What are some good ways to build and/or enhance the strength of ones fingernails? I've tried taking calcium supplements and using clear acrylic polish or whatever but neither of those has really helped. I've heard of somethng flamenco players do involving building layers of superglue and silk up on the nails, but am unsure of how to go about this and how effective it is, anyone ever done this? or have any other ideas? I'm highly considering just getting professionally fake nails, but would like to know what alternatives I have, and no finger picks are not an option, at least not the kind that I've seen.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
grow out your natural nails .. then go to a nail shop and tell them you want gel over your natural .. and it will make your nails much stronger .. i know alot of people that do that .. as far as supplements go .. you can take biotin .. its for your hair and nails and can be purchased as a local vitamin store
take it easy man .. its just a thread
The flamenco solution will strengthen your nails but a down side is your tone will be much less refined so if your planning on playing classical pieces it might not be the best option.
I know Graham Devine uses the lids of those wee thin plastic tubs ye get coleslaw and stuff in as artificial nails and his tone and dynamic range are outstanding.
Quote by Stiofan
The flamenco solution will strengthen your nails but a down side is your tone will be much less refined so if your planning on playing classical pieces it might not be the best option.
I know Graham Devine uses the lids of those wee thin plastic tubs ye get coleslaw and stuff in as artificial nails and his tone and dynamic range are outstanding.

thanks I might try that, but yeah I'm mostly interested in flamenco, but I would like a fairly sharp tone and good dynamics.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
it really depends on whether or not you're willing to grow out real nails or not... my nails are natural and long, i unfortunately have to cut them periodically and start growing again because they tend to be brittle and crack. You can actually use fake nails at the expense of some tone... and some masculinity in my opinion, but its a quick way to get just the right length of nail for the job. I personally am a grooming freak when it comes to my nails, If i see that an edge is getting frayed(which leads to cracking) i cut the part off and file it.
1966 rickenbacker fireglo 335
78' twin reverb (loud awesome tone)

practice makes practice... never perfect
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
thanks I might try that, but yeah I'm mostly interested in flamenco, but I would like a fairly sharp tone and good dynamics.

If you're interested in flamenco your first and utmost interest should be the compas. Everything else is secondary.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club