Page 1 of 2
What is better for metal?

Combo:

Randall 150w Solid State Warhead VS Peavey 5150 212 combo 60w tube

Half Stack:

Randall Warhead 300w solid state stack VS Peavey XXX 120w tube
thats a tough one. depends on what you want you sound to be. I think the warhead amps sound badass. But the peavey is all tube. thats a toss up for me
What type of metal? Which guitar?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Dean Razorback V with Dimebucker. Thrash metal, speed metal, stuff like metallica, slayer, and pantera.
i dont think 150watts solid state would be loud enough for a band situation but im no expert so i could be wrong
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

As I mentioned in my two metal muff review threads:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=857238&highlight=CPB150,
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=897439&highlight=metal+muff
Tube does warm up your signal, so if you want it to be really over the top distortion but have clarity (ala dimebag), then Warhead would be better. However, it will be a two trick pony, with only very good clean and very extreme distortion, but nothing in between.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
I'd say the Peavey XXX or 5150 120w halfstacks. I think they have a wider range of playability and would be better for metal. One thing that really stands out is that they are tube. The XXX or 5150's channels all sound great and can be used to play just about anything. They have a full sound. The warhead does have some excellent crushing distortion, however it sounds too thin to me and doesn't have that deep tone to it.
Quote by InvaderTSN
It's the Asian blood in his veins. It allows him to accomplish things normal people are unable to.

Puberty was very vague. I literally locked myself in a room and played guitar.
the warhead would be a good buy because i think they are out of production now
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Yea, they stopped making them awhile ago. And this music store near where I live is holding a Warhead combo for $750... Is that a good deal?
theres a video on youtube comparing both heads
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
I say get the 5150 or XXX and the later on pick up a RH100 or something for you dimebag tones.. Thats pretty much my setup.. Im running the Ultra which is the pre-cursor to the XXX and the Randall RH100 and love both amps. Also there quite different beasts so its not a either or, in my opinion you really need one of each.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 1, 2008,

The Warhead is an iffy sounding soloid state and the 5150 is a great tube amp.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
The XXX might be better for thrash than the 5150, it has a good hot-rodded Marshall vibe to it.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
if u like pantera's guitar tone, take the warhead, but i dont really like dime's tone that much. the 5150 is more versatile than the XXX, but the XXX probably gets better high-gain
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
if u like pantera's guitar tone, take the warhead, but i dont really like dime's tone that much. the 5150 is more versatile than the XXX, but the XXX probably gets better high-gain

You got the 5150 and XXX mixed up..... Its the other way around...
Dude there is so much fail in this thread....

5150 Combo.

TUBES > SS most of the time
and you dont need a halfstack
have i been messing up this whole time? i thought the XXX's were designed for metal
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
have i been messing up this whole time? i thought the XXX's were designed for metal

You just messed up on the versatile part.. XXX's are more versatile and does metal well vs the 5150 is a metal beast that is a one to two trick pony..
This Thread = obvious fail
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
So can I can get heavier distortion in a Warhead... But better tone in a 5150?
No. 5150s get heavy as anyone would want. It's just that Dimebag used Warheads or similar amps and many people think that means it is better than the XX or 5150.

I say either peavey you can't go wrong. Then again, your username indicates you might like dimebag's tone so you might want the Warhead. Just try out as many as you can. That is the best advice I can really give you.
I cant make up my mind... The main reason I want a Warhead a little more is because I'll probably never find another one. Are the Peavey 5150 combos still in production?
just to let you know i think that dimebag never really used the randall warhead in fact he used the randall rg-100 head and the randall century 200 head and after those the kranksestein for a while.although i am a huge fan of dimebag's tone i would go with the 5150 simply because it's a tube amp and i believe you wiill achieve the tone of dime with it but with the warhead you wont achieve other tubish and more ''clear'' tones.besides that if you learn to play with a tube amp you will autimatically improve your playing it's way different from the solid states.

so for me go with 5150
Gear:

ESP LTD MH-400
Samick Malibu
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12 (V30's)
Line 6 Spider II

Pedals:
Behringer Acoustic modeler,
Jam NS-wah (handmade wah)
EHX LPB-1
Mxr Phase 90

mics: Shure Sm57
Quote by dlmebag
Has anyone tried that amp? I cant find any reviews.

Metalhead765 is correct.

Dime used the century in Far beyond driven and Vulgar display of power. So if you want dimes tone that is the amp to get. Warheads came later as a signature thing.
It wouldn't be hard to get a 5150 to sound like Dime, just lose the mids.
It would be hard to get a Warhead to sound like a 5150, though.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
It wouldn't be hard to get a 5150 to sound like Dime, just lose the mids.
It would be hard to get a Warhead to sound like a 5150, though.

This.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Ill even throw in another suggestion... Get the 5150 and a Line 6 Uber Metal for the dime stuff. That pedal on pulverize is pretty much pantera in a box. So you can save even more money... 5150 combo $500 bucks Pedal $70 bucks and still have some cash left over.
So I should get a Peavey 5150 60w Tube Combo...

Now you guys are saying that dime doesnt use warheads, but in many videos of his when hes younger he is playing on them, and he always wore his Warhead hat... Im confused now.
Also, ONE more question...
Would the Warhead be able to play Metallica or Lamb of God well? What I mean is, will it sound similar, tone wise.
Quote by dlmebag
So I should get a Peavey 5150 60w Tube Combo...

Now you guys are saying that dime doesnt use warheads, but in many videos of his when hes younger he is playing on them, and he always wore his Warhead hat... Im confused now.

Dime played every Randall amp known to man but he did not tour with them. Think of it this way there is a pick of Eddie Van Halen playing a Line 6 spider II or III cant remember does that mean if you buy one its going to get his tone? No it was just a amp he was playing on for kicks.

And of coarse he played it and wore the hat it was his signature line, same thing with his pedal you think he used that on stage.... Its marketing and just tooling around... normal stuff every artist does..
Quote by dlmebag
Also, ONE more question...
Would the Warhead be able to play Metallica or Lamb of God well? What I mean is, will it sound similar, tone wise.

The answer is no... You seem to be missing the point... SS amps sound like and SS amps, tube amps sound like tube amps. Metallica and pretty much every other group that plays metal use tube amps. Dimebag, Static X, Cannibal Corpse and Death used SS amps. The only way to get there tone is to use SS amps to acheive that buzzsaw effect. Tube amps wont sound like that.

I own a Randall that he played and own the pre-cursor to the XXX the Ultra... There two different beasts.

Now that said sure if you want to play metallica on it that is fine but its going to sound like metallica playing SS amps...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 2, 2008,
Page 1 of 2