Page 1 of 3
Well, first of all I'd like to mention that I'm in Wisconsin.

I used to play in a band with this guy who left his amplifier at my house. We had a verbal agreement that he could keep it here, which I'm considering effectively over on April 8th, the day we kicked him out of the band and he asked if he could get his amp back. I told him it was avaialbe for him to pick up and he never came to get it. He asked for it back again on April 29th and I told him the same thing again, and he never came. On May 18th, I told him through email he had "a week or so" to come pick it up or I was going to get it fixed (it was broken) and start using it. He told me he would be out of town and wouldn't be free to come get it until June 1st, and I never heard from him again so I got it fixed and tried to sell it. He saw the ad posted and emailed me angrily on July 27th, 40 days after I told him he had a week or so to pick it up and 80 days after he first asked for it back. I told him that after 30 days it's considered abandoned, which I've only heard secondhand. But all I asked was that he pay me back for the repair fee and he refuses to do that and keeps telling me that it was illegal to get it fixed. So I told him that he has 30 days to either pay me back and pick up the amp, or cite a particular law showing that I was out of bounds in getting it fixed and then pickup the amp, otherwise I will be getting rid of the amp after 30 days.

He showed me this: http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0177.pdf.

I'm not sure what half of that means, but it seems to me most of it is about money and safe deposit boxes, not stuff left on other people's property. Anyway, I'm willing to concede that he is right if he is, but could anyone tell me if this document is applicable? Or point me in the direction of something that is?
A friend left something at your house.

Just leave it in a corner or something.

I think your first incorrect assumption is that anything left on your property for long enough becomes your property. I'm pretty sure it doesn't.
Just quickly scanned through that and it says to be unclaimed property, or abandoned, it must have been left for 5 years.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
It's still his amp. Unless you've paid him for it or he's agreed to give it to you, it very likely isn't yours to keep. You don't just decide that it's now your property That's called theft. I'm not up on the actual specifics of the law, but it's simple common sense.
unclaimed property takes a helluva lot longer than 30 days to become uncliamed property in the eyes of the law
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
Tell us more!

Brand of amp, what you had to repair on the amp, cost of repairs, etc.

Reason is, this whole thing may turn out to be more trouble than it is worth
LollipopSkeletonsLollipopSkeletons
This has gotten pretty out of hand. Just give him a call telling him to come round for a beer and remind him to take the amp with him when he leaves. He gets his amp back, you get over the stupid argument and everyone's happy.
You're a dick.

Seriously, why would you sell somebody's equipment?

Basically everything you said in that post was wrong.
Someone did the same thing to me. He left his bass amp here, after he quit our band, we didn't even fire him. I told him to come get it, he wouldn't and after asking him about 5 times to come get it I just abandoned the idea and kept it for myself. I still have it and he's definitely not getting it back.

I say keep his amp or sell it. What's he gonna do? The worst is call the police which they might do something about it, then you have to give it back and talk yourself out of it saying he left it at your house. Not many people actually follow up with legal action if you just act like you know what you're doing.
He left it here for two months, I told him to come get it or I would get it fixed. I did, and NOW he wants it back without repaying me. He had alot of time to take it back, and he never did, I gave him a deadline, extended that deadline, and he still didn't take it. Now all I'm asking for is recompensation. 35$ for the repair fee.
Does it take that much place or what's the problem here? Why can't you just keep it at your place for a little while?

If that freaking amp is so ennoying, just give it to him instead...

Baby
Quote by cutslikedrugsx
He left it here for two months, I told him to come get it or I would get it fixed. I did, and NOW he wants it back without repaying me. He had alot of time to take it back, and he never did, I gave him a deadline, extended that deadline, and he still didn't take it. Now all I'm asking for is recompensation. 35$ for the repair fee.

So because you gave him a deadline you deem "reasonable" it becomes law that if he doesn't pick it up in that period of time the amp is legally yours? You can see why that doesn't work, right? I agree it was a long time for him to leave it there and all that but it doesn't make it your property.
If it's only $35 then just give it back to hom, or ask for like half or something. It is technically still his and you were just a nice guy and got it fixed. Legally speaking it is still his, despite the fact that you got it repaired.
Quote by Eminored
Hentai. It's a completely different world that will rip your eye-sockets and and skull-screw you with its tentacles.
What you should have done is left it outside your house and said if you want it come get it.

If he doesn't want it then some other lucky guy can have it. It's not like you're breaking the law doing that.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Don't worry about the $35, just be the better man and give it back to him...

