Hey everyone! I'm thinking about getting a Roland Cube 20X... It's got effects such as Chorus, Flanger, Tremolo and Phaser built in... how good are these effects? I know what Tremolo does, but have no idea about the others. What do they do?

Thanks
-The Gore Child
They sound pretty good as I recall. There is a damn good vid on youtube of a guy demoing the effects.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Yeah, search Johnny De Marco, he demos them. He's a bit of a laugh but he's an astonishing (I feel dumb, sp?) guitarist and a great demoer. He goes through the effects. I think theres a video of the 20x, if not then look at the Cube 60 video and you'll get an idea of them.
chorus is like a doubled-up sound. it duplicates the signal, and kinda "wobbles" it a little to give slight variations in pitch and timing to give the image of more than 1 guitar playing what you play.

flanger works similarly, but delays and modulates the duplicated signal more, usually at a slower rate too, so the variations in pitch and timing kinda grind against each other and make a sort of dissonant sweepy sound.

i'm not sure how phaser works, but its like a flanger only more airy and wooshy.

yeah, it is difficult to put flange and phase into words. very psychadelic effects. these effects were originally used in the mid/late 1960s to go with the psychadelic music, a little fact is that John Lennon came up with the term "Flanger", as the effect was first used on his voice (during the Revolver sessions).
Live Rig January 2018

Fender Baja Telecaster/Danelectro DC-12
Boss TU-3, Ibanez TS9, Fulltone OCD 1.7, Boss CS-3, EHX Small Clone, MXR Carbon Copy
1964 Vox AC30TB with '69 Rola G12M "blackbacks"
Elixir Nanoweb 10-52 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks