Ive been playing around for two years. I have bought and finished jamorama and emedia rock method. Ive played around with guitar pro.

The problem is these online courses have sort of left me at bar chords. When i come to the speed and the metallica techniques im still lost.

Ive heard terms like arpeggio and sweep picking. My question is what should i go on to learn and in what order?
Last edited by kyle8407 at Jul 1, 2008,
The best thing for me was to learn certain parts of certain songs that I liked, such as the solo in Sanitarium by Metallica. Or mabye just a section of a song, a certain riff or fill that you like. You'll beggin to pick things up along the way.
Thanks for that, you just raped my eyes.
Call me Batman.
-Learn Scales (pentatonic, major, minor)
Their uses, their functions, etc. There's a great article on music theory on this website you should read.

-Then learn chords, their functions, etc.

-Learn licks, how to do harmonics, etc.

-Then learn legato, alternate picking, downpicking (use a metronome ALWAYS). There are great lessons and patterns for all of these on this website.

-Then you can move on to tapping, sweeping and anything else that fancies your attention.

-Then you can learn more and more scales and modes, etc.

You don't have to do it in that EXACT order, but that's kind of what I did. And at each stage learn a few songs that have those techniques.
Quote by J.A.M
Thanks for that, you just raped my eyes.

Lol ,

thx for the help guys.

so i guess scales are first on my list, any particular ones?
C scale is a good one

C D E F G A B C

you can play it backwards and play the first line of Joy to the World. woot.

_________

_________

Patrick
4jacks
email
Buy speed mechanics for lead guitar by troy stetina. It covers scales, alternate picking, legato , sweep picking and other lead guitