So my 2nd Fender Blues Jr. has crapped out on me, and I've decided not to waste any more money to get it fixed. I've decided to just go for a higher quality amp. I straight up hated the amp's overdrive. It was fizzy and thin and just awful, so the amp that I get NEEDS to have a good overdrive.

I play a variety of Rock music; lots of alternative and punk, like Radiohead and Clash. I also likes my Classic Rock, so think Led Zeppelin, and AC-DC. Also, I'd like to get a nice blues tone out of it, so I'd like nice cleans and a nice raunchy crunch.

Keeping all that in mind, I have around $1000-$1400 to spend. I could stretch that, but I reaaaly don't want to. I could go used, but I'd prefer to go new.

My options so far seem to be:

VOX AC-30: I'd love to pick up a AC30CC1 but they seem to be rare on Ebay and no one sells them in my area on Craigslist. I could go with a 2x12, but that'd be much harder on my back and wallet if I ever upgrade speakers.

Orange Rocker 30: I've heard very mixed reviews on this amp. I have not gotten to try it either, but I've heard demos of the amp that make it sound amazing. I have also heard people say that it sounds awful. The lack of reverb and an effects loop is really annoying, especially since you're chipping out about $1400 for a combo. I think at the very least, an effects loop should be standard on a combo of that price. I'd be willing to overlook that however if it is as good as everyone else leads me to believe.

Hughes and Kettner Statesman: I have heard very little about this amp other than very few reviews and very few clips on youtube. But it sounds like a really decent amp; and a very versatile one at that.

So if anyone has had experience with these amps and would like to give me some advice, that'd be cool. Or if you have another suggestion, that'd be fine also.

Also, I'm using the amps with a Fender Strat and a Les Paul, so I should be able to get most of my tone through a mix of both guitars. I have a Fulltone OCD, and I should be getting a decent delay in the future. I'll be relying in pedals for some of the tone I'm looking for, but I want the amp to be able to go get me pretty close.

Thanks in advance for reading all that.
im not sure of the prices of these, but something like a Dr. Z Galaxie or a Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic would do well. The AC30 is also a great choice.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Fender Twin Reverb, great cleans but you'll need an OD for the raunchier stuff.

85 watts is loud as tits, too.....

EDIT: Normally I'd be pissed about another amp thread, but this one was very well done.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by thankyougermany

yeah i cant take my girlfriend anywhere because her tits are just too loud.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
yeah i cant take my girlfriend anywhere because her tits are just too loud.

Get an attenuator. Then you'll get the tits but without all the volume.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
check out a marshall tube combo like a JVM or something marshall
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Quote by thankyougermany
Get an attenuator. Then you'll get the tits but without all the volume.

haha, or duct tape her darn mouth shut.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I think AC-30s are versitile as hell, I have played a few in shops that were able to crank out quite a bit of beefiness, and it had amazing and I mean AMAZING cleans. I'd have gotten it over my current Vox if I had the money at the time, but yeah, if you can go with the AC-30.

EDIT: Get a 2x12, and when you upgrade speakers do what my uncle did and mod your amp for a single 15 inch speaker. It allows for a ton of punch without too much added roar and buzz.
Last edited by The Silent Fool at Jul 1, 2008,
Quote by LP51122
or something marshall

keep in mind though, just because it says marshall doesn't mean it's going to be great. The TS sounds pretty experienced, so he should know to try out any amp he's going to buy first.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Maybe a JTM45 of some sort, Germino's and Metro's are nice.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
but those JTMs are waaaay out of his pricce range. They are nice though...
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by thankyougermany

EDIT: Normally I'd be pissed about another amp thread, but this one was very well done.

I like loud tits, but I have the answer for the inherent gaudiness there of.

2 words.

Super Reverb.

If that's too big for you, Deluxe Reverb.

If you want something british, AC30. (If you want, a head and a 1x12 cab).

How much are Ceriatone Plexi's? Does anyone know?
Quote by imgooley

How much are Ceriatone Plexi's? Does anyone know?

within his price range.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by guitar_infidel
within his price range.

Exact number?

All the demo's I've heard of this thing are pretty epic.
Quote by imgooley
Exact number?

All the demo's I've heard of this thing are pretty epic.

for some reason i can't get the ceriatone site on my computer, so go to ceriatone.com and look at the 18 watt TMB. they make it in a combo, but you have to buy a speaker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZY1koiZZ20&feature=related
thats the video of it.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have a few questions.

2 words.

Super Reverb.

If that's too big for you, Deluxe Reverb.

If you want something british, AC30. (If you want, a head and a 1x12 cab).

