Anyone got any tips, scales, progressions, tone, special effects, instruments etc that are used in psychedelic music ?

All I can think of so far is sus chords, chromatic scales, and reverb on tone.
chromatic chord progressions,slide guitar with delay,and harmonic and melodic minor.i´d say.
This is an easy thing to do if you have a multi effects processor. Add either Rotary, Tremolo, or Flanger. All 3 of them can sound pretty trippy, especially with a little bit of wah.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
get high and just listen to what sounds trippy. Last night i was baked out of my mind and running water from the sink was the most beautiful thing i ever heard.
Quote by kingofdudes161
Add either Rotary, Tremolo, or Flanger. All 3 of them can sound pretty trippy, especially with a little bit of wah.

I'd definetly agree about the flanger

Quote by 36mikeyb36
get high and just listen to what sounds trippy. Last night i was baked out of my mind and running water from the sink was the most beautiful thing i ever heard.

Yeah I do this too. It helps increase my creativity by feeding me these new ideas, I always listen to the doors or pink floyd to further the effect
effects: wah, fuzz and phase shifting.

You can use pretty much whatever scales you want the Major scale works well for more upbeat stuff, and the harmonic minor is good if you want a more creepy vibe, I also suggest the use of a lot of chromatic notes, and also using drone notes under a melody works really well with psychedelic stuff.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
The mixolydian mode with the right phrasing, rhythm, note choice and accompaniment is typical for psychedelic sounding melodies and solos IMMHOHO.

Also, listen to Ozric Tentacles, they do some awesome modern day psychedelia!
Quote by Derk4397
What are drone notes?

Hit a note and let it ring. Preferably in key. Example: In dropped D, hit the low D, then proceed to play notes in the key of D, hitting the low D to keep it going while playing over it. In my profile, 2 of my songs are based off of this if you want to listen... Falling From. . . and Chaotic Ambience.
drugs help you hear the noise in your head.
have wierd timings that dont make sense coupled with watever both doesn't and does work with it.

I'm not really explaining what i'm trying to say well, am i?
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
Quote by Toms' anominous
drugs help you hear the noise in your head.
have wierd timings that dont make sense coupled with watever both doesn't and does work with it.

I'm not really explaining what i'm trying to say well, am i?

I get you lol
Just because drugs can let you hear something in your head, how is that going to come out in your music? You are going to need a lot of experience, a decent knowledge of music theory, and proper ear training if you want to be able to get it from your head to your hands.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Definitely drone notes, I often use huge diads, two note chords using several strings. As for melody harmonic minor is always nice, phyrigian mode as well. Effects I like a lot of reverb and delay, reverse reverb as well, make it really echo.
I wouldn't suggest Phrygian, it's a very dark mode and rarely sounds good in a rock context. I also wouldn't suggest Hamonic Minor, it's generally only used within classical and neo-classical situations. I'd stay stick with your major scale, possibly using Lydian (major scale with #4). It can give you a very nice sound, espescially when used along with a Joe Satriani type pedal note. This being where you only play one string and pull off to the open string (usually the root) after every 2 or 3 notes.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Flanger + Ebow + Wah + Delay at the same time makes an amazing drone.
You dont need any of what theyre saying.

Get some shrooms, and hang out with your good friend... guitar.
myspace.com/soundsofmeta
Iron Dude, the phrygian might not be the easiest to use, but when properly applied you can get stuff like Bear McCreary's version of All Along he Watchtower, which is simultaneously dark and trippy as ****.
Last edited by MiG_853 at Jul 2, 2008,
Listen to the breakdown in joe satriani's "rasberry jam delta V" its seriously trippy. get some ideas from that
Quote by griffRG7321
Listen to the breakdown in joe satriani's "rasberry jam delta V" its seriously trippy. get some ideas from that

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I said Satch style pedal notes.

And I'm know there are a lot of trippy songs which use Phrygian, such as White Rabbit by Jefferson Starship. I just think that it's a lot more difficult to use to it's full potential in a rock setting.

Edit: Jefferson Airplane, not Starship

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jul 2, 2008,
I was under the impression White Rabbit was by Jefferson Airplane.
Edit: Never mind, starship is a later name.
As said before, delay + tremolo + phaser + flanger + wah helps make it sound weird. If possible, use two amps placed far apart and use the ping-pong type delay to bounce between them.

Also, use a lot of borrowed chords and maybe the whole tone scale. Those things make a song sound very strange if you use them correctly.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by MiG_853
I was under the impression White Rabbit was by Jefferson Airplane.
Edit: Never mind, starship is a later name.

No, I just looked it up. You are right, it was Jefferson Airplane. I could never keep those straight.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Use sound effects and non-instrumental objects in an instrumental manner, every band that I've ever heard that's trippy seems to do this... eg. I once knew a guy that would make "drum beats" and stuff by dropping hand fulls of change on different objects and recording it all then make beats/rythyms out of all the sound samples he recorded, definately some really trippy and unique sounding music if you can do it well.

Backwards guitar's always trippy if you can manage a really strong melody in it.
Quote by nwj
non-instrumental objects in an instrumental manner, every band that I've ever heard that's trippy seems to do this... eg. I once knew a guy that would make "drum beats" and stuff by dropping hand fulls of change on different objects and recording it all then make beats/rythyms out of all the sound samples he recorded.

Isn't that what pink floyd did ?

Quote by nwj

Backwards guitar's always trippy if you can manage a really strong melody in it.

sorry but what does that mean

And thanks for all the great replies
I'm not sure if Pink Floyd did that specific example, I'm not too familiar... But yeh, I was gonna mention them as a band that's pretty known for that kind of stuff...

As for the backwards guitar... I mean like using a delay pedal that can play notes back in reverse... I love that sound if it's done well... The only example I can think of off the top of my head would be Give It Away by RHCP, there's a buncha little parts where John Frusciante does this (around 1:45 - 2:00 for example)
Quote by _paradox_
Isn't that what pink floyd did ?

One of the studio engineers on Dark Side recorded the sounds at the beginning of Money like that. He didn't make it especially for the album but just suggested they edit it into 7/8 and use it.
Isn't Money in 7/4?

Edit: it's 7/8, I was wrong.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jul 2, 2008,
Actually, nevermind my last post. I just relistened to it. I'm pretty sure it's in 7/8. And to JakdOnCrack, knowing your different rhythms and time signatures is extremely important. But sadly, most guitarist neglect them for what they think is more important, such as playing fast and detuning their guitar into the bass range.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Delay pedal, preferably with a reverse function, slide (not blues slide playing, sliding from note to note IN KEY though sounds ****in trippy), Wah (with delay and slide).

You need to make what initially sounds like a cacophony of sound but transforms into something beautiful upon further listening.
i usually place tremolo or rotary effect on 7th major chords, Amaj7 to Dmaj7 for 2 bars each, on my purevolume there are 7th maj on Waking Luallaby and Time - PF, guitar is only one part of it remember, soaring vocals give it spirit, in my mind Im Not an Addict by Janes Addiction has the most spychadelic vocals ive heard since Cashmir...
Last edited by -=Led_Hed=- at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by Iron_Dude
Isn't Money in 7/4?

Edit: it's 7/8, I was wrong.

You were right the first time, it is 7/4
Quote by Eirien
You were right the first time, it is 7/4

Doesn't 7/8 imply compound time, while 7/4 does not?

Based on the pulses of the main line in that song, it goes 1 2 3 1 2 1 2, repeat, which would imply a compound time signature.

If I'm not mistaken, 7/4 would just be 1 2 3 4 5 6 7, repeat.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by Iron_Dude
Actually, nevermind my last post. I just relistened to it. I'm pretty sure it's in 7/8. And to JakdOnCrack, knowing your different rhythms and time signatures is extremely important. But sadly, most guitarist neglect them for what they think is more important, such as playing fast and detuning their guitar into the bass range.

I know my theory. I'm fully aware of rhythms and time signatures. All I was saying is that unless it's on sheet music, 7/4 and 7/8 are really the same thing. It just depends on how you count it off in your head.
Quote by Iron_Dude

Whats wrong with down tuning???

And just read what alot of people post dude. There giving great tips. Also Slide to the notes. Gives it a melting kinda sound.
"Also, listen to Ozric Tentacles, they do some awesome modern day psychedelia!"
^+1

sound effects work well .
example normal tune:
track 1 : drums
track 2:bass
track 3: guitar
track 4: vocals

one type of trippy tune
track 1:dogs barking
track 2: dripping tap
track 3: guitar
track :4 voice (could be very harmonic harmonised )