Page 1 of 4
The subways (recent rock/punk band) have a female bassist, who seems pretty good, otherwise i can't think of any.

I think it might even have something to do with the saying "bassists get all the girls", which is obviously not much of an incentive for a female bassist.
trust me, there is actually quite a few. carol kaye, gail anne dorsey, tina weymouth, suzi q, nicole lea etc. mostly in metal, grunge and punk though. but in answer to the size question, most use smaller bodied bases, like musicman bongos, or ibanez sdgr's or even short scaled basses, like fender mustangs (no offense to skippy moogoose, of course)
There was an add in either guitar center's or musiciansfriend's monthly sales propaganda, and it had a feature of some woman they dubbed LA's groove goddess.

Either way, it is interesting to note that most of the instruments in rock are male-dominated.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
How could you forget the Smashing Pumpkins?

But if you think of a band that has one woman in it, she's usually the bassist or singer.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
cassandra in wayne's world played bass...other than that I don't know any off the top of my head
We have several esteemed members of the forum who are both female and play bass. I've known a few low-down ladies in the real world too...and if you search there are plenty of threads where we've dug out pics of our favourite female bass players.
willie nelsons sister is the bassist in his band
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
The bassist for Emigrate is a chick
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by higgins666
this thread might seem abit sexist & what not so sorry in advance.
but, are there alot of female bassists? because quite honestly ive never ever met one, i think this might be due to basses being big in general and most women/girls being small....

Ok, I'm sorry..I shouldn't laugh. Higgins? My name is Tammie and I play bass. Now you can say you've met a female bass player.

I'm 5'4" in my bare feet. But like Suzi Quattro and Tina Weymouth, my favorite basses are those big hunking thick necked monster Precision basses. I glare at sales people who hand me short scale basses, btw.

And yes, this thread has been done before. Several times in fact.

and another excuse to post my favourite picture of Suzi and her Pbass..

Yeah there are a lot of female bassists... They play it because they think its easy... I'm sure there are exceptions but the majority i've met said they played it cause they thought it was easy.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by AmpleSteak
Yeah there are a lot of female bassists... They play it because they think its easy... I'm sure there are exceptions but the majority i've met said they played it cause they thought it was easy.

And I've met as many guys who think the same. Ignorance of the bass and its relative difficulty is not exclusive to one sex or the other, my friend.
Charlotte from The Subways plays bass.
She's a fox!

Something about girls with basses.
Just really makes me want to hump.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
i don't need no stinking short scale bass

That is one big misconception about female players.

I love Emma Anzai. She has better stage presence then any guy ive ever seen play bass and her tone is killer.

I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I don't think I've actually met a female bassist I respect. (Note that I'm a female bass player) Like someone mentioned before, they all play bass because they think it's easy, not because of a genuine love of the instrument. They all play in a school band, but they sound so bad that it makes me wonder how they made it in the first place. This isn't everyone, obviously, but it seems to be everyone I've ever met.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
^
:psst: I think they meant real bands.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.

That's a sigger right there.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by guylee
we can't forget Jeanne Sagan of All That Remains

I saw them when they were touring with Protest, I spent half the set figuring out it if it was a man or a woman.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Tal Wilkenfeld, one of the best bassists in general, and quite obviously the best female bassist. I challenge anyone to find someone better than her.
Not judging from famous people, but judging from people I've met and heard play, most female musicians I've met play bass and they are mostly better than the male ones I know.

What would be the sexiest instrument for a girl to play? I think bass.
Quote by Canadian_basser
I don't think I've actually met a female bassist I respect. (Note that I'm a female bass player) Like someone mentioned before, they all play bass because they think it's easy, not because of a genuine love of the instrument. They all play in a school band, but they sound so bad that it makes me wonder how they made it in the first place. This isn't everyone, obviously, but it seems to be everyone I've ever met.

You need to meet more female bassists, seriously.

The problem with bad female bassists is that every one judges the entire group of us by the merits of the worst. The best of female players are also guilty of this assumption as well. I'm not being high and mighty here, I've done this in the past--my band mates and I used to call the type you refer to as Barbie rock stars. But at some point, you need to support those who are really making an effort of breaking the mold and start seeking them out, because they exist in some significant numbers.

Our numbers are smaller, so its far more noticeable when there are less than ideal players. I would bet that from a statistical standpoint, the percentages of bad bass players to the overall bass population is about the same for male and female. Also, like Fitz once said, if you go to Toronto convinced there are huge populations of midgets, you'll see more midgets than the average person.

I've met more and more girls and women taking up bass and taking it seriously and being fantastic players to boot. And that makes me happy--I just hope to live to see the day that the word bassist isn't always preceded by "female" when people see a woman playing bass.

I think Tal Wilkenfeld will achieve that in her lifetime. She just blows me away--I watch her in the Crossroads video and I just envy her talent and skill.

And Kranoscorp? Your band called. They wanted to know if one of the female members of the forum wanted to join the band. They're looking for a bassist.

Sorry couldn't resist...
Quote by KKING911
^
:psst: I think they meant real bands.

Is bass even a real instrument?
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Page 1 of 4