Im looking towards to buying an Egnater Tourmaster Combo or a Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace Combo. I play a lot of hard rock, whether it be Guns n' Roses, Velvet Revolver, or Soundgarden. I also like softer stuff like U2 and bluesy stuff like Clapton or John Mayer. I was just wondering what amp would be more versatile and have the capability to play stuff like that. My goal for a sound is to have blues-esque cleans and then heavy grungy and classic rock ods. Which amp would suit me more?
The egnater is such a vastly superior amp that it's not even funny. The tourmaster is an incredibly refined amp that actually sounds good on more than one channel. It's easily the best mass-produced higher gain amp I've played.
My problem with mesa in a nutshell:
Mesa has unfortunately decided to use a ton of gain in their amps and in turn stabilize the gain stages with some shunt and bypass caps that absolutely mangle the high-end. Ever wonder why the dual rectifiers sounds so fizzy and lifeless? That's why. Gain is not a substitute for tone.
I really like the egnater, and agree with what Roc8995 said - depending on where you live you can also save alot of money. I believe the Stilleto combo runs about $1700 usd, musiciansfriend has a scratch n' dent egnater combo for $1200. The egnater has what I've found to be unmatched versatility for the price, try it out.
Quote by Roc8995
The egnater is such a vastly superior amp that it's not even funny. The tourmaster is an incredibly refined amp that actually sounds good on more than one channel. It's easily the best mass-produced higher gain amp I've played.
My problem with mesa in a nutshell:
Mesa has unfortunately decided to use a ton of gain in their amps and in turn stabilize the gain stages with some shunt and bypass caps that absolutely mangle the high-end. Ever wonder why the dual rectifiers sounds so fizzy and lifeless? That's why. Gain is not a substitute for tone.

I've heard that the tourmaster is a roadking copy.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by edge11

Maybe the Road King is a Tourmaster copy?
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by edge11

From what I know of bruce egnater I'd be very surprised if that was true. Plus the egnater has a bunch of stuff the roadking doesn't (power grid, for one) so even if it were based on a mesa design, it's been greatly improved. Unfortunately I can't play them side by side and I don't have schematics for either so I can't investigate more than that. Either way, the Egnater sounds much better to me.

Edit: ^ I didn't think of that. Of course it's possible but again I have no reason to believe that either one is related to the other at all. They certainly sound different.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Jul 1, 2008,
I read the specs on the Egnater and IMO I would probably take it over the Mesa for number of reasons. One of the main pulls is it's supreme versatility and practicality. You can bring the amp down from 100 to 10 watts so you can use it anywhere.
Quote by Roc8995
From what I know of bruce egnater I'd be very surprised if that was true. Plus the egnater has a bunch of stuff the roadking doesn't (power grid, for one) so even if it were based on a mesa design, it's been greatly improved. Unfortunately I can't play them side by side and I don't have schematics for either so I can't investigate more than that. Either way, the Egnater sounds much better to me.

Edit: ^ I didn't think of that. Of course it's possible but again I have no reason to believe that either one is related to the other at all. They certainly sound different.

Isn't the ability to set the wattage and tube use of each channel on the Road King more or less the same thing as the Egnater?
Quote by chase312
Maybe the Road King is a Tourmaster copy?

I think the roadking came first.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Either way, they're both awesome.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Ive heard some problems about the egnater, some saying that its gets screechy and really loud at higher volumes and that the owners just end up returning it.