a good friend of mine told me the other day that sgt peppers was recorded with all solid state amps. I am well aware that the beatles used vox ac30's which are tube amps, but he seemed quite sure about this information. does anyone know if this is true or not?
thanks alot, dave
Peter Frampton: "Homer Simpson wrecks my pig, Cypress Hill steals my orchestra.... and Sonic Youth is in my cooler! Get outta there you kids!"

Thurston Moore: "Come on Mr. Frampton... you're not gonna eat all that watermelon..."
I'd very much doubt it. If you thought solid state compares badly to Valve tech now, in the 60's it was almost laughably poor in comparison. Just because the st. pepper's album was recorded on such old tech doesn't mean to say the amps were poor as well. (for example, there's an old joke/story - Using a piano part because it sounds like a guitar -
'So why don't you just use a guitar?'
'Oh, we would, but the guitar sounds like a piano')
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
murder your friend
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
The Beatles used a ton of amps on that album. They used :
1963 Voc AC30, 1967 Fender Showman and DeLuxe, 1963 Fender Bassman and Tan Showman, and 1966 Vox Defiant, 730 and 7120.

So beat your stupid friend up.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jul 1, 2008,