well, yeah, but you wouldn't even notice the difference. Tube amps are louder to the ear than SS amps, so I guess you ca compare wattage when it comes to that.

Example: 30w Tube=Louder than 30w SS.

But, it also comes down to the amp: Like, a 40w blues deluxe isn't as loud as a 30w Bluesbreaker with KT66s.
The difference between 15 and 20 is very minimal. How much distortion and how you set the EQ also has an effect on volume.
I believe this is possible. I've heard that Mesa heads at the same wattage of Marshall heads are louder. Also, things can seem louder with different speakers and such.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
yes wattage is just before it gets distorted
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
i have a 35watt behringer amp, gives a crapload of noises but it got it louder than 60 watt amps
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Quote by the_extremist00
i have a 35watt behringer amp, gives a crapload of noises but it got it louder than 60 watt amps

LOL
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
It's also important to note that wattage is listed as RMS (root mean squared). I think it rates the volume as an average of the loudest it can be. (someone can correct me here, as I don't know for sure lol).
The speaker also makes a difference. 1x8 won't be as loud as a 1x12 with the same head.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by beadhangingOne
It's also important to note that wattage is listed as RMS (root mean squared). I think it rates the volume as an average of the loudest it can be. (someone can correct me here, as I don't know for sure lol).

It pertains to the wattage, not the volume. Wattage is a measurement of power as opposed to loudness. I used to know how to calculate RMS power, but 3 years of not using it has rendered the knowledge unusable (read: I forgot how to do it.).

But power doesn't determine loudness, so a 15 watt amp can be louder than a 20 watt amp.
Quote by himynameisjimmy
for example, is there a chance that a 15 watt amp might be louder than a 20 watt?

My son's 15W Palomino V16 is louder than my 22W Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.

Wattage is a good starting point for how loud an amp will be, but it's not the only factor. Some amps are notoriously loud for their power rating (like the Orange Tiny Terror or Vox AC30), other's that are noticably quiet (like my DRRI).

Tube amps generally sound much louder than SS amps, wattage-wise. A 5W Epi Valve Jr. plugged into a quality 2x12 cab was nearly as loud as a Vox AD30VT in my studio. 1x12 Tube combos in the 30-40W range can give 100W SS halfstacks a run for their money in the volume department.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by the_extremist00

May I ask which model the respective 35watt and 60watt amps were?

I ask because I had a 100watt Behringer, and I could fart louder than it.
Speaker size, open/closed back cabinet, tube/SS. There are alot of factors that determine how the wattage is used. So wattage is not an absolute. I have a 50 watt SS bass amp thats no where near the volume of my little 15 watt SS guitar amp. The ohms of the speaker can influence the volume its easier to push a 4 ohm than it is a 16 ohm.
Basically no. The RMS clean power output of an amp is but one of many factors that affect the volume. Tube amps are putting out more power than the stated wattage when you're getting tube distortion. All speaker cabinets are not created equal - some are a lot more efficient than others.
Am I right in saying that Class A amps will put out a little less volume than Class A/B, because Class A amps turn their energy into more heat?
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
RMS is how many watts an amp puts out before it clips (distorts) thats why you see 500w SS amps, cos they sound **** when the clip. Whereas, generally, you want a valve amp to clip.

E.G. 50w valve amp, 50w before it clips, when it clips, about 90w!
lol@u
Quote by chase312
Am I right in saying that Class A amps will put out a little less volume than Class A/B, because Class A amps turn their energy into more heat?
No. The power rating of an amp isn't a measure of the power it takes out of the wall but a measure of the useful power output into the speakers.
Quote by Blues_King431
RMS is how many watts an amp puts out before it clips (distorts) thats why you see 500w SS amps, cos they sound **** when the clip. Whereas, generally, you want a valve amp to clip.

E.G. 50w valve amp, 50w before it clips, when it clips, about 90w!
Yup...this is the tube/ss volume thing explained perfectly.
Quote by chase312

No. If two amps have the same tube compliment, but one is Class A and the other is Class A/B, the Class A/B amp will have the higher wattage rating and be proportionally louder.

A Class A amp and A/B of the same wattage will have a larger tube compliment in the Class A amp, and the two will be roughly equal in volume if everything else is equal. Some will say that Class A produces additional harmonics making it sound louder, but I'd expect that to be very minimal.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
No. If two amps have the same tube compliment, but one is Class A and the other is Class A/B, the Class A/B amp will have the higher wattage rating and be proportionally louder.

A Class A amp and A/B of the same wattage will have a larger tube compliment in the Class A amp, and the two will be roughly equal in volume if everything else is equal. Some will say that Class A produces additional harmonics making it sound louder, but I'd expect that to be very minimal.

I see, thanks for clearing that up :]
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by smb
Yup...this is the tube/ss volume thing explained perfectly.

Well, that's part of it. Tube amps also start distorting way before your ear picks it up as distortion - your ear just thinks it's clean but louder.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Tackleberry
Speaker size, open/closed back cabinet, tube/SS. There are alot of factors that determine how the wattage is used. So wattage is not an absolute. I have a 50 watt SS bass amp thats no where near the volume of my little 15 watt SS guitar amp. The ohms of the speaker can influence the volume its easier to push a 4 ohm than it is a 16 ohm.

I agree with what you are saying, however, the main reason your bass amp is (perceived as) quieter would mostly be to do with the fact that we (human's) find it harder to hear bass frequencies and so they need to be comparatively 'louder' in order to be perceived as the same volume level.
Adam
Oh, and I think speaker efficiency is more important than speaker size. Of course speaker size is pretty important too.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.