To help out others when they're in dropped-D tuning (we all know what it's like to tune back forth, it's annoying) and for people trying out dropped-D I had an idea that we made a list of all songs that are in dropped-D tuning, I'll manage the list and maybe this could even get stickied. If this is sucessful, I'll make another list with other popular tunings (1/2 step down, E flat maybe). When this list grows large I may ask for help and sort by genre. I'll need the song and artist and maybe genre (general, like rock, metal).

Also not sure if this belongs in Guitar & Bass Basics, it can be moved. I'm pretty sure this is something the "ONLY Tuning Thread" doesn't cover because this is specifically dropped-D and for songs tuned in dropped-D only, no questions about dropped-D.

BTW - Yay, 100th post, sorry back to business

I'll start:

I think all Avenged Sevenfold are but here are the ones I know:

Beast and the Harlot - Avenged Sevenfold
Afterlife - Avenged Sevenfold
Unholy Confessions - Avenged Sevenfold
Bat Country - Avenged Sevenfold
Almost Easy - Avenged Sevenfold
Chapter Four -Avenged Sevenfold
Critical Acclaim - Avenged Sevenfold

Beat It (Cover) - Fall Out Boy (ft. John Mayer)
Killing in the Name Of - Rage Against the Machine
Renegades of Funk - Rage Against the Machine
Rage Against the Machine - Testify
A New Level - Pantera
Moby Dick - Led Zeppelin
Pearl Jam - Even Flow
Slither - Velvet Revolver
She Builds Quick Machines - Velvet Revolver
Hyper Music - Assassin
Jimmy Eat World - Sweetness
Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
"Golden Age of Grotesque" album - Marylin Manson
Vampires- Godsmack
Time Machine- Joe Satriani
Muse - Butterflies and Hurricanes
Muse - The Small Print
Muse - Dead Star
Muse - Stockholm Syndrome
Muse - Yes Please
Trivium - Rain
Trivium - Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr
Trivium - Drowned And Torn Asunder
Trivium - Ascendancy
Trivium - A Gunshot To The Head In Trepidation
Trivium - Like Light To The Flies
Trivium - Dying In Your Arms
Trivium - Suffocating Sight
Grinspoon - Just Ace

I know there are thousands more, please post/reply ones that you know for CERTAIN.
Last edited by mzhang13 at Jul 2, 2008,
she builds quick machines-velvet revolver
the entire "golden age of grotesque" album -Marylin Manson
vampires-Godsmack
Time Machine- Joe Satriani
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
You can play ANY song that's in standard tuning if you're in drop D, with minor adjustments at worse so it's not exactly much of an issue.

A thread like this is kind of counter-productive IMO - it just encourages people ot be ignorant rather than forcing them to make the effort to learn things properly. Any guitarist that doesn't understand how you can play any standard-tuned in Drop D shouldn't really be using alternative tunings.

I appreciate the effort you've put in, I just think there's a bigger picture that you're missing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You can play ANY song that's in standard tuning if you're in drop D, with minor adjustments at worse so it's not exactly much of an issue.

A thread like this is kind of counter-productive IMO - it just encourages people ot be ignorant rather than forcing them to make the effort to learn things properly. Any guitarist that doesn't understand how you can play any standard-tuned in Drop D shouldn't really be using alternative tunings.

I appreciate the effort you've put in, I just think there's a bigger picture that you're missing.

I do understand that you can play any song in standard tuning in dropped-D (you can make everything whole step up on low E). That's not the point. The point of this thread is to provide a resource to anyone who's in dropped-D or wants learn songs in dropped-D when they're planning to or already in dropped-D.

Dropped-D as you probably know, opens up new possibilities.Some songs in dropped-D can only be played in dropped-D because the e string is lower. This is for those songs. Most of these songs can't be played in standard tuning.

I'm not trying to start any fights, but that was my original plan for this thread.
Quote by steven seagull

thank you, before i was ignorant to guitar playing but now im saved you showed me the light!
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
Quote by steven seagull

some chords can be extremely difficult if not impossible to play in drop-d, a normally voiced open G chord for instance, you can do it but you would have to use a different chord voicing, guitarists should understand how to do it, but oftentimes it's a major pain in the ass and/or it won't sound right.

that being said, there are so many songs in Drop-D that listing them all would take forever.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Trivium-Rain
Trivium-Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr
Trivium-Drowned And Torn Asunder
Trivium-Ascendancy
Trivium-A Gunshot To The Head In Trepidation
Trivium-Like Light To The Flies
Trivium-Dying In Your Arms
Trivium-Suffocating Sight
Grinspoon-Just Ace
aerials-system of a down(also can be drop C)
no more tears-ozzy osbourne
hypnotize-system of a down
heart shaped box-nirvana
unholy confessions- avenged sevenfold
BYOB- system of a down.
Strange, I have a very poor ear for pitch, but yet switching from E Standard to Drop D and back only takes me a few seconds at max.
Ain't nothin wrong, ain't nothin right, and still I sit and lie awake all night...
Lamb of God- Laid to Rest
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

Really, if people wanted to learn a song in Drop D, they would just look it up or transcribe it. It's not that hard. And this list will NEVER be complete. There are just far too many songs. The concept is good, but just impossible to do.
slave to the grind-skid row
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by yearzero
Pretty much any Tool song ever made

Not Prison Sex or Parabol(a)
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Quite a few of those are not in drop D, namely Walk, Even Flow, and the Michael Jackson version of Beat It.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by mattrsg1

vampires-Godsmack

Actually that might be around drop-c, but of course you can still play a reasonable-sounding version of it in drop-d. If you're looking for Godsmack, their first album and I believe most, if not all of IV is in drop-d.

Also...
Nirvana: Negative Creep
Why am I doing this? It's easy enough to tune the sixth string back and forth, as long as your A string is in tune (and hopefully the other four). D = 7th fret, E = 5th fret. It's late, I'm bored, and I'm taking my frustrations out on this thread.
every lamb of god song ever
Send this to you my master...
Here's to getting worse,
hope it kills you faster...
Show me how it hurts to rot from the inside out...
This vigil burns until the day our fires over take you,
Our father we forsake you.
Fallen Leaves - Billy Talent is fun to play. Also think there is already a thred like this called "Drop D Classics" - Search it and see what you get.

Rock on
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Ok, I give up on this thread, after some thought, this list is impossible and many songs can be played in various tuning...

Also, it might not be hard to go back and forth tuning, but most people with Floyd Roses (like me) probably lock the tuners with makes it annoying to tune back and forth (at least for me). If you don't lock tuners, then usually, the strings tend to go out of tune quickly (and during shows this is crucial to prevent).
Last edited by mzhang13 at Jul 2, 2008,
im getting sick of drop D i recently joind a band who plays in it and to tell your the truth its getting boring,WHY DOSE EVERY THING HAVE TO BE IN THE KEY OF D-AMN IT!
seriously i want to write stuff in other keys
and i want to do other stuff not just in Minor all the time
gah stuff like this will get you bumed out unless you really like it or what ever

any tips on how to go around this when a band says "oh that sounds good" and its just like the other song but phrased diffrently? thats a no,no in my book
Quote by Phrygian_12
any tips on how to go around this when a band says "oh that sounds good" and its just like the other song but phrased diffrently? thats a no,no in my book

I take it it's a metal band, aye?
Start/join a new band that's different, expand your horizons etc.?

Edit: Also, it's a good idea if you have a floyd double locking bridge, such a pain in the arse to retune.
However, just make a list of a few songs you WANT to learn, as opposed to trawling through a list of every drop D song ever, no?
Quote by mzhang13
If you don't lock tuners, then usually, the strings tend to go out of tune quickly (and during shows this is crucial to prevent).

really? that dosnt happend to me when i play

we go back and forth and dont have that problem

when you get new strings do you stretch them when you put them on?
that helps keep them in tune

i Pull and stretch each string at a time tune it and then repeat it,till the it starts to get less out of tune, that way by the time you play a gig they may go out of tune but not so bad where its making every one go " OMG THATS HORRIABLE!"

as for Floyd......god i hate those...i use to play with them so much but after a while i got sick of setting every thing up for an hour i just want Plug in and Go gear

i dunno i like to mess with it still but im not a drive bomb guy i like to use them melodicly and not all Vai like or Dime Bag

more like Jason Beckers Ending to Go Off kinda of Use of a whammy i like that stuff
Quote by bnichguitar
aerials-system of a down(also can be drop C)
no more tears-ozzy osbourne
hypnotize-system of a down
heart shaped box-nirvana
unholy confessions- avenged sevenfold
BYOB- system of a down.

Drop C doesnt sound like drop D at all.
No more tears is Drop C#
hypnotize is also Drop C#
Heart shaped box is also Drop C#
BYOB is also Drop C#
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
postal service-such great heights... It's a synth bass but for some reason it sounds right on drop d if it isn't synth
My Music:
Solo project: myspace.com/dermy3blkaht
Full band (iRockit): myspace.com/nj136