[but be sure to break it first]
You can't sell someone else's stuff, and you shouldn't have repaired it without his consent. It's his amp. He shouldn't have to pay for the repair, maybe he would've rather done it himself. My suggestion is to just use it until he comes to get it. or just drive it to his place if you really want to be rid of it so badly.
The setup:
Fender MIM Fat Strat (midnight wine)
Fender Blues DeVille 410
Digitech GNX3 Multi-effect
Fender CD140SCE Acoustic-Electric
Quote by cutslikedrugsx

So you're saying that because you set an arbitrary date, that makes it alright and somehow legal? If he didn't agree to that deadline as a verbal contract, it doesn't matter what you decided. And furthermore, you got it repaired without his permission and then expect to be paid for a service he didn't ask for? You're basically in the wrong in all areas.
If he broke it then you would have had no business getting it repaired, so I'll assume you broke it. In that case you have no right to be demanding money. The amp probably isn't taking up a lot of space in your house...I'm guessing you've fallen out more because you kicked him out of the band than because he left his amp there. Seriously, have a drink together and put all this crap behind you. Forget the money (it's nothing anyway)
just kick his ass and take the amp
Your dreams are all out of focus;
Knock you up when you're feeling down.
And all the world feels so unreal...

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Hitler was really smart and could have been a good leader but he was kind of a douche to the Jews.
You should probably just give it back. In the eyes of the Wisconsin State Law, as far as I can see, you're still in the wrong. You couldn't really claim negligence on his part.
You just keep telling him to come and get it. If he doesn't, and the 5 year mark passes, it's yours.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
If he doesn't want to come get it, just keep telling him to do that. If he actually comes and gets it, then it's over and not bothering anyone anymore. If he decides to just forget about it, then have fun with your new amp.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

*CoughTsisadickcoughhackhackarrggcough*
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Leave it out in the street and tell him that he best get his ass over to collect it otherwise he'll be down an amp.

If the TS can't legally claim it, theres no chance he has legal responsiblity to keep it in his home.
Another fine example of "Uh oh, I'll ask The Pit for it's opinion instead of consulting a(n) *insert profession here*."

Why must people do this?
/facepalm
he should pay you for the repair, but yeah it takes a long time for something to be unclaimed, I don't even think the time would've started yet anyway since you've been in constant contact with him about it. Legally you have to give him the amp, and if he doesn't pay you I guess you could go to small claims court over it, but that would be a waste of time and you might not even win.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
If I left my amp at someone's house and they think they can sell it after 2 months I'll ****ing stab that mother****er dead.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Quote by Eternal_One
If I left my amp at someone's house and they think they can sell it after 2 months I'll ****ing stab that mother****er dead.

Well it would teach you not to be an unreliable dickhead.

Honestly, this guy sounds like he's just taking the piss.
You've had it for what, 3 months at least?
If the guy is gonna threaten you with LEGAL action if you sell it tell the cocky little wanker to come and collect it if it's that important to him.
You should not have repaired it without his consent. That would be like, leaving your Guitar at your drummer's house, and him going and havin it professionally set-up without even asking you. You don't mess with others equipment. He doesn't have to pay you back because he might not have wanted it repaired, if he wanted to repair it he would have by now, therefore should not pay for what YOU decided to do. Give him back his Amp, quit whining about the money, Don't mess with others equipment.
Just give it back, you can't prove any sort of verbal agreement since he wants it back.
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Quote by Retro Rocker
Well it would teach you not to be an unreliable dickhead.

Honestly, this guy sounds like he's just taking the piss.
You've had it for what, 3 months at least?
If the guy is gonna threaten you with LEGAL action if you sell it tell the cocky little wanker to come and collect it if it's that important to him.

You are obviously blind or stupid because he said he already tried that over 4 times.

TS is in the wrong legally. And at the end of the day, that was his question, and that is the end of the story.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Dude, it isn't yours to sell. Son technically you can't sell it, you can only wait for the guy to pick it up.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Call him and tell him to come get it or it is staying outside until he gets it. Make sure you speak directly to him, tough.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
You shouldnt charge him for the repairs or sell the amp

Thats rediculous
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
..sounds like you're being a bit of a dick. just give the guy his amp back.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by esther_mouse
..sounds like you're being a bit of a dick. just give the guy his amp back.

I'm morally siding with the TS. He gave the guy ample time and warning and the guy couldn't even be bothered to pick it up.

but legally TS is in the wrong.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I'd tell him to pick it up, then don't answer the door. Repeat several times and he'll leave you alone.

/Master plan.
Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm morally siding with the TS. He gave the guy ample time and warning and the guy couldn't even be bothered to pick it up.

but legally TS is in the wrong.

+1
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Page 1 of 3