Poll: Should these threads be allowed?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should these threads be allowed?
Yes, Allow them
62 77%
No, Dont allow them
19 23%
Voters: 81.
Hey guys.
As you may (or may not) know, its currently not allowed, to create "which guitar / amp / etc should I get?" threads, or "I have £££ what should I get?".

I've tried stickying a thread to try group them all together, which has seen a small decrease in the number of these threads.

But heres the question You need to vote on!

Should "Vs","I have ££ what should I get?" etc be allowed?

The vote will be open for a week. After then, ill check it, and decide then.
Cheers
Been away, am back
Bass questions about starter gear are best redirected to the bass forum FAQ. I don't know how the guitar forums do it, or have any particular interest.
Quote by smb
Bass questions about starter gear are best redirected to the bass forum FAQ. I don't know how the guitar forums do it, or have any particular interest.

Yea, I do redirect quite a few threads, but no one ever learns

Been away, am back
Of course they learn - but they're instantly replaced by another noob who hasn't read the rules or the stickies or figured out how to search yet

Edit: you haven't exactly had many views on your new rules thread yet
Well the electric guitar form and the gear forum are pretty much the place for those kind of threads. The thing about the beginner forum is it kind of crosses over with alot of different forums so maybe it should be allowed. Maybe instead of allowing gear threads why dont we all collaborate on some super gear thread for total beginners? It would not need to be maintained that often, and it would mostly cover stuff under $1,000 or something like that since its a beginners forum.

Just a suggestion
Last edited by Flow of soul at Jul 1, 2008,
Quote by Flow of soul
Well the electric guitar form and the gear forum are pretty much the place for those kind of threads. The thing about the beginner forum is it kind of crosses over with alot of different forums so maybe it should be allowed. Maybe instead of allowing gear threads why dont we all collaborate on some super gear thread for total beginners? It would not need to be maintained that often, and it would mostly cover stuff under $1,000 or something like that.

Just a suggestion

Exactly, The G&BB forum seems to be a cross-over of EG, BG and AG for beginners.
I've tried a stickied "what gear" thread, but It feels a little restricted.

On the other hand, when users create there own threads, they're to vague.

I suppose its what the users would prefer.
All suggestions are welcome though.
Been away, am back
It depends really. I don't quite understand the purpose of this forum (and I suspect others don't too.) It isn't stated that it's specifically for techniques or whatever and it's remit obviously goes beyond the "I've got this thing, it's got strings, what do I do with it" in the forum description.

I suspect that this subforum originated just to keep some of the noobishness out of EG, BG and GG&A and it's never been given much thought as to whether it is strictly technique or covers gear too.

I'd suggest it's probably best to keep people asking "I'm thinking of buying my first guitar - is this any good" in here rather than the other forums because people are more mild-mannered in here and won't rip on someone who's asking if a BC Rich gets the most brutal tone but will gently point them in the direction of better starter instruments. Same goes for Line 6 Spiders or MGs.

Oh - and just a thought - I had a look at the rules in here and it's almost unreadable in UG Black. Any chance of making the text anything other than black?
I vote no on threads like

"Hey Yo, I'm new, hook me up"

And I vote Yes on Threads like

"I found this Deal on eBay/Craigslist/etc. Do you think this is a good deal?"

but yeah, maybe move it all to the gear forum.

Really it's kind of silly to ask that question in the beginners forum anyway. becuase the Beginners forums is Mostly Newbs, and then a few select experienced players who are kind enough to answer questions.

Where if you posted the question on the gear forum, you should get a more balanced opinion, from more experienced players.

my 2¢, no refunds.

_________

_________

Patrick
4jacks
email
Yea smb, ill change the colors in a bit
Ill see if theres anything we can do to the forum description in the secret forum.

The way I see this forum is a place for anyone whos new to a certain area of electric / bass / acoustic guitar to ask a question and get a brief question. Whereas if they posted in the dedicated forums, they would get a more detailed explaination from more experienced players.

I dont mind gear requests being made as long as there discriptive. Im against the type of threads 4jacks said "Hey im new, hook me up...".
Been away, am back
Quote by Logz
Yea smb, ill change the colors in a bit
Ill see if theres anything we can do to the forum description in the secret forum.

The way I see this forum is a place for anyone whos new to a certain area of electric / bass / acoustic guitar to ask a question and get a brief question. Whereas if they posted in the dedicated forums, they would get a more detailed explaination from more experienced players.

