The only problem is which one, lol. This is where you guys come in. I've stashed up some $ and as far as .net reviews go, I've arrived at a standstill.

I originally thought about buying a Marshall AVT150x, but thanks to you guys and this forum, and me getting to play with one about 2 weeks ago, I've changed my mind.

So... tube amps. The only thing that I decided upon was the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I've read all sort of reviews, from good to bad (predominately good), listened to a lot of samples on different guitars, looked alot at the specs and parts reviews, and I decided I'm gonna test this next week, when I get the chance.

Now, I want your expert opinions on this one. How does the amp behave? How good are the tubes? How long will it last me ?(yes, I play in a band, and will do so intensely in the next 3-4 years :> ). Anything you find relevant. Also, if you please, compare it to some other tube amps in the same (strict) price range. And I'd also like to know what's the difference between the Hot Rod Deluxe and the Reissue Blues Deluxe?

I currently play on my backup Ibanez SA120. Don't ask what happened to my main guitar. Since I'm going to buy an amp, I won't get to buy me another Strat, but I'm thinking of fitting a pair of Duncans on the Ibanez. Actually, I will do that.

I play mostly RHCP, Frusciante is the main talent for my playing taste. Foo Fighters, Gary Moore, Dire Straits, Deep Purple, Santana (a bit)... the list goes on, but these describe me the best. I'm also into reggae .

Thanks for reading all of that and sorry if I made any spelling errors. English isn't my native language!
Last edited by Dev23 at Jul 1, 2008,
The tubes are decent. The power tubes are Groove Tubes, which I believe they make their own, and they're pretty good quality. The preamp tubes are probably just rebranded sovteks, but luckily, preamp tubes aren't expensive.
It's a real nice amp.

But, if you wanted to go more for a marshally sounding amp, i'd go for a Peavey Classic.

And, you have better grammar and spelling than alot of the 08'ers here, so don't worry.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I own the hot rod.. and gig with it once a week.. the hot rod has the 'more drive' feature that i believe the other blues deluxe doesnt have. It serves me well with a tube screamer and compression sustainer. then it really sings.. btw i play thru 2 dif strats (mia and mim) both with SD 59's in the bridge so its a pretty all around type set up for the music you and I both play.
i'd probably look into a different amp- in my opinion, the hot rod is only really much good if you're after fender-style cleans- and a lot of those artists you mentioned don't even use fender-style cleans all the time. Plus for overdrive, other amps would be better.

I'd look into the peavey classic series and traynor ycv series. EDIT: your english is great- which country are you in, though? I was assuming you were in the USA when i suggested the peavey and traynor... assuming you're not, there might be better-value options.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Go for the Classic 30. Has good cleans and a good OD and with a Tube Screamer or another OD pedal it screams. I have tried the HR deluxe and it has good cleans but no OD and for other songs that require that Deep Purple, Dire Straits, Santana, and some RHCP.

Just my 2 cents
Quote by Demonikk
+1 on everything phip said

Main Gear
PRS SE Custom
Jay Turser Strat
Classic 30
Effects
Beheringer Distortion pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby
DigiTech Bad Monkey
I'm all the way in Eastern Europe, Romania.
The only choices I got are Marshall, Fender, Vox and Peavey.

I assume this is the Peavey Classic you're talking about.

Edit: Like I said, I tend to lean to the RHCP side. And I forgot to mention Coldplay... :P
Last edited by Dev23 at Jul 1, 2008,
^ yeah, that's the one. I'd probably try the peavey classic 30, vox ac30 (if you can stretch to it), and fender blues deluxe (again if you can stretch your budget to it). Basically buy whichever does the tones you need best...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well it's been a month and I must say I have done a bit of progress...
I now want to hear your opinions about this. I've come to 2 choices. Which one do you guys think will get me closer to the RHCPish sound I'd like?

1. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - modded with a FANE AXA-12 speaker, 2x 6L6GC SED Winged "C" power tubes and 12AX7 tungsol in the preamp

2. Peavey ValveKing 212 - modded with 2x FANE AXA-12 speakers, 4x 6L6GC SED Winged "C" pt and same 12AX7 tungsols'

The FANE speakers were recommended by a friend's friend etc, which has about 20 yeaars of musical exp. Says they blow the Celestion V30 away. I want to know your opinions on this, since they are ~200 euro a piece... about twice as much as a V30s here where I live...

