Hey, I'm going to be away from home for the next few months, without my bass but I'll have access to an acoustic guitar. I was thinking about maybe having some guitar lessons and I was wondering If this would help/hinder my bass playing in anyway. Any help wud b much appreciated
You could just ignore the e and b strings or tune it so its BEADGC and then you could have some fun playing a real short scale six string bass.

But whenever I can't play my bass and only have access to a guitar I either mess about and try and play it awfully or I just ignore the face theres the b and e and play it like a bass and just play some basslines on it, its an octave too high but its better than nothing really.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Anytime you take up another instrument, its going to help in my opinion. It broadens your understanding of music, and will teach you how to relate your bass playing to that other instrument. Plus it just makes you a more well rounded musician.

Another thing is that you will find that after a few weeks of playing something other than your bass, you will come back to bass with a fresh perspective that will more than likely push your bass playing in a new direction.
youl lprobably need to play the bass for an hour to get used toit again - but not really. youll probably find the bass really fresh when you return
Quote by anarkee
Anytime you take up another instrument, its going to help in my opinion. It broadens your understanding of music, and will teach you how to relate your bass playing to that other instrument. Plus it just makes you a more well rounded musician.

Another thing is that you will find that after a few weeks of playing something other than your bass, you will come back to bass with a fresh perspective that will more than likely push your bass playing in a new direction.

+1

You can use that acoustic in two ways: one, play it like an acoustic and don't worry about bass at all for a few months. As you make music with a different instrument, you'll be thinking about how you would fill musical space in with your bass in new ways. two, guiltily play it like a bass on occasion, and see what kind of ideas access to two extra strings, a different timbre, and extra fretboard reach give you. Do both and you'll come back to the bass with some new insight.