Hi,

I am buying a PRS guitar and i have asked for a stoptail. My music is not really too hardcore or 80s sounding at all, so i cannot imagine using a whammy bar in my songs. The guitar i have now also has a stoptail. But then not having the option to use one when i am playing it, kinda annoys me... especially because i am getting a PRS custom so i am spending quite a bit.

I have read that stoptails are much more dependable in terms of tuning stability and have greater sustain. Is the difference really that much? Is it true that when you are bending there might be some detuning with a tremolo bridge? I mean would it be apparent in a gig?

Thanks for your help!
Dimis
Go with the trem option - they ain't that much harder to re-string, and at least you've got the option there is you want to use it. And I've never noticed much difference between trem and hard-tail guitars for stability and sustain.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
i went for a trem on mine even though i dont use it much and often the bar isnt even in, but i figure for the cost of these guitars it was better to have the trem if i get into using it later
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
does the tremolo have a locking top nut? if not then the tuning will be more stable on the stoptail if it does have a locking top nut then the tuning will be more stable on the tremolo guitar.
I have a PRS with a stoptail bridge and I love it. It took a while getting used to after having a guitar with a tremelo bridge on it, but now that I am it made me realise I never used the whammy bar on my other guitar.
PRS use more of a Strat-styled trem, so you can't do extremely crazy stuff with it. The tuners themselves (or whatever that thing is you put the string through) actually screw down to lock the string in place. Mine stays in tune fairly well, even if I'm attempting dive bombs and stuff.

Edit: another thing to note is that the bar doesn't screw in. Although the grip is pretty good, I played one that was a few years old and the bar kept slipping out. You probably can just replace the little part in the bridge that holds it though.
Last edited by Eminored at Jul 1, 2008,
thank you for your messages, i ll go for the stoptail. if i decide to start using one i ll just buy another guitar, that looks the part too. something from ESP perhaps... lol
Quote by dimis
thank you for your messages, i ll go for the stoptail. if i decide to start using one i ll just buy another guitar, that looks the part too. something from ESP perhaps... lol

Are you made of money?
no, i have a normal job. but no family. so i can spend it all on me