I am not very good with the fretboard. I want to know like instantly what fret is what note and the notes across all 6 strings of a fret and everything. I know it will take alot of time to memorize but does anyone have any tips or tricks on how they learned the fretboard. Im simply looking for an effective method and im open to any opinons.
Yeah man thats a no brainer. But what to practice to learn the fretboard faster and more efficiently?
Set a metronome to 60. then choose a note, say C. Now find the two C notes on each string as every beat clicks. Ex. Play 8th fret E string then 20th each quarter notes (one beat)

EDIT: Oh and also Fretboard warrior. Google it. Sorry about the above post but some of us get lazy with questions and tend to answer simply with practice but thats really the best thing to do.
Last edited by Ssargentslayer at Jul 1, 2008,
get a book. I got the guitar fretboard workbook by Barrett Tagliarino and it helped alot. Also, check out this site:

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/

1)Print off a bunch of the fretboard diagrams
2)Do them
3)????
4)Profit.
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
practice is definitely key. but practice means nothing if you can't retain the material learned so find a way that you can relate and retain the information
1 - learn the open strings...E, A, D, G, B, E
2 - familiarise yourself with the pattern of notes along the low E string, you don't even need to learn it by heart yet, just have it for reference.

E F F# G G# A Bb B C D Eb

3 - realise that the 12 fret is the octave of the open string, and therefore the same note.
4 - realise that the pattern of intervals is constant, so 12 th fret onwards is identical to open string onwards.

... as far as working out notes goes you are currently never more than 6 frets away from a reference note. However, counting along 6 frets is kind of clunky and not particularly easy, but it's a start.

5 - learn the notes that correspond to the next open string, so 5th fret on the E, A, D and B strings, 4th fret on the G

...all of a sudden you're never more than 3 frets way from a known reference note. All of a sudden working out the notes you don't know became a lot easier...almost twice as easy, in fact.

6 - locate the other octaves of the open notes, first the ones on the next string... 7th fret on the A, D, G and high E strings, 8th fret on the B string. Then the octaves two strings away so 2nd fret on the D and G strings, 3rd fret on the B and top E.

7 - in the same way, locate the octaves of the notes you learned in step 5

...all of a sudden you're now never more than 1 fret away from a known reference note, which basically means you know them all!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm just a beginner, but I've been using the following method:

1. learn open string notes low to high EADGBE(Eddie Ate Dynamite Goodbye Eddie) and high to low EBGDAE(Easter Bunny Gets Drunk After Easter)

2. learn Low E and A string notes up to 12th fret - Basically the chromatic scale. Learn backwards and forward to know where there is no flat/sharp between B/C and E/F (notice that this occurs on both stirings between frets 7 and 8)

3. use the 2 different octave triangles to find any note using low E and A strings as reference.

Example - can you see the 2 triangles?:

A note on Low E, D and High E strings

e|-----5------------| Same fret on Low E string
B|-----|--\---------|
G|-----|----\-------|
D|-----|-----7-----| Go 2 frets back on Low E string
A|-----|---/--------|
E|-----5-----------|

D note on A, G, and B strings

e|---------------------|
B|-----3--------------| Go 2 frets up on A string
G|-------\-------7----| Gp 2 frets back on A string