I'm wanting to start gigging. (sounds dirty ) I don't really know how to get my name out there. My dad says to make business cards and take them to places. It will just be me playing my acoustic. I'll need my own equipment, and when it comes to a mixing board and a p.a. i'm completely lost. Like what will I need etc.? And after I get the gear how do I get out there and start raping face?
Start at open mics at local cafes and the rest will work itself out.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by benjammin21
I'm wanting to start gigging. (sounds dirty ) I don't really know how to get my name out there. My dad says to make business cards and take them to places. It will just be me playing my acoustic. I'll need my own equipment, and when it comes to a mixing board and a p.a. i'm completely lost. Like what will I need etc.? And after I get the gear how do I get out there and start raping face?

Doesnt sound dirty to me. :s

But anyway, I wouldnt bother with business cards. What will that do other than tell people you exist.

Record a demo and approach promoters or make friends with some and hassle them for support slots. That's what my band did and it's working really well for is despite the fact that our demo is crap.

Oh yeah, and do it through MySpace. I won't hear none of this "**** MySpace" bull****, it's a brilliant tool for musicians and you should use it to your advantage as most promoters won't book you unless you can prove people will show up to your shows.
I've been here since '04.

i was in an acoustic band for a while before i started playing bass for a bigger band but we found the best way to start was find coffee houses with open mic nights. they usually have the PA and stuff for you...all you need is your guitar and you. then while your playing have like a sign or flyer or something with your name and contact info on it. maybe even make a myspace or some kind of free webpage for artists to upload their stuff...then just like as your closing your set "thank you i'm insert name here. you can hear more at website."

from there, keep doing the same thing at acoustic nights at bars, coffee houses, talent shows...free stuff so you get out there and eventually people will contact you if they like you for paying stuff.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
That's all really good advice. I think I'll try the whole open mic thing. Who knows. And the whole Myspace deal sounds like a sure fire winner
Where I come from it's terrible to get gigs, especially if you play punk rock, no one cares about it. all they care about is boring metalcore or radio rock.

Of course the local punk scene is in shambles.
Quote by original=punk
Where I come from it's terrible to get gigs, especially if you play punk rock, no one cares about it. all they care about is boring metalcore or radio rock.

Of course the local punk scene is in shambles.

Man I couldn't agree more. I'm not big into metal. Honestly I'll listen to just about anything. But most of the local scene is all metal, metal core, hardcore, (and other spin offs) I just wish there was more variety. Ya know?
Underground music, like the New Brunswick, New Jersey scene, and in British Columbia, that's kinda booming. Like for indie, which is really every genre.