I dont mind gear requests being made as long as there discriptive. Im against the type of threads 4jacks said "Hey im new, hook me up...".

Making this a more general forum.
Personally I'm against them.

Gear questions IMO should be asked, if not in the respective bass/elec/acoustic forums, then in the gear forum. Often they're wayyy too vague and they detract from general playing/basic technique building/theory questions.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
While people are right that user thread are usually very vague when you're first starting out how do you not make something vague? Most people come to this forum as there information source and this is the beginners forum. Beginners usually dont know what the heck they are doing. Making a rule against vague threads would kind of go against the point of a beginners forum because I know when I was starting out I didnt know anything but that I had this burning passion to play guitar.

I dont know just a thought, back to metronome exercises
Last edited by Flow of soul at Jul 1, 2008,
Quote by Flow of soul
While people are right that user thread are usually very vague when you're first starting out how do you not make something vague? Most people come to this forum as there information source and this is the beginners forum. Beginners usually dont know what the heck they are doing. Making a rule against vague threads would kind of go against the point of a beginners forum because I know when I was starting out I didnt know anything but that I had this burning passion to play guitar.

I dont know just a thought, back to metronome exercises

Not necessarily vague threads, but how many guitars can be suggested when someone says "I need a guitar between $150 - $200"? A couple hundred?

Not to mention that most of the people here are beginners in their own right, and woulden't be able to give as sound advice as in the other forums.

Just IMO
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Garou1911
Not necessarily vague threads, but how many guitars can be suggested when someone says "I need a guitar between $150 - $200"? A couple hundred?

Not to mention that most of the people here are beginners in their own right, and woulden't be able to give as sound advice as in the other forums.

Just IMO

Eh, there are quite a few people here who give good advice. I see a lot of regulars who give good advice and post a lot.

But it's a good point about the many options of guitars between set amounts of cash.
Quote by Ze_Metal
Eh, there are quite a few people here who give good advice. I see a lot of regulars who give good advice and post a lot.

I'll grant you that, there are some regulars here who give top notch playing advice that I have great respect for (IE; Steven Seagull, Zaphod Beebler[or however you spell your damned name ], Logz, etc). However, people who are experienced in electric guitar are going to hang around the elec forum, while people experienced in bass are going to be in the bass forum etc etc. It just makes more sense to ask where the players are insted of asking in a forum that's based on offering playing suggestions and basic theory answers.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
the which gear/guitar/amp thread has died. all of the posts are requests and nobody is getting any answers, so i think this might be a good idea
Yes I think these threads should be allowed in the proper forums. I used to browse paintball forums and these threads were the base of a good forum. Think about it most these threads are made by upcoming guitarist if everyone helps them now we would be good to go later on. sorry about spelling or grammer i started parting for the forth early.
by LazyLatinoRocke
At least you didn't walked in on your cousin and girlfriend going anal.
Hi Logz. I think this is the second time I've posted in your little forum here but I read thru it everyday. You're right nobody reads the rules. And very few it seems understand what all the different forums on UG are for. I link new guitarists to this forum several times a week from the pit or the newbie forum. Don't know how many actually show up here though
Anyways I voted no in your poll. There are forums dedicated to gear already with some excellent threads on the subject at hand. I think maybe a sticky with the appropriate forums for particular questions might help but I doubt it. People always ask before looking.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Thanks for your ideas, input and suggestions guys.
And thanks jackal ^_^, theres loads of newbies that come in here

How about a compromise, users are allowd to post "what gear should I get" threads in the forum and wont get warned, but the thread will get moved to the relevant forums?
Been away, am back
^ I think that's an excellent idea.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
^ I second that
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
honestly, i think you should let "beginning players" start threads here. but only if you see that seasoned players are giving them answers.

if you let beginners advise on Which Guitar / Amp threads, you'll get some iffy advice.

i think it'll bring traffic to this section, and that's good.

but you will need to keep a close eye on it for a while.

i'll check in on the thread (if you merge it to one thread or leave it as many) if you want, and i'm sure steven "mark" seagull will too, as well as some others.

just reading over, i guess moving the threads is fine too, but why not give basics section a boost in posts.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by Logz
How about a compromise, users are allowd to post "what gear should I get" threads in the forum and wont get warned, but the thread will get moved to the relevant forums?

Ok I think this would be a good idea since there are not that many gear threads popping up now anyway. Most of the new posters dont even read the rules so its not like they know if gear threads are allowed or not.