I am the proud owner of a Mesa/Boogie [Still used the '/' then] Dual Caliber DC-10

Last night and this morning [It's 2:30 am, confusing I know] I decided to kinda clean her up a bit, so I took her all apart. Removed the leather handle, leather corners, all the power tubes [the preamp tubes are too hard to get out and they aren't in the way], removed the reverb tank and chassis from the head case, all the hardware [knobs, sliders, switches] and everything else. Basically disassembled the amp.

I put it all back together, and she fired up just fine.

Then I decided that I wanted her to look pretty so I did some research and found out that the wood is actually really nice underneath the tolex. I didn't have the materials available to do what I want, but I wrote it out on paper. I'm going to remove the tolex, the glue from the tolex, sand it out with some 360 grit sand paper, stain it a dark color, and seal it with some clear coat.

I also wanted the front of the amp to be a wheat color instead of black. [Front meaning where the logo is attached]

I thought "Bleach should do the trick" so I got a spray bottle and filled it half with bleach and half with water. I squirted the mix on the front and waited about 10 minutes... nothing.

So, I spray it on pretty heavy, like, puddles.
45 minutes later, no change.... Except the house smells like bleach.

So then, I pour pure Clorox bleach onto the front of it, but gently as not to waste any. I then rubbed it in with a white towel, and noticed the black was starting to come off on the towel, but no change in the color of the front

So, I turned it upside down, sitting on a strip of paper towels soaked in pure bleach, and then I put about 60 pounds of weight on top of it. I let it sit for 3 hours.

Come back, nothing.

It simply will NOT fade.

Has anyone tried to fade grille cloth like this?

If all else fails, and I haven't ruined the wood underneath, I'll just stain it too, but a lighter color than the head case.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
This may sound REALLY mean... but the whole time i was waiting to read something about you breaking or destroying the amp. Lol.

Why cant you just dry it off completely, find a can of spray paint (automotive paint) that is the colour you want, and just colour it that way? I dont see why you need to get rid of the black.
Quote by Edgey_15
This may sound REALLY mean... but the whole time i was waiting to read something about you breaking or destroying the amp. Lol.

Why cant you just dry it off completely, find a can of spray paint (automotive paint) that is the colour you want, and just colour it that way? I dont see why you need to get rid of the black.

Because spray paint would look really bad, I think

I thought that if the black faded, it would fade into that old vintage wheat color.

But it didn't work.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I think the grilles on those are plastic, or at least some sort of vinyl. That means the color goes all the way through, so you won't be able to bleach it. You can order different grille materials from mojotone.com.
Quote by Roc8995
I think the grilles on those are plastic, or at least some sort of vinyl. That means the color goes all the way through, so you won't be able to bleach it. You can order different grille materials from mojotone.com.

I tore off a strand of it, and its just paper. It's twisted up really tightly, and when you untwist it, it's a strip of black paper that's about half an inch wide.

I'm letting it soak overnight, and if it isn't any better in the morning I'll look into Mojotone. Thanks for the link BTW.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by Edgey_15

I also thought this.

Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Quote by b00m_
I also thought this.

Me too!

I was hoping for much more epic failage, but I guess it's good it didn't happen!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Okay sorry it wasn't so epic :[
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I was waiting to say it didn't go back togethor lol, or the bleach acted like paint stripper and melted the graphics, the knobs and the graphic eq
Quote by minibrowny
I was waiting to say it didn't go back together lol, or the bleach acted like paint stripper and melted the graphics, the knobs and the graphic eq

Lol I didn't bleach there

Everyone on UG gets so much enjoyment of people breaking their amps haha
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by sashki
Stop failing and just buy some replacement grille cloth. You can probably get some directly from mesa/boogie, cos they cover amps in ANYTHING.

Yeah, but boogie isn't going to send me 'custom option' grille cloth for free on a discontinued amplifier.

If I order it I'll have to pay for it, and it's Mesa so of course it's going to cost about 3 times what it should.

If I order it off www.mojotone.com or a similar site I can save a lot of money, and I'll be getting a lot extra.

I'm just having trouble finding the exact color I want.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by 6String-MyThing
**** happens. :-/

Nothings wrong with it haha

I put it back on the head, and it looks just the same.

Kinda smells like bleach but that's nothing a little Febreeze won't fix ;]
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
Yeah, but boogie isn't going to send me 'custom option' grille cloth for free on a discontinued amplifier.

If I order it I'll have to pay for it, and it's Mesa so of course it's going to cost about 3 times what it should.

If I order it off www.mojotone.com or a similar site I can save a lot of money, and I'll be getting a lot extra.

I'm just having trouble finding the exact color I want.

You're cheap! BTW, I thought you were going to say the distortion wasn't br00tal enough so you cut slits on your speakers to get more breakup...
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Quote by leondb
You're cheap! BTW, I thought you were going to say the distortion wasn't br00tal enough so you cut slits on your speakers to get more breakup...

Haha it's a Mesa, br00tal is it's middle name.

And, I would if this was 1965
Actually, if this was 1965, I'd build the first high gain amp and beat mesa to it :p

I'm not cheap, just poor.
And I kind of like getting free gear, and Mesa really isn't the company to ask for that.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Tell them you have their amp hostage and will slit its cone for more gain if they don't oblige... haha. I know what you mean, being on a budget sucks.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Haha, I'm sure they would say go ahead. I don't use Mesa cabs.
And then tehy would ask me to buy a Road King or something
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I though you were going to say something about the bleach getting in your electronics......

But there wasn't any

Just kidding man
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Update: About 12 hours later, a slightly lighter patch has appeared on the cloth! Wooo!

I can only see it when the light is right haha.

I'm moving to Missouri in about 7 days, and the person I'm moving in with owns a furniture store, so I'll have plenty of wood working stuff :]

I'm for sure going to remove all the tolex, sand it down and stain it a dark color. The front that I failed on will be a lighter color, and I'm thinking about getting the logo from a Mark IV [Says Boogie instead of Mesa/Boogie]

Then, I'll probably sell it :]
PM Gpderek09 to join!