Hey guys. I'm looking for a good overdrive pedal under $200 US. I've read many threads suggesting the Maxon 808 and Ibanez TS9 etc. I have also read, however, that these pedals tend to cut the bass on one's tone, and I love having a good low end in my tone. So basically I'm looking for a good od that does not cut the low end, and that can be used for tightening up an already distorted signal, although I'll also use it as a normal overdrive pedal. I play lots of metal and high gain stuff, but I also play blues and classic rock and even jazz, so versatility would be appreciated. I have an ENGL Straight amp, which is often compared to a Mesa Mark IV. I'm already looking at Barber, Catalinbread, and other similar pedals. I've heard they're good but I don't know which one would suit me better. Some say they are for lower gain, does it mean they can't handle high gain that well (as in tightening it up), or does it just mean it doesn't come with a lot of gain? Also, can I make a pedal as good as these with a BYOC kit? Sorry about all the questions, anything would be appreciated. Thanks!
I'd say have the.spine.surfs build you one He's making mine. You'd have to PM or email him though, he got banned lol.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
I dont notice any loss of bass with my home made tubesreamer. you could just get a bad monkey, instead of a tone knob it has treble and bass knobs.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Yea, I actually think the Bad Monkey is very good, especially for its price, and that's one of the greatest things, the eq knobs. I would prefer to get something of better quality though. I've heard BMs aren't great if you're touring because of reliability. Also, some pedals I'm considering also have the eq knobs, like some barbers and some catalinbreads, as well as the option 5 od.
Quote by DarkPsychedelia
lol, that might make it harder, but thanks for the suggestion. Does he have any clips?

Check his profile, not sure. A few people on here have his pedals though.. I'll soon be on that list.

Honestly if you're willing to spend about $200... Xotic BB Preamp is supposed to be amazing (from what I've been told).
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
I'd say have the.spine.surfs build you one He's making mine. You'd have to PM or email him though, he got banned lol.

He got banned?
not perma banned was it? i liked him. what happened?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Yeah, I knew spine got banned, but he didn't say for how long.
I doubt it's a permaban. I bet it was your typical 30/60 day ban.
I'd definitely have him make you one.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator