Page 1 of 2
I'm an Atheist, although I have complete respect for religion. Recently, I've wanted to try to give religion another chance and I wanted to see what they were all about. Instead of just reading up on them again, I decided to take a "hands-on" approach if you will. I'm going to go to all the different Churches/Mosques/Temples etc of the major religions and listen to what they offer.

If anybody belongs to a certain religion that I haven't already touched on, do you think you can give me some information regarding your religious services? What is the routine, what happens when you go there?

This next section will just be updates on the different services I went to, what I thought about them and more importantly, what I got from them:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catholic Mass June 29, 2008

I particulary liked the sermon made by the priest that day. He spoke about relationships (between friends, family and just people) and how some people never forgive people over the smallest infractions. He spoke about how parents abandon their children after an argument (and vice versa).

I really took this to heart because my parents and I haven't really been getting along very well recently, so this particular sermon really reached out to me. I feel as if I've changed quite a lot as I've been helping my parents out as much as I can. Lately, it feels as if our relationship has grown stronger and we're getting along now.

In conclusion, I still can't say I believe in their god, but I have a new found respect for their faith and way of life.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jewish Synagogue Scheduled July 11th, 2008
Spanish Catholic Mass Scheduled July 13th, 2008

Edit: Yes, I just became aware about my spelling error Journey
Quote by shredmeiser101
maybe you could've learned to spell "journey" while you were taking said trip

Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey Journey

Editv2: I'm also thinking of trying a Satanic Church... I remember seeing a special on it on the History Channel one day and they roughly believe in hedonistic ways. I don't think they actually sacrifice people, or I hope not. What do you guys think? Should I go to one or play it safe?

Editv3: Lets not argue about which religion is best. Take all that stuff to the Religion thread. I'm just looking for religions I should try out and what they do at their service. Thanks.

Editv4: I was thinking of bringing cameras to take pics, but I thought it might be disrespectful to have a friend take a picture of me while I was getting blessed or something. Imo, it really does seem disrespectful and people will think i'm just there to screw around. so no "pics or it didn't happen" comments. Although, I think i can take a pic outside the places though... hmmm.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
Last edited by SathiaSun at Jul 2, 2008,
Sounds like an interesting thing to do. Just make sure that you'd be welcome to do this in the different churches / temples / whatevers.

Also, note some of the traditions adhered to in different religions, and dress / behave accordingly.

Quote by Rockford_rocks
*cough*Religion thread*cough*

Z-Edit: Wait.. where the hell did the religion thread go?

IT's no longer stickied.

Also, I don't think it should be there. This is more of a blog about somebody discovering different religions, as opposed to the endless arguing in there.
Quote by Rockford_rocks

I think that he is implying that you should post this in the religion thread
I'm about to do the same thing as you. I'm going to read the bible this summer (A smaller version) and read some books about buddhism. I'm not doing it to find myself a religion, but to get a wider view on life.

Good luck SathiaSun

Quote by Dirtydeeds468

BUT DUDE! THAT'S MY OPINION! JUST LIKE PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS THAT ALL BLACK PEOPLE ARE CRIMINALS! IT JUST CAN'T BE CHALLENGED BECAUSE IT'S YOUR OPINION!

WHEEEEEEEE.

Heja Sverige!
Quote by Rockford_rocks

I didn't think this fits there because this is more or a journal or diary rather than discussing which religion is right or wrong.

Although, I haven't looked into the religion thread in quite a while and I shouldn't really base my assumptions of it from those few days I browsed through it.

If you guys feel that this does belong in the religion thread, I'll close it. In the meantime, I'll browse through it myself to decide later.

Quote by saphrax
Sounds like an interesting thing to do. Just make sure that you'd be welcome to do this in the different churches / temples / whatevers.

Also, note some of the traditions adhered to in different religions, and dress / behave accordingly.

I asked a lot of my catholic friends on how I should dress, what the routine was etc before going with them. I was really concerned about the "respect" issue and I didn't want to seem disrespectful to the priests or anybody there.

that reminds me of how worried I got when it was time to go for Communion. I didn't feel comfortable taking the "body and blood" of Christ, so my friend told me to do that arm cross for a blessing. Whew.

Quote by RedOrange
I'm about to do the same thing as you. I'm going to read the bible this summer (A smaller version) and read some books about buddhism. I'm not doing it to find myself a religion, but to get a wider view on life.

Good luck SathiaSun

Yes, I must apprehend me a copy of the Bible. I've honestly never read it or even held one in my hands. I'm also hooping to get a wider view on life. Maybe after hearing each religions insight, I'd be able to know my friends and family better.
Quote by Lil Macker

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Last edited by SathiaSun at Jul 1, 2008,
Bro, if you're gonna check out Chrisitanity, make sure that you visit a Calvary Chapel. There's a lot of churches out there that pretty much suck, but from my experiences Calvary Chapels are always a safe bet.

Edit: try this. Your profile says you're in Long Beach, here's a Calvary Chapel: http://www3.calvarychapel.com/longbeach/
Last edited by tedhead480 at Jul 1, 2008,
Best of luck to your endeavor. It's not very common that people are THAT open to new things and I'm congratulating you for doing so. If ever in the end you find that you are still an atheist, it doesn't matter. You don't need a diety to worship or a ritual to follow to be a good person.

Good luck.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
This is a great idea. I can't wait to hear what you make of the other places and how you're accepted. I've thought about doing this before but never got around to it.
Pfff, you could've learnt that from the Brady Bunch.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
I didn't think this fits there because this is more or a journal or diary rather than discussing which religion is right or wrong.

You'd probably be best making a blog about it on your profile if its a journal type deal.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
i admire that, alot of people who claim to be atheists dont even bother examining other beliefs. but keep in mind catholicism (sp?) is very different from the rest of christianity. i am a follower of jesus and the God i worship doesnt like religion, hes interested in a personal relasionship with you. but thats just what i believe. i hope you find what your looking for.
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
Quote by tedhead480
Bro, if you're gonna check out Chrisitanity, make sure that you visit a Calvary Chapel. There's a lot of churches out there that pretty much suck, but from my experiences Calvary Chapels are always a safe bet.

Hey... that church is near the church I was helping rebuild...

I've also just realized that this weekend (when I went to church) i was also at a rebuilding a church project... interesting.

Quote by alkalineweeman
You'd probably be best making a blog about it on your profile if its a journal type deal.

Nobody would ever check out my blog and I wouldn't get any tips or information or your insights on this little project. And no, I would not have made a thread informing The Pit about a Blog I made about this.

Quote by heavyairship
i admire that, alot of people who claim to be atheists dont even bother examining other beliefs. but keep in mind catholicism (sp?) is very different from the rest of christianity. i am a follower of jesus and the God i worship doesnt like religion, hes interested in a personal relasionship with you. but thats just what i believe. i hope you find what your looking for.

What exactly is that religion called? It sounds really interesting and appeals to me.
Quote by Lil Macker

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Quote by SathiaSun
What exactly is this Calvary Chapel? (Proceeds to Google it)

Nobody would ever check out my blog and I wouldn't get any tips or information or your insights on this little project. And no, I would not have made a thread informing The Pit about a Blog I made about this.

Sorry... Check the edit of my first post, I sent you a link to one that (I think) is near you (No, I'm not a stalker, I just checked your profile... I promise)

They're pretty cool, pretty low key, you just show up, they have music at the beginning (we call it worship) then have a bit of Bible study, then a little more worship. Pretty good stuff.
Quote by tedhead480
Sorry... Check the edit of my first post, I sent you a link to one that (I think) is near you (No, I'm not a stalker, I just checked your profile... I promise)

They're pretty cool, pretty low key, you just show up, they have music at the beginning (we call it worship) then have a bit of Bible study, then a little more worship. Pretty good stuff.

Thank you. I think I'm going to check that out once I get the "Green Light" from them. I can't do it this sunday because I want to go to Spanish Mass with my girlfriend

Are there any routines that you guys do? I mean, more specifically (as in step by step of what you do there). I don't want to not know what to do because it would really interrupt everybody. Also, what do you guys call yourselves?
Quote by Lil Macker

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Quote by SathiaSun
Thank you. I think I'm going to check that out once I get the "Green Light" from them. I can't do it this sunday because I want to go to Spanish Mass with my girlfriend

Are there any routines that you guys do? I mean, more specifically (as in step by step of what you do there). I don't want to not know what to do because it would really interrupt everybody. Also, what do you guys call yourselves?

