So I just returned my piece of crap Spider Valve HD 100 and bought a Mesa Express 5:50. Obviously, there's a huge tonal difference between the Mesa and the Line 6, but the Mesa isn't quite as versatile when it comes to areas such as delay and chorus. I also need a bit more foot controllable overdrive for heavier leads and such. I have a PodX3 Live that crapped out on me that I plan on selling, and I was considering a GT10. The built in Phrase Looper is what took the cake for me on that. However, I'm not against buying individual effects. I'd like to have a nice delay pedal and potentially a looper (Akai Headrush), but I'm completely in the dark about the distortion. i was thinking about a Tube Screamer, but I'm just not sure. Recommendations?

------------
Gibson Les Paul Studio (Alpine White/Gold)
Fender Standard Telecaster (Classic White)
Gretsch Electromatic Special Jet (Black)
Martin DCX1E
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Orange Crush 15R
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:50
Macbook Pro/OS X/Logic Express
Macbook Pro/Ubuntu
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Jul 1, 2008,
Since it seems like you're looking for various general categories of effects, rather than very specific tones based on very specific albums or artists, I would absolutely get another POD X3 or a GT10 or an ME-50 or something like that. I've used an ME-50 and my POD X3 Live at high volume next to another guitar player who was using an actual Ibanez Tube Screamer, and we couldn't tell the difference between either of my modelled versions of the Tube Screamer and his actual one, all 3 sounded IDENTICAL. Plus, since you're looking for a bunch of other effects, you'll save a lot of effort putting together individual pedals, cables, power, etc. The only bad thing I can see, as you've already learned, is that you only have a single point of failure. I'm worried about that myself, actually, as I start to play out pretty soon, whether I need to keep both multi-fx units handy in case one dies.
what loop is in your mesa? from what i hear, there can be difficulties setting up a Boss GT effects with a parallel loop. it apparently works better with a series effects loop.
I'm absolutely trying to stay away from the Pod X3 Live. All of the stomp switches have stopped working because of crappy construction in the circuit board beneath them. I love the ida of the GT-10, and have played extensively with a GT-6. There is only an effects loop out on the Mesa. It's designed for use with rackmounted effects, so I guess I'd have to run an effects pedal in front of the amp. I know that's less than ideal, but I don't have many other options.

------------
Martin DCX1E
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Orange Crush 15R
Macbook Pro/Ubuntu
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Jul 1, 2008,
Quote by theoreticmusic
I'm absolutely trying to stay away from the Pod X3 Live. All of the stomp switches have stopped working because of crappy construction in the circuit board beneath them. I love the ida of the GT-10, and have played extensively with a GT-6. There is only an effects loop out on the Mesa. It's designed for use with rackmounted effects, so I guess I'd have to run an effects pedal in front of the amp. I know that's less than ideal, but I don't have many other options.

------------
Martin DCX1E
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Orange Crush 15R
Macbook Pro/Ubuntu

If u think a x3 is build weak then sorry but boss isnt your choice .

Get me-50 since you wont use modulation or for recording.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by theoreticmusic
There is only an effects loop out on the Mesa. It's designed for use with rackmounted effects, so I guess I'd have to run an effects pedal in front of the amp. I know that's less than ideal, but I don't have many other options.

The mesa has a sentt and a return. I don't know where you got the idea from that the mesa has only a "effect loop out" (even if there is nothing on the amp that is named effect loop out).
just scroll down to the pic of the back of the amp where it says "External Switch Jacks".

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Express/Express.htm

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
The mesa has a sentt and a return. I don't know where you got the idea from that the mesa has only a "effect loop out" (even if there is nothing on the amp that is named effect loop out).
just scroll down to the pic of the back of the amp where it says "External Switch Jacks".

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Express/Express.htm

I mostly got that idea from the apparently idiotic salesman. Plus the fact that I haven't yet bothered to check it. The ME-50 doesn't seem like a great value to me. As I said before, the GT-10 includes a phrase looper, which is incredibly appealing. And the only reason why I think the PodX3 is a weak build is because it was. When they were first released, the circuit board the stomp switches activate was glued in place, and the switches screwed into that board. Gradually, all of my switches became loose as the board itself did. Line 6 refuses to fix this under warranty, so I have to pay out of pocket for a new circuit board, switches, and labor.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
haha ok. I still would stick with single stompboxes instead. Thats because you would have to choose where to put the multi-fx.
1. in front of the amp (aka between guitar and amp)
+ stuff like overdrive, wah or distortion will sound good
- stuff like delay or looper may not

2. in the effect loop
+ stuff like delay or looper are often placed in the loop because the sound better there (at least my opinion)
- overdrive and distortion will sound ****ty in the loop
* wah is something that really depends on what you are after and goes good in both positions

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2