I need something to record on my mac with. I was going to buy a boss GT-10 in two weeks and use that because it has a usb connection thing on the back to go straight to the computer. It is 500 bucks and I don't want to make a mistake. Would I be better getting a nicer amp, a mic, and an interface thing?

I currently have a crate FXT65 so I know it isn't the greatest SS amp but it can be alright. The Boss has a bunch of amp models and FX so I could get much more of a variety in my sound and some sounds I can't get from my amp.

What should I do?
u can hook ur guitar directly to ur computer and use garage band. that would be a good bet and pretty cheap. garage band is a good program and has great guitar presets.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Quote by riffmasterjosh
u can hook ur guitar directly to ur computer and use garage band. that would be a good bet and pretty cheap. garage band is a good program and has great guitar presets.

That was a pretty simplified way of explaining it.

If you don't like your amp sound, you should really buy a new amp, but if you can't, what you should do is buy an interface that you can plug your guitar into, that goes into the computer, that connects to some amp modeling software and recording software.

For the interface:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-TonePort-UX1-USB-RecordingModeling-Interface?sku=249700

That would work, but if you want more options for the future, you can get this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-TonePort-UX2-USB-RecordingModeling-Interface?sku=249701

Both of them come with amp modelling software, but I understand it doesn't sound too great. If you want you can use the sounds on garageband instead.

EDIT: Also, wait for Moody to get here and give you advice. He actually knows what he's talking about.
Last edited by KetchupLad14 at Jul 1, 2008,
I was looking a lot at the toneport stuff but I don't have that many effects to get a variety of sounds, I figured the GT-10 would be good for that. The presets really don't sound too good though. I have done straight to the mic input on my mac and that's how I got the sound for the song on my profile. I used guitar rig to get the effects though. I don't have the disc to upload guitar rig again.

if i get an interface like toneport, I want it to have a good mic input.
I can get an interface and mic my amp. I'd rather do that than directly into the interface using onboard FX of said interface. I want to be able to get good stuff for vocals as well.
Last edited by kai29 at Jul 1, 2008,
Quote by kai29
I was looking a lot at the toneport stuff but I don't have that many effects to get a variety of sounds, I figured the GT-10 would be good for that. The presets really don't sound too good though. I have done straight to the mic input on my mac and that's how I got the sound for the song on my profile. I used guitar rig to get the effects though. I don't have the disc to upload guitar rig again.

Like I said, you can use the toneport or garageband to get the sounds you want.

Amplitube is another amp modeling software.

Why would you buy the GT-10 if you don't even think it sounds good?

EDIT: Oh, so you're willing to go that way?

Get the Shure SM57. Industry standard amp mic. As for an interface, this should be alright:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FIREBOX-24bit96kHz-FireWire-Recording-System?sku=184133
Last edited by KetchupLad14 at Jul 1, 2008,
presets in garageband don't sound good even when you mess with them. GT-10 sound the best!
I just want to make this clear.

I am NOT an expert on this. I'm just sharing with you the knowledge I have.

That being said, I wouldn't cheap out on the interface if you want a good sound.
You could go with the Toneport UX2 if you really wanted, but I would just save up a little.

Maybe wait for someone else to come with more good suggestions.
well I figure I could record my current amp with no effects except audacity added ones. Or have almost infinite effect and record with that, except no vocals..

thanks for the help