to put this, but what is a gain/drive/lead channel?

no **** its added distortion and volume etc but in terms of what the amp is doing what is it?

is it like pushing the tubes hard enough for them to break up but have a master volume switch keeping it at a reasonable level?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by sashki
It increases the gain factor on the preamp, methinks.

ya thats one of the things i was think

note: im not a complete noob here im just trying to learn all of the technicalities of a very basic concept

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I THINK this is right, but I may be corrected on a few things.

Imagine a head with the following:
treble, mid, bass, volume, and one preamp tube

To get any distortion at all, you would have to turn it up past 8, where you would start to get some crunchy tones. Anything lower than 8 or 9 would just be clean tone. This is caused by the preamp tube starting to clip and the power tubes starting to clip.

Now, imagine this.
treble, mid, bass, gain, volume, and with 5 preamp tubes

With the gain on one or two, you sound just like the first amp, because you're sending the same amount of preamp distortion to the same amount of power tube distortion.

Now, you turn the gain up halfway. You're sending much more preamp distortion because you're clipping out not one but 2 or 3 preamp tubes.

Now, you turn the gain up to 10. You're sending a TON of distortion because you're clipping out all 5 preamp tubes.

Your clean channel may or may not have a gain knob, and if it does it will only use a small amount of gain, whereas the lead channel will use a lot more.

Then, to wrap it all up, your master volume can allow you to get crunchy tones at a low volume level. The louder you turn it up, the better because of saturation [in most cases] but you can still achieve high gain at low volumes because of preamp tube distortion.

If any of this is wrong, please correct me. I know a lot about how amps sound, but not a lot about how they work.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!