I have a 1x12 combo and it has an open back. Would I get more pleasant results with a 1x12 open back extension cab or a 1x12 closed back extension cab?
Schecter C-1 Classic (Coming Soon)
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish and Chips

Guitar Rig 3
"Pleasant" is very vague and subjective.

What amp is it, and what kind of music do you play?
The amp I'm using is the Peavey XXX in my sig. The music I play is metal, mostly Metallica and Pantera. Any responses?
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
Last edited by neon10th at Jul 1, 2008,
Metal is more fit for closed back, IMO

Better bass response mainly.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
But how would the closed back sound WITH the open back in the combo?
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
Quote by chase312
Metal is more fit for closed back, IMO

Better bass response mainly.

+1

Quote by neon10th
But how would the closed back sound WITH the open back in the combo?

First, are you sure that you can plug an extension cab in, and have the internal speaker still run? Many amps automatically cut out the internal speaker when an external speaker's plugged in.

That being said, with the two together, the closed back cab should aid you in supplying a tighter bottom end while the open back continues to fill the room. The open back will be heard as louder everywhere but directly in front of your amp, where the closed back speaker will dominate (assuming the speakers are similar).
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania

First, are you sure that you can plug an extension cab in, and have the internal speaker still run? Many amps automatically cut out the internal speaker when an external speaker's plugged in.

Well, I guess it should still be running. That's why it's called an extension cab. I plugged a cable into the extension cab out and the internal speaker did not cut off. Does that mean it will not cut off if I plug a cab in?

That being said, with the two together, the closed back cab should aid you in supplying a tighter bottom end while the open back continues to fill the room. The open back will be heard as louder everywhere but directly in front of your amp, where the closed back speaker will dominate (assuming the speakers are similar).

Thank you. The speakers I will get will be the same. I guess I'll get the closed back cab.
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3