Well today I had day off so went and tried both.

s320: Very much a lead focussed guitar. It is a 22 fret which gives a much more loose feel on the neck to a 24 fret. Why I dont know. It was very versatile in the playing style but not very versatile in the sounds available. In saying that I think it would be fine for anything from blues to metal. The body, wow, so small. It was reasonably well balanced considering how light and small the body is. It was like playing with just a neck. The trem is superb. Im comparison the jackson dk I tried, it was a lot nicer and a lot less heavy. Overall it was a weird experience, felt very versatile, but only for lead guitar. The sound was a little, weak.

sz320: Very much a rythym guitar. Very solid feel to it. Gorgeous to look at. Looks, feels, sounds superior to my Schecter c1 elite. It was magnificent on sustain, sounded much gruntier than the s320, was still reasonably lite but had an amazing richness and power to its sound. Pinch harmonics, F me is all I can say. Excellent guitar. Can do lead but without the whammy I think it may also be limited a little.

Very hard choice, one which I still cant decide on.
Last edited by fiztech at Jul 1, 2008,
It'll be easier to put new pickups in the S than to put a trem on the SZ.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly
It'll be easier to put new pickups in the S than to put a trem on the SZ.

yes my thoughts too. i guess new pickups would make up a bit of the sound quality the sz has over the s.

the s is sx though. i dont think there is a better value guitar available?
Wait a second... I've never though about it but is 22 frets neck really shorter than 24 neck? I though they calculated it so that the distant from bridge to headstock should be exactly the same. He mentioned the S320 is more loosen than 24 frets guitar.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

The S has a 25.5" scale and the SZ's scale is only 25.1" if I'm not mistaking.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
But he was talking about the S320, the one with 25.5 scale.

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

yes im unsure why, but it does feel between a strat looseness and an rg, somewhere in the middle. why? no idea

so i think my mind is set on s320 with new pickups
The IFN pickups the S320 comes with is pure bollocks IMO. Get them swapped out for some decent pickups and you'll be much happier.

Regarding the SZ and soloing... Marty Friedman much?
If possible can you measure the total distant of the string from the bridge to the nut? I just did it on my LTD-1000 and it's exactly 25.5"

And.... might be stupid to ask but do they use them same strings?

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

they are very different necks as well which might contribute to it.

would any gfs pickups be worth putting in it?
Of course the S is going to feel 'looser'... it's because of the floating trem.
Quote by sinofian
Of course the S is going to feel 'looser'... it's because of the floating trem.

its not technically a floating trem is it the ZR? i mean its got a stop gate/block at the back similar to a vintage, so no reverse whammy.
^ you can still pull up on it, besides the backstop in it is removable anyway.
Quote by fiztech
its not technically a floating trem is it the ZR? i mean its got a stop gate/block at the back similar to a vintage, so no reverse whammy.

Correct, it's not truly floating, but it's close - you can whammy up and down. In fact, the ZPS only comes in when you whammy down, to stabilise the spring tension. When whammying up, the strings do the stabilising.

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
I'd take the SZ because I don't need a trem.But do you need a trem?That's the main question.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Mwoit
The IFN pickups the S320 comes with is pure bollocks IMO. Get them swapped out for some decent pickups and you'll be much happier.

Regarding the SZ and soloing... Marty Friedman much?

agreed on both points. while the s probably is more of a lead guitar and the sz more of a rhythm, you can play either on either.

as already mentioned, it'll be much easier to switch pickups on the s than put a trem on the sz (which is basically economically unviable- it could cost you more than the guitar's worth).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i might try the new szr520 as the sz whilst cool looking costs $200 more, but pretty much the same guitar.

ultimately though I think i will go with the s320 and possibly a pickup change.

i have seen a used 2005 s470 for sale, but not sure if it has the tension dial on the back and aside from the quilted maple top, i cant see anything thats worth the extra money (its $100 more used, but does come with a case and a SD dimebucker pup)
its very nice looking.

oh the drama of it all ha ha. should be an easy decision.

i went from michael kelly, to wanting a jackson, then back to ibanez.