That vintage tremolos can be set up to float without any routing?

I just read it somewhere, and i'm curious.

Has anyone of you done it before? How can you do it?
Yes

It can be done

Do I know how to do it or have any desire to do so? no
You mean like a fender style trem? Yeah, they don't have to be front-routed to float. They were actually designed to be floating if I remember correctly, but with the invention of things like the FR, most people made them "dive-only". Plus it's just a ton easier. That and they're really not that great anyway (IMO), having them float isn't going to make much of a difference at all.
not at all bro it may go out of tune when doing it:P
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
Quote by Andrusho
I just KNEW you were gonna post in this thread,

Would my guitar be damaged if I do this? What consequences could come out of setting up my bridge to float?

No, as long as you don't really wank on the bar. I really don't suggest setting up the fender style trems to float, because like I said you don't get much and it can be a pain in the ass to make it float.

Plus, my friend set up his junk guitar like this, and it looks REALLY unstable. Like if I would've actually done anything more than subtle vibrato I seriously bet the whole ting would've come off.
Ohhh... Thanks for the information people

I was about to try it but now I don't want to do it. >.>
I have had my Strat setup like that for 13 years and there has been no ill effects. You can always set it back to normal if you don't like it. Jeff Beck sets his this way. Yngwie Malmsteen sets his this way. Ritchie Blackmore sets his this way. I could go on and on and while it doesn't have the range of pull up that a Floyd Rose has it still adds an element to your playing if you don't want to mod it and have a FL slapped in. I don't go out of tune on mine but then I do have locking tuners and a graphite nut. But the $60-70 bucks for those items I would have paid for anyway and the floating stock trem is just an extra bonus.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Quote by edusty2010
Plus, my friend set up his junk guitar like this, and it looks REALLY unstable. Like if I would've actually done anything more than subtle vibrato I seriously bet the whole ting would've come off.

Sorry to say that your friend doesn't know how to set it up then if it looks unstable and ready to come off. The mounting bridge screws aren't messed with and the raise to the back of the bridge is only 1/8 inch so how it looks like it will come off surprises me since the back of the bridge will bottom out on the guitar body before it is pulled off - even if it were possible to pull it off. And if it is a pain and going out of tune as well also points to an improper setup.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
set up properly you can dive bomb and pull up and stay in tune. keep the nut lube and i put a roller string tree on my mim and my guitar stay's in tune great. balance is the key. when your setting up your trem you have to get you strings to fall outta tune all the same flat or sharp. then use the screws on the claw to Balance your trem.
yeah, sure. you just adjust the springs in the back so that the tension is such that the bridge angles forward a little. that way you can get around a semi-tone of up-pull.

EDIT: i have it like that on my tokai goldstar and eggle new york.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?