith666

Quote by theyab
i would try and write something, and combine genres. showcase your abilities, limit the effects. Show off what you can really do
:
BC Rich Bronze Warlock
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Fender CD-SCE140 Acoustic Electric
1962 Guild MKIII Classical
Well, my newest three guitar teachers....one played blues, and he is THE ****! I mean this guy is amazing, Travis Feaster, he's opening for Jimmy Vaughan (Spell check) in Europe soon. The next one I had was into metal, but he started as a bluegrass player, and the newest one is a jazz guitarist. So I think I can probably pull off something with lots of different styles. That's a really good idea.

Quote by Poopsmith666

Quote by theyab
Quote by Inbleach
I really want to get into Berklee college of music. I'm going into my junior year of highschool and I need to audtion either next summer or sometime after that. What would be something good to play for the admissions dep.?

Play whatever style you feel you are the strongest and most comfortable in, be it metal, jazz, folk, funk, whatever. I'm in a similar spot that you're in and having been there and had the chance to ask about the audition process from both students and staff, they said that you shouldn't try to fake your way through jazz or classical just to impress them (The student I asked played a Billy Joel song to get in if that makes you feel better). Play to your strengths because like any college, they're looking to see what's different and unique about you and how you'll contribute to Berklee. Hope that helps.
Quote by ohhey9040
Play whatever style you feel you are the strongest and most comfortable in, be it metal, jazz, folk, funk, whatever. I'm in a similar spot that you're in and having been there and had the chance to ask about the audition process from both students and staff, they said that you shouldn't try to fake your way through jazz or classical just to impress them (The student I asked played a Billy Joel song to get in if that makes you feel better). Play to your strengths because like any college, they're looking to see what's different and unique about you and how you'll contribute to Berklee. Hope that helps.

So basically it's just better to do what you're most comfortable in? If that's the case it shouldn't be too hard. I'm still really nervous about getting accepted or not. Do they look at your grades and everything like a normal college?

BTW, that did help.

Quote by Poopsmith666

Quote by theyab
I am going to be a sophomore in high school this year, and I also plan to go to Berklee for college, and I am still looking for a good piece to audition with.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
I am going to be a sophomore in high school this year, and I also plan to go to Berklee for college, and I am still looking for a good piece to audition with.

Yeah, i'm feeling your pain. Maybe i'll see you there in a few years

Quote by Poopsmith666

Quote by theyab
Quote by Inbleach
So basically it's just better to do what you're most comfortable in? If that's the case it shouldn't be too hard. I'm still really nervous about getting accepted or not. Do they look at your grades and everything like a normal college?

BTW, that did help.

They said they prefer a GPA of 2.5 or up, though it's not super important. You don't even have to have ACTs or SATs. However, if you have really good grades they said you can note that in your application and it might make a small difference. And don't be too nervous about getting in because there are a lot of factors that are beyond your control and there is no point in worrying about things that you can't change. Just keep practicing and focus on nailing the audition, and hopefully the rest will work itself out. And btw, I wish you well as you pursue your goal.

Also, try and visit the campus beforehand if you can. It's a sweet campus and Boston is an awesome city.
You audition during the middle of your senior year. You have time.

If you're doing rock, either write something or play a Joe Satriani song.
I think i'll write something diverse.

Quote by Poopsmith666

Quote by theyab
Dont play just standard blues, otherwise you'll look like any other joe blow that tries to get in there.

If you really want to play blues I'd suggest playing santana-esqu blues, add mostly modes and scales into your blues playing.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
It's not that hard to get into. It's being able to pay the ridiculous tuition that should be the problem. There are plenty of other schools with music programs that you should be looking at. Berklee is not the be all to end of music schools by a long shoot. Putting your cards into one school is a very bad idea so open up your options like now.
12 fret fury
Quote by Inbleach
I think i'll write something diverse.

A blues metal rockabilly pop punk tune?
Quote by Punk Poser
It's not that hard to get into. It's being able to pay the ridiculous tuition that should be the problem. There are plenty of other schools with music programs that you should be looking at. Berklee is not the be all to end of music schools by a long shoot. Putting your cards into one school is a very bad idea so open up your options like now.

So far i'm looking at Berklee and Ball State (Muncie, IN)

Quote by Poopsmith666

Quote by theyab
Quote by stinger12345
Canon rock!!!!!

?

I don't see why not
A lot of different techniques, mostly in a major scale (i think), and its based on a classical piece
Looks like im not alone
Im going to be a Senior this year and i want to go to Berklee.Im attending the Summer Session for the blues category,so hopefully i see some of you there!
Guitar Gear:
1)Fender Strat
2)Fender FM212
3)Dunlop Crybaby Origina
4)Line 6 FM4
5)MXR Phase 90
6)Boss Ds1 Distortion
7)Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
8)Line 6 DL4
www.berklee.edu

All the info you need is on there.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Inbleach

I graduated from Berklee. Just play something from the Real Book and you'll be fine.