We Call ourselves Christians. What the other guy was talking about, about God having a relationship with us? That's us, that's Christianity. As for routines, I gave you the basic service order in the last post, I'm not entirely sure what they do at this specific one, as I go to a different one (There's a lot of Calvary Chapels out there). However, there will probably be someone at the door that asks for your name so they can give you a name tag, they will most definitely be welcoming to you, I would recommend getting there a tad bit early to grab a seat, and if you want to go to the high school class if you are in high school, then you can ask somebody where the youth group is, and they will tell you. Or you can go in the adult service, I would recommend that, I think the teaching will be better and will give you a better idea of what we're all about. so yeah, name tags, get there early, just go in and grab a seat, they'll probably do worship, and then have announcements, and then have a message, and then more worship.
Quote by SathiaSun

What exactly is that religion called? It sounds really interesting and appeals to me.

Christianity. Catholicism(I know I probably didn't spell it right.) differs alot from the Baptist and Protestant faiths. I'm a Baptist, and that's how I believe, God isn't interested in religion, He wants to know you in a personal way. I must say, I'm very impressed by your open-mindedness, you are the only atheist I've ever heard of that goes out and checks out all the religions he can. Kudos.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Quote by SathiaSun
Hey... that church is near the church I was helping rebuild...

I've also just realized that this weekend (when I went to church) i was also at a rebuilding a church project... interesting.

That religion is Christianity as it was intended to be, not as a lot of modern day churches are making it out to be (rules, regulations, dress codes, etc.). God is not telling us to just follow a set of rules and live a good life, He wants a personal relationship with each and every one of us to aid us and guide through our lives. He is always there for you and will forgive you no matter what you do.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
I highly suggest checking out a Christian and Missionary Alliance church. The one I go to every now and then is pretty cool. It's really casual, and everyone is super awesome. Like everyone else is saying, this church is also one that talks about building a relationship with God. Instead of going to him, He is trying to reach out to you. I like the ideas they present there.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Last edited by IMABBALLPLAYER at Jul 1, 2008,
Nice idea. I also consider myself Atheist, but I try not to be close minded about religion and respect people who take part in them.
Try going to a mosque or a synagog (sp?) while you're at it, just to get a wide view of what's out there. I'd be interested to see how those religions welcome an outsider and conduct their services.
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Nice idea. I also consider myself Atheist, but I try not to be close minded about religion and respect people who take part in them.
Try going to a mosque or a synagog (sp?) while you're at it, just to get a wide view of what's out there. I'd be interested to see how those religions welcome an outsider and conduct their services.

I am planning on doing that. Our drummer in our band is a jew and I'm going to go to temple with him. I know somebody through a mutual friend that is muslim and i plan on going to a mosque with her.

What I'm kinda worried about is whether or not I should go to a satanic church...
Quote by Lil Macker

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

I'm a Deist. It's pretty simple what we believe in. I like to sum it up in a metaphor: As in the referee of a relay race, God said, 'ready, set,' and then he fired the gun.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
How can you be an Atheist and have respect for religion... surely you mean Agnostic?
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
That sounds pretty cool dude. Just remember, don't let any of those other idiots that Catholics and other Christians are associated with get to you. A lot of morons will tell you you're damned to hell if you eat cheese on a Sunday while listening to rock music on MTV2. Yea don't let that crap fool you. Remember, only God can judge you, and anyone accusing you of "wrongdoings" is a hypocrite.

If anything, i would say that the catholic church is a good place to start, but you have to get really deep into the theology, because thats what really matters. After a while mass will just start to sound like a bunch of prayers some people memorized and recite over and over again. This the reason i really don't attend anymore. I think a relationship with god is on a much more personal basis, but does need leaders and community (priests, bishops, etc...)

I've also seen things on Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Wicca, Satanism, and Hindu. They're all logical religions. Satanism and wicca, i think, are definitely interesting. Its what you feel.
Quote by Stranglehold
How can you be an Atheist and have respect for religion... surely you mean Agnostic?

I respect people's rights to have differing views and different religious affiliations. As of now, I believe that there is no "god" or "supreme being", although maybe after this project, I might think otherwise. Who knows. I am an Atheist.

I've also seen things on Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Wicca, Satanism, and Hindu. They're all logical religions. Satanism and wicca, i think, are definitely interesting. Its what you feel.
My family is buddhist and I used to do a bunch of religious things when I was little. I can attend a service or something at a temple, although I don't know how often it happens. My parents only go for major events/holidays.
Quote by Lil Macker

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

maybe you could've learned to spell "journey" while you were taking said trip
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by SathiaSun

Editv2: I'm also thinking of trying a Satanic Church... I remember seeing a special on it on the History Channel one day and they roughly believe in hedonistic ways. I don't think they actually sacrifice people, or I hope not. What do you guys think? Should I go to one or play it safe?

If you go satanic, I will be forced to beat you with a bible, and end your life to send you to the hell you deserve. Joking, But dont go Satanic. Satanism is a spinoff of All of christian Religions and Sanctions, It is merely a Counter culture designed against christianity. Its a Publicity stunt also, And most of the people who join it dont know anything about what they're getting into.
In order to understand a religion, you must see all of the religion, not just some. With satanism, you must understand christianity. Christianity states that If you do not accept God as your creator (at the very least as a jew) or accept that Jesus Christ died for you about 1974 years ago. If you do not, you WILL goto HELL and be basically Ripped apart in the hottest flames imaginable. Im not telling you to become Christian, but I am telling you DO NOT GO SATANIC. I am actually ok with most of Budhism, and Other such teaching of similar nature. But, to my eyes, I hate Satanism, Scientology (So Freaking fake and stupid...God damn Tom Cruise) and Even Mormons(OH, im sorry, The Church Of Latter Day Saints...You pricks...), who are Technically Christians, but seems like such a lie to attract believers.
I myself, am Lutheran, a sanction of christianity, and I believe it is one of the easier and less pointless religions to follow. Simply Take the bible literally in most senses, like dont steal, Dont commit Adultery, Blah Blah Be a good person stuff. Does not say you cannot Fapp, or have sex as much as you want. Just, If your married, you gotta stick with that chick forever basically, so get alot in while you can. But then again, everyone knows you really shouldn't cheat on your wife... And even if you do sin, All you gotta do, is Say "God, Im sorry, Please Forgive me" and all is good, and youll still goto Heaven lol... Very, Very easy religion.
Some christian religions say "no meat on Friday" or some other bull crap. What does it matter? "Jesus Christ Died on Friday". yep he did, and if he didnt he'd of been eating meat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Maybe even Beef flavored IceCream for dessert. Point is....
Dont go Satanic, Try Lutheran.
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Jul 1, 2008,
Quote by Life Is Brutal
If you go satanic, I will be forced to beat you with a bible, and end your life to send you to the hell you deserve. Joking, But dont go Satanic. Satanism is a spinoff of All of christian Religions and Sanctions, It is merely a Counter culture designed against christianity. Its a Publicity stunt also, And most of the people who join it dont know anything about what they're getting into.
In order to understand a religion, you must see all of the religion, not just some. With satanism, you must understand christianity. Christianity states that If you do not accept God as your creator (at the very least as a jew) or accept that Jesus Christ died for you about 1974 years ago. If you do not, you WILL goto HELL and be basically Ripped apart in the hottest flames imaginable. Im not telling you to become Christian, but I am telling you DO NOT GO SATANIC. I am actually ok with most of Budhism, and Other such teaching of similar nature. But, to my eyes, I hate Satanism, Scientology (So Freaking fake and stupid...God damn Tom Cruise) and Even Mormons(OH, im sorry, The Church Of Latter Day Saints...You pricks...), who are Technically Christians, but seems like such a lie to attract believers.
I myself, am Lutheran, a sanction of christianity, and I believe it is one of the easier and less pointless religions to follow. Simply Take the bible literally in most senses, like dont steal, Dont commit Adultery, Blah Blah Be a good person stuff. Does not say you cannot Fapp, or have sex as much as you want. Just, If your married, you gotta stick with that chick forever basically, so get alot in while you can.
Some christian religions say "no meat on Friday" or some other bull crap. What does it matter? "Jesus Christ Died on Friday". yep he did, and if he didnt he'd of been eating meat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Maybe even Beef flavored IceCream for dessert. Point is....
Dont go Satanic, Try Lutheran.

Erm, you understand that, according to Christian doctrine, if he is "[Buddhist, or follows] Other such teaching of similar nature", then he will go to hell as well as if he is a Satanic (although Devil Worshiper is a better term for what you're talking about), right?

So why does it matter?
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Awesome dude, I think that's a really great idea. I hate how people automatically assume that because you're atheist that you hate all religion and those who practice it. I am atheist (I suppose, I don't really give it a whole lot of thought) but I hold a ton of respect for other religions and I think what you're doing is really cool.

I've always thought Buddhism was pretty cool, though I don't know if that's practiced really outside of Asia a whole lot (I'm not very knowledgeable on most religions).

But yes, I'll be checking on this periodically, you've aroused my curiousity.

EDIT: My friend is Lutheran and I've gone to his church a few times and I've found they're a little less hardcore about it all, you might want to try that out.
Quote by nalyd
Awesome dude, I think that's a really great idea. I hate how people automatically assume that because you're atheist that you hate all religion and those who practice it. I am atheist (I suppose, I don't really give it a whole lot of thought) but I hold a ton of respect for other religions and I think what you're doing is really cool.

I've always thought Buddhism was pretty cool, though I don't know if that's practiced really outside of Asia a whole lot (I'm not very knowledgeable on most religions).

But yes, I'll be checking on this periodically, you've aroused my curiousity.

EDIT: My friend is Lutheran and I've gone to his church a few times and I've found they're a little less hardcore about it all, you might want to try that out.

Hell yeah it is. Especially in bigger cities. For example, my uncle (a white American dude) lives in LA and he's a Buddhist.
Quote by shattamakar

Quote by SathiaSun
I am planning on doing that. Our drummer in our band is a jew and I'm going to go to temple with him. I know somebody through a mutual friend that is muslim and i plan on going to a mosque with her.

What I'm kinda worried about is whether or not I should go to a satanic church...

Haha just go to Hot Topic, you'll meet the same people.
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
Quote by walkinbazooka
Erm, you understand that, according to Christian doctrine, if he is "[Buddhist, or follows] Other such teaching of similar nature", then he will go to hell as well as if he is a Satanic (although Devil Worshiper is a better term for what you're talking about), right?

So why does it matter?

Actually, Buddhism has the same basic teachings of Christianity. Just basically be a good person. Now, theres no specific religion For this(but if there is, tell me) But I believe that all religions with good teachings are the same. Its all be a good person and youll goto heaven. Muslims and Christians have the same god, just Different names, and one is much more how to say... Literal and Extreme, no offense.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Actually, Buddhism has the same basic teachings of Christianity. Just basically be a good person. Now, theres no specific religion For this(but if there is, tell me) But I believe that all religions with good teachings are the same. Its all be a good person and youll goto heaven. Muslims and Christians have the same god, just Different names, and one is much more how to say... Literal and Extreme, no offense.

So since I'm a good person, I'm going to heaven, even though I don't believe in your god? 'Cause that doesn't sound like the same thing you said earlier...
I have recreated a Mattocaster with Kaoss Pad built into the body. If you would be interested in having this mod done to your guitar, let me know!
Quote by walkinbazooka
Hell yeah it is. Especially in bigger cities. For example, my uncle (a white American dude) lives in LA and he's a Buddhist.

Well I figure there are people that practice it, but I mean in terms of congregations. Does Buddhism have any kind of 'church' or any type of service? And if so, are they common outside of Asia?

hey wait wtf i'm learning in the pit
...Yes, but then free will is an illusion!

Going to experience them seems fine. Though many* non-religious people that are converted are converted through personal experience. It seems as though something like that can't be forced and experimenting seems like a method for forcing that revelation.

Sort of. I'm tired though, so I don't know if what I said is logically consistent.

*anecdotal evidence.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
Quote by Life Is Brutal

But the New Testament says that he who does not accept Christ as his savior goes to hell. He who believes is saved. There is no, 'be good, and go to heaven" in Christianity.

I'm just saying.
Quote by nalyd
Well I figure there are people that practice it, but I mean in terms of congregations. Does Buddhism have any kind of 'church' or any type of service? And if so, are they common outside of Asia?

hey wait wtf i'm learning in the pit

Mmm hmm. He goes to one of many temples in the city. They're not 'churches' per se, but gathering places of meditation and spiritualism (even worship in some theistic versions of Buddhism). Depending on where you live, you may have to travel some distance to attend the nearest temple.
Quote by shattamakar

Last edited by walkinbazooka at Jul 1, 2008,
Quote by walkinbazooka
There is no, 'be good, and go to heaven" in Christianity..

No but you do go to Limbo, with all the other righteous and good non believers (i.e. Siddhartha Gautama and Gandhi). Basically it paradise for eternity, just without God or all the crazy fundamental Christians

To the topic at hand

Esoteric Hitlerism

sarcasm
Page 1 of 2