Gleetings

Legend has it that Tube amps will be louder than Solid State amps of the same power rating.

If you take a 100 watt tube and solid state head, and plug them into the same cab, with the same speakers, same cable, same guitar etc. and turn the volume to 10 on both, is the tube amp guaranteed to be louder?

If yes, why?

It actually makes sense that the SS should be louder, cos tubes emit a lot of heat, implying that they're less efficient.

Can someone explain?
Yes, because the way our ears perceive the sound from vacuum tubes makes them appear louder.

Even if you were producing an A at 440hz... a constant, unchanging tone, the tubes would sound louder.

Also, the SS will break up exponentially, causing horrid sounds from the abyss.

The tube amp would sound quite nice, given that the treble was cut back a bit and there wasn't too much bass :p
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
Yes, because the way our ears perceive the sound from vacuum tubes makes them appear louder.

Even if you were producing an A at 440hz... a constant, unchanging tone, the tubes would sound louder.

Also, the SS will break up exponentially, causing horrid sounds from the abyss.

The tube amp would sound quite nice, given that the treble was cut back a bit and there wasn't too much bass :p

...is that really the only reason?

Can we please not turn this into a "SS amps suck, get a Valve Junior" thread? Not all SS amps are horrid. Not all tube amps are vastly superior.

Is perception really the only reason?
Quote by sashki

Can we please not turn this into a "SS amps suck, get a Valve Junior" thread? Not all SS amps are horrid. Not all tube amps are vastly superior.

He's not bashing SS amps he is telling you what happens when you crank them to ten. SS amps have a bad issue of clipping so that 100 watt amp at 10 would sound horrible but sound perfectly fine at like 5.

And yes its how our ears perceive tube amps.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 1, 2008,
Quote by sashki

I have NEVER recommend a Valve Junior.

And, lighten up, I was trying to be just a little funny.

I'm an asshole, I'm sorry.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Valve amps are analogue
Solid State amps are digital

Because of this, a valve amp amplifies far more frequencies than a solidstate amp, thus, our ears percieve the volume to be greater from the valve amp.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
Valve amps are analogue

Because of this, a valve amp amplifies far more frequencies than a solidstate amp, thus, our ears percieve the volume to be greater from the valve amp.

Yngwi3 makes a noobish reply? its the end of the world...

Not all solid state amps are digital. I shouldn't even need to explain this to you.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Yngwi3
Valve amps are analogue

since when are SS digital ?
Quote by The red Strat.

Line 6 is an example of a digital SS amp.. I think?

I don't know how to classify a SS amp... It's not what I think of as analog [tubes] but it isn't a computer either [digital]
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312

I don't know how to classify a SS amp... It's not what I think of as analog [tubes] but it isn't a computer either [digital]

a solid state amp is an amp which uses transistors and/or diodes instead of valves. Digital circuits do use solid state components, but that doesn't mean every solid state circuit is digital.
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by chase312

sure, but that's just a SS amp with modeling added. that doesn't make the transistors digital.

a SS amp is an amp that uses transistors as opposed to tubes to amplify a signal.
it's as simple as that. every transistor is analog, but a SS amp can have modeling aswell.

EDIT: beaten to it for the second time, damn you, blompcube !
Quote by Blompcube
a solid state amp is an amp which uses transistors and/or diodes instead of valves. Digital circuits do use solid state components, but that doesn't mean every solid state circuit is digital.

So, a tube amp is an analog amp
A solid state amp is a solid state
and a digital amp is digital.

Is that right?
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
So, a tube amp is an analog amp
A solid state amp is a solid state
and a digital amp is digital.

Is that right?

not really...

tubes are analog, but tube amps can have modeling (digital) added.
same for solid state.
and of course a digital amp is digital, otherwise it wouldn't be digital, now would it ?
Quote by The red Strat.
not really...

I'm so confused just forget it haha
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Alright, that makes more sense.

thanks

well, I think that this pretty much concludes this thread.

so, I'll shut her down..

/thread :]
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by Blompcube
Yngwi3 makes a noobish reply? its the end of the world...

Not all solid state amps are digital. I shouldn't even need to explain this to you.

Quote by The red Strat.

I don't mean digital as in digital sounding or anything like that, I mean it in terms of electronics -
SS = transistors, transistors = digital.

No?
If I'm wrong, put me out of my shame That's what I've been working off for however long I've 'understood' valve/ss...? haha
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by sashki
If you take a 100 watt tube and solid state head, and plug them into the same cab, with the same speakers, same cable, same guitar etc. and turn the volume to 10 on both, is the tube amp guaranteed to be louder?
Yes, because all amps power ratings are measured to the point before the amp starts to distort. Tube amps distort nicely at higher volumes, so you can turn them up to a higher than that point without it sounding horrible.
Quote by sashki
It actually makes sense that the SS should be louder, cos tubes emit a lot of heat, implying that they're less efficient.
Power ratings are only about useful power. Nothing to do with efficiency.
Quote by Yngwi3
I don't mean digital as in digital sounding or anything like that, I mean it in terms of electronics -
SS = transistors, transistors = digital.

No?
If I'm wrong, put me out of my shame That's what I've been working off for however long I've 'understood' valve/ss...? haha

yeah yeah, i know that.

no, transistors are just as analog as tube amps. the fact that most modeling amps are SS probably confuses you.
Quote by The red Strat.
yeah yeah, i know that.

no, transistors are just as analog as tube amps. the fact that most modeling amps are SS probably confuses you.

Oh right...haha.
Yeah you're probably right xD
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by The red Strat.
yeah yeah, i know that.

I learned something today.

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the way things work... I really want to build my own amp/s

Basically, I want to first learn to build an amp from a kit [Like the 18 watt Marshall kit you can buy that includes all the parts and instructions :p]
And then, I want to learn to mod that amp,
And then I want to learn how to build my own.

But I also want to learn how to stop hijacking other people's threads. I do it all the time and I feel like a jerk, honestly.

Sorry TS :[
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by Yngwi3
I don't mean digital as in digital sounding or anything like that, I mean it in terms of electronics - SS = transistors, transistors = digital.

No?

no, single components can't really be classed as analogue or digital. Its difficult to explain, but transistors have been around much longer than the concept of digital electronics.
Rig Winter 2017:

...do fish ever get thirsty?
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!