So i finally got a band together, and we all are very influenced by Metallica, you can deffinetly hear it in our originals. But we all agree as a band, we want to find our own sound and not be like any of the other bands we hear, but no matter what we do, we can always here that metallica influence in our songs, and they almost sound like they could be Metallica songs themselves sometimes.

So what im asking is how do you really get your own original sound?
Well, I just listened to lots of styles, and took something out of them that I thought would fit or sounded good.

Broaden your horizons, don't limit yourself to Metallica.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
umm maybe add an element of a different style of music to the songs you already have..kind of like how avenged sevenfold added a little punk (whether you like them or not)
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Or go more prog like Protest the Hero. Pick out elements of Metallica that you dislike and improve on those to start off. Or listen to other music to get a different taste in your mouth.
**** Metallica and metal in general. Malmsteen was a classical player before he played anything resembling metal.
Actually.

Try not listening to Metallica for a while. Start listening to something completely different and listen to what sounds cool in the song, and try to incorporate that sorta stuff into your music. Just listen to more bands more often and let it take over your song writing. Or m aybe try and add another member who doesn't like metallica, or at least as much.
well, obviously if you guys are all big metaliica fans, your going to try and sound like them, because you like their sound. Listen to other genres.

2 years ago, I was really getting into SRV, and everything I played, I wanted it to sound like him, but overtime, I branched out, and got into other guitarists and bands and other genres.
I think the best way to "create your own sound" is simply to write riffs/songs that you haven't heard before. If you write a song that reminds you of Metallica, change it. Also, work on finding chord voicing that you like that aren't just your average power chords.

That being said, if you can't find a balance between good music and original music that you like, or your music begins to sound forced, just go with what you know. I mean, there's nothing wrong with sounding like Metallica; last I knew, they were pretty good.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Quote by identityxcrysis
Actually.

Try not listening to Metallica for a while. Start listening to something completely different and listen to what sounds cool in the song, and try to incorporate that sorta stuff into your music. Just listen to more bands more often and let it take over your song writing. Or m aybe try and add another member who doesn't like metallica, or at least as much.

i actually have been, ive been listening to a lot of Jimi Hendrix, i was never really into his music, never learned one of his songs for almost 4 years and then for no reason at all i started listening to his music and have been learning a lot of his songs lately.

and i don't want people to think we only listen to metallica, but we are a hard rock, metal band and really like their music, and think its really fun to play. First time we got through "fight fire with fire" we were just awe struck of how awesome it was. We're trying to get away from it but its hard since its what we like, and one of the few bands that we all like.

Its hard too, b/c our other guitarist was doing a metallica cover band before he joined mine, and he's kind of hooked on it anyway.
Last edited by scguitarking927 at Jul 1, 2008,
Every musician has lot's of different influences. I should imagine that the rest of your band members each have a soft spot for some band or other that the rest of you may not be too familiar with. These are the influences you should be bringing to the rehearsal studio.
This is important because if you all bring the same influence, you end up sounding just like the band that influenced you all.
If the influences brought to the rehearsals are sufficiently different from each other, then a mixture of the various influences should sound quite original.