What are the pros and cons of these two amps? And is 5 watt enough to play wwith a normal acoustic drum set?
the champ was really tinny, havent tried the valve jnr heard its a superior amp though.... I'd think it might struggle with a drum kit, unless ur hooking it up to a cab?
The champ is ****e, the vj is marginally better.

Cranked up in a small room, i think the VJ vould manage providing your drummer isnt a crazy bastard. I got my 10 watt ss amp over our drummer. With minimal headroom, but it was doable.
Quote by johntb
the champ was really tinny, havent tried the valve jnr heard its a superior amp though.... I'd think it might struggle with a drum kit, unless ur hooking it up to a cab?

Ok so the epi seems to be the way to go. Can someone that owns one try and explain how load it is? Like what volume would i put a 50wat tube to get it's volume?

I won't be hooking it up to a bigger cab, the reason I'm getting it is because it's and easy to move around. Would I be able to replace the speaker with anythng bigger?
Last edited by Nugi at Jul 1, 2008,
On it's own it's on par with my Vox 20 watt for volume. Adding amp models from My POD it can get alot louder depending on the model. It actually seems weaker with an ac30 amp model, but gives up some really nice tones (that's the model I plan to use when I try and mic it through my PA).. I also have a peavy transtube 40 watter. It can't touch that thing for volume. That's about as close as I can come to in a volume comparison.

A buddy of mine has an old crate 4x12 cab i'm going to borrow from him when he gets back from vacation. I'm hopeing that something like that will also add to the Vj's flexability..
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
It really depends on what you want to play, if you like to play cleans a lot go for the Fender, it reallly hasn't a lot of break up even when you crank it. The Epi on the other hand is louder due to the bigger speaker, it breaks up a lot sooner and has a lot more grit, you can get some pretty heavy sounds out of it at full volume, Both great for 5 watt amps but for me it had to be the Epi, i tried both and fuond it to be much more versatile
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
the champ's more for cleans and blues and is more american-sounding, the vj more for dirty blues and classic rock and is more british-sounding.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the champ's more for cleans and blues and is more american-sounding, the vj more for dirty blues and classic rock and is more british-sounding.

Yeah, they're two very different amps. The VJ sounds louder, too. I don't know if it's just the 6" speaker in the 600 vs. the 10" speaker in the VJ, or something else, but the difference is noticable.

If you're the only midrange instrument, you might be able to cut thru a bass & drums with a VJ provided they're both reasonable fellows. I'd suggest a minimum of 15W, though, 30W if cleans are important to you.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ yeah, i think the vj probably is quite a bit louder, though i haven't tried the two head to head.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My VJ Combo is loud as hell... Also mine gets louder depending what preset I choose with my Effects Pedal. And I also use a small ART TUBE MP in front of it and it really will BOOST it when you crank up the ART - it has a 12AX7 in it too and you can actually overdrive the lil' bugger.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
The VJ is only really louder because of the bigger speaker, technically the Champ actually outputs slightly more wattage (like an extra watt) and the NFB causes it to have a tad more headroom. However the VJ has more mids...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I've tried the Champ 600 and the Epi Valve Jr. Halfstack head-to-head.

IMO, the Champ sounded very thin and kind of weak, compared to the much fuller sound of the Valve Jr. I can't tell you much about how loud each would go, but they were both decently loud (like solo practice loud) when I was at about 3-4 volume. I think the Valve Jr. was a tad louder.

I haven't had any experience with the Valve Jr. Combo though.
Saint Louis Blues