I've also found a shop that sells Bulldog PUs. Now, I haven't heard about them until now, but what struck me is that a pair of their HBs are a lot more (215 euro) than the Duncans I was plannig to get. If any of you have any experience with them could you please tell me how they would go with my Ibanez SA120, either one of the mentioned cabs and my playing style...

Thanks a lot again for your support. I'm really hoping I'll make a good buy this summer.
Wait, are the VK and HRD already modded?

It's not worth it just to buy an amp just to mod it.
Plus, I wouldn't suggest either of those for RHCP. I say go for the peavey classic series, or a Traynor YCV.
Or, if you're in Europe, a Laney VC30 may be a better choice.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
No they're not modded. And I keep hearing what you said
"It's not worth it just to buy an amp just to mod it."

But it's just so damn tempting. They peavey vk would be the less expensive choice, being 285 euros less than the fender, and thus would be less expensive to mod.

Also wanted to ask you guys what are the pros and cons with 1 speaker and 2 speaker amps..
A Marshall DSL-401 is around the same price, you should have a look at them. I can get some great chili tones from mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiz12aDaXQU Not me, but great example of the chili tones it can achieve.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
i haven't tried bulldog pickups, but they're meant to be really, really good. i think they're run by a guy who used to work at bareknuckle.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeh I heard about using some 5751 in the preamp... and I can get my hands on some 5751 JAN NOS... I will try them out.. thanks..

And I don't think I can find Laney amps in country... are they in the same price range anyway ?

Any more info anyone?
it really depends on the country you're in- in the UK, laney are pretty good value. In the USA/canada, they're not such good value. Not too sure how good value they are in romania, to be honest.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
We probably import them from the UK... that is ... if we even have them...
Anyway my choices remain... it's either the Fender or the Peavey. Let's put it this way... what's the worst choice?

And you guys still haven't answered my question: "what are the pros and cons with 1 speaker and 2 speaker amps?"
The Fender Hot Rod is a superior amp to the Peavey Valveking, IMHO. But like the other advice you're getting in this thread, I don't think that it's a particularly good choice for you. There are no Peavey Classics available by you... ? The Classic or Delta Blues would probably be a better fit for your styles than the Valveking or Hot Rod.

I also prefer the Blues Deluxe to the HRD. The "more drive," is pretty useless. Both Fenders are better served with a good OD pedal than the stock OD, I feel the lackk of the extra circuitry in the BD serves as a tonal plus.

The main difference between a 1x12 and a 2x12 is that the 2x12 is heavier, and it's more expensive to replace the speakers.

Again, as has already been suggested, I wouldn't buy a new amp just to replace the speaker - I'd try to find one as near complete as I could.

The tubes you're looking at are very good, and I would suggest you upgrade them immediately. The idea being that spare tubes are a good thing to have anyway, so why not upgrade and hold onto the originals as spares? That's something I usually do.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
pretty much what slats said- though if you need overdrive/distortion, i'd say the valveking is a nicer amp than the hotrod. its overdrive channels are horrendous. I tried one again recently, and i was almost shocked at how bad its overdrive was.

i have no idea about valves, by the way, i was agreeing to the rest of the post.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dev23
We probably import them from the UK... that is ... if we even have them...
Anyway my choices remain... it's either the Fender or the Peavey. Let's put it this way... what's the worst choice?

And you guys still haven't answered my question: "what are the pros and cons with 1 speaker and 2 speaker amps?"

If you're gigging, I suggest a 2 speaker amp. More speakers will give you a richer sound, and will sound less boxy at higher volumes, giving you more stage presence.

And don't get a Peavey VK and put NOS glass in them. Thats like putting premium fuel in a Toyota Camry.
Hah... ok, you guys convinced me... the VK is off the list...
can you put your hands on a Laney VC30?

with an OD i think that'd suit you

also: paying money for an extra speaker is mainly paying money for extra bulk and extra weight, unless your giggin big venues and need to be heard
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I've asked around and I think I may be able to get that Laney from Thomann in Germany. But I've been reading that it has pretty big relyability issues.

Also, what do you guys think of this one:
HIWATT HGS50C - 775 euro