How easy does the Super Reverb break up? I should have mentioned this before; I'm going to be playing it at home in addition to smaller gigs, so it can't be too loud. Some breakup would be preferred at a bedroom level. I can boost it, but still...

for some reason i can't get the ceriatone site on my computer, so go to ceriatone.com and look at the 18 watt TMB. they make it in a combo, but you have to buy a speaker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZY1...feature=related
thats the video of it.

I've heard a little bit about Ceriatone, but I haven't tried one myself. I have had little experience building amps, so I'd probably have to buy one premade. Can anyone vouch for their quality and sound? How do they compare as clones to the real thing?

Final question:

This looks very promising also. I've wondered if you own one or if you have played one. How exactly does it compare to the AC30? Better in what ways?
How reliable is the company?

If you hadn't noticed yet, reliability is an important issue here. I've about had it with poorly made products. Anyway, I'd appreciate any more comments.
^The Super Reverb is going to break up far earlier than a Twin Reverb, that's for sure. It's a 4x10, though, so it's pretty large. When I played it, I got a couldn't get any power tube break up at any reasonable volume.

The Deluxe Reverb, on the other hand, is 22 watts and a 1x12. It starts to break up real nicely at a moderately loud shouting volume, and sounds better and better as you crank it louder.
Quote by VoodooCow229
but those JTMs are waaaay out of his pricce range. They are nice though...

He can certainly get one for 1400 bucks. Metro kits are a grand, if he can find one already built the guys not going to be selling it for more than that. Then 400 for a cab, its plausible.

If the fails, Ceriatones are a decent choice, Nik's a good guy to work with.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Last edited by igotabcrich32 at Jul 1, 2008,
You could get a Mesa Lonestar used for 1200 Bucks on ebay. Those things are Awesome. Cleans as good or better than fender with great overdrive too. Couple that with the switchable wattage, dual independent channels, and multiple settings on each channel and you have a winner.

Or you could look into Tophat wich are great as well.
Sig What?
Quote by lemonsquares42
This looks very promising also. I've wondered if you own one or if you have played one. How exactly does it compare to the AC30? Better in what ways?
How reliable is the company?

If you hadn't noticed yet, reliability is an important issue here. I've about had it with poorly made products. Anyway, I'd appreciate any more comments.

I've never tried one, but I heard about it from this user:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/colin617/
I'd also check harmonycentral.com reviews.

To me, on paper, it looks to have similar "modern" features that the Custom Classic has, plus the circuitry is better, from what they describe, and more like the old style ones. This means = tone. Plus, it's cheaper!
Quote by forsaknazrael
I've never tried one, but I heard about it from this user:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/colin617/
I'd also check harmonycentral.com reviews.

To me, on paper, it looks to have similar "modern" features that the Custom Classic has, plus the circuitry is better, from what they describe, and more like the old style ones. This means = tone. Plus, it's cheaper!

I listened to some of the clips up on the Valvetech website. Are you referring to the Hayseed model? It has some really nice clips up. I love the cleans and the low gain bite from it, but I wasn't a huge fan of the grittier stuff. It seemed a tad harsh. I'd really love to try one out, but I don't know how I could do that since you have to order directly from the website.

Looks really interesting though; I'll definitely look into one of these.

I also looked into that Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special. I've always heard of the Mesa line of amps, but I always assumed they were strictly high gain. But after reading up on these, they seem very suited for my styles of music. How do the Lonestars do classic rock sounds? I'd need to play both modern and classic styles, so I was wondering how versatile the amp was. I read that the Special was closer to an AC30 and the Classic was more like a Fender. I think I'd prefer more of a British sound, so the Special sounds more up my alley.
Last edited by lemonsquares42 at Jul 1, 2008,
Look at some older Ampeg stuff. I love my reverberocket, but it's discontinued. Maybe you can find a used reissue, or even a vintage one. And for once, a good "which amp" thread.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by lemonsquares42
I listened to some of the clips up on the Valvetech website. Are you referring to the Hayseed model? It has some really nice clips up. I love the cleans and the low gain bite from it, but I wasn't a huge fan of the grittier stuff. It seemed a tad harsh. I'd really love to try one out, but I don't know how I could do that since you have to order directly from the website.

Looks really interesting though; I'll definitely look into one of these.

I also looked into that Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special. I've always heard of the Mesa line of amps, but I always assumed they were strictly high gain. But after reading up on these, they seem very suited for my styles of music. How do the Lonestars do classic rock sounds? I'd need to play both modern and classic styles, so I was wondering how versatile the amp was. I read that the Special was closer to an AC30 and the Classic was more like a Fender. I think I'd prefer more of a British sound, so the Special sounds more up my alley.

Yeah, I was referring to the Hayseed. Talk to colin617, from what I remember from his bands myspace, he had some great tone, both dirty and clean.
Maybe email the Valvetech company, some boutique companies have weird ways of letting you demo their stuff.