Im trying to find a Bass tube amp. My solid state does the job, but Im looking for that different sound that ive heard coming from a tube. Most of the things I have searched are strictly guitar related tube amps. Im looking for good options that are reliable and durable and does not require a whole ton of matinence. Also ones that bring out a really smooth but defined tone. I play a fender Jaguar and ive been playing for about 7 years. I play in jazz combos and in big bands, also im in a couple rock/punk/jam/whatever type of bands. My price range is anything below $1000 (usd). Any suggestions/advice/information/personal expierience that you could offer would be great.
This statement is false.
The most recent issue of bass player magazine reviewed a substantial list of tube amps...that would be where I'd start...otherwise, I can provide no further help.
I played an Ampeg tube head that I thought sounded pretty nice.
Quote by goest
The most recent issue of bass player magazine reviewed a substantial list of tube amps...that would be where I'd start...otherwise, I can provide no further help.

If you want under $1000 your best bet is to go used, and your choices are a little more limited

fender bassman 300 pro (used)
eden E300T (lucky find used)
Peavey tour vb (899 new)
Traynor YBA200 (800 new--cough* I own and love this* cough)
Maybe you could find an ampeg svt-cl for 1000 used.. maybe.
I have seen ampeg svt2-pros go for a fair bit under 1k used on ebay though.

You might also look at older Sunn, fender bassman, and traynor YBA1 amps, though these are usually lower wattage as well.

You can also just buy a tube power amp and a nice bass preamp and build an awesome rack out of those bad boys (though most tube power amps are only 100 or 120w)

Now go forth and research!
Thank you, you have renewed my faith in online shopping!
This statement is false.
Quote by Scourge441
Thunderfunk bass amps have a switch that changes between tube and solid state.

I have a feeling that's only for the pre-amp section.

If you want an all tube, then the Traynor YBA 200-2 new would be your best bet. I have heard that there isn't much clean headroom to work with, so if you're going to be playing loudly, you'll probably want to mic it.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Ampeg v4bh. It has recently been discontinued but they are on ebay occasionally. Its my favorite tube amp under $1000 and what I use in my current set up.
Quote by esposito123
Ampeg v4bh. It has recently been discontinued but they are on ebay occasionally. Its my favorite tube amp under $1000 and what I use in my current set up.

+1

It may only be 100 watts, but it's perfect if you want to get that "dirty" tone at lower volume levels. I'm pretty sure they discontinued them before they outsourced production to Vietnam, so any one you get should be USA-made. If you really need more volume, just mic it. It gets two thumbs up from me.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I've seen Ampeg SVT2PRO's go used for $1300-$1500, and the Eden E300T is like a brand new head, so don't expect to find any used ones.

But I find your search for a 'reliable' tube amp interesting. Tube amps, especially bass amps with typically triple the watts of a guitar tube amp, require a whole bloody lot of maintainence, and there's absolutely no exception to that rule. The new MarkBass head has some meters and indicators telling you when you need to make tube replacements, but keep in mind that you'll need to pay ~$300 for new tubes every year or so. There's no such thing as a 'reliable' tube amp.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I've seen Ampeg SVT2PRO's go used for $1300-$1500, and the Eden E300T is like a brand new head, so don't expect to find any used ones.

But I find your search for a 'reliable' tube amp interesting. Tube amps, especially bass amps with typically triple the watts of a guitar tube amp, require a whole bloody lot of maintainence, and there's absolutely no exception to that rule. The new MarkBass head has some meters and indicators telling you when you need to make tube replacements, but keep in mind that you'll need to pay ~$300 for new tubes every year or so. There's no such thing as a 'reliable' tube amp.

A year? That seems REALLY often. But still, it will be a fair amount when you do have to replace them. Plus most tube heads are really heavy. Get an SVT with the Ampeg fridge and you've got a rig weighing close to 250lbs.
Well, let's say a year of gigging. Mesa's tube run cold so they last several years, however, do you know how they do that? They double the amount of tubes. So when the tubes go, ka-ching.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by IndianRockStar
A year? That seems REALLY often. But still, it will be a fair amount when you do have to replace them. Plus most tube heads are really heavy. Get an SVT with the Ampeg fridge and you've got a rig weighing close to 250lbs.

That's what I'm playing through, and I love it. The weight doesn't even put me off, the sound is exactly what I'm looking for. If you can, TS, give it a try.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
That's what I'm playing through, and I love it. The weight doesn't even put me off, the sound is exactly what I'm looking for. If you can, TS, give it a try.

You must be a body builder

...my traynor head weighs 40lbs, I'm thinking of getting two 1*12 avatar neo cabs, for the most portable tube rig ever, though I am hesitant to do play with just 12s.

on the replacement issue--it is pricey, but I'm a cheap SOB, and would spend more like 200 on a replacement set (pre and power) than 300, granted that's still pretty high maintenance.

If I was gigging twice a week I could see changing the tubes after a year, but I think if you don't gig that much (which I sure don't ) and practice on a solid state--which I do, you can easily get several years out of them... especially when you play with people who understand that louder =/= better.