Is the distortion on the head heavy enough for metal/death metal, or would I probably need a distortion pedal?
The Valveking stack looks like it kicks ass, but I'm worried that I won't be able to just plug in and melt faces.
So can anyone help me out?
Guitar:Gibson SG with EMG 81& 85
Amp:Peavey 5150 II with 5150 cab
With an EMG81... yeah

I had one for about a week, it was pretty nice.

At most, you might want an OD for a little extra bite, but I think it's fine by its self.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Thanks man.
That's what I needed to know.
I see you have a classic 30 in your sig, i want one >.<.
Ive heard that valveking doesnt have as ood of tone as the classic series but that they handle modern stuff much nicer such as metal so you should be fine.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Heaviest your gonna get before it muds up is lamb of god and thats with emg's, eq pedal, od pedal and noise gate.

Also it handles Thrash bands really well, but alot of the more modern metal stuff it cant handle example would be anything played on a 5150, 6505, Engl, VHT, Bogner, Framus, Diezel or so on....
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 1, 2008,
Honestly, I think hardcore stuff sounds better after you roll the gain back a bit.

If you listen to Norma Jean [Redeemer], they recorded that album with mainly vintage amps... Marshall and Vox, etc... Definitely not what people think of as 'metal' amps.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Heaviest your gonna get before it muds up is lamb of god and thats with emg's, eq pedal, od pedal and noise gate.

I disagree, but I won't start a war.

Best choice is always going to be play it yourself and find a sound you like before you buy it.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
Honestly, I think hardcore stuff sounds better after you roll the gain back a bit.

If you listen to Norma Jean [Redeemer], they recorded that album with mainly vintage amps... Marshall and Vox, etc... Definitely not what people think of as 'metal' amps.
Absolutely. A good clean, loud, raw crunch sounds way heavier than an over use of gain. My gain dial is on 5 and my palm mutes give you a stomach ache if you're standing in front of my cabinets.
Play with a more aggressive pick attack and really dig into the strings.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by IbanezPsycho

Also it handles Thrash bands really well, but alot of the more modern metal stuff it cant handle example would be anything played on a 5150, 6505, Engl, VHT, Bogner, Framus, Diezel or so on....

The 5150 is another amp I'm considering.
I just want an amp with heavy gain already on it, lest I run through a bunch of pedals and weaken my signal.
Quote by xxmattibexx
The 5150 is another amp I'm considering.
I just want an amp with heavy gain already on it, lest I run through a bunch of pedals and weaken my signal.

If you want metal the 5150 is the way to go and used you can pick one up for about the same cost of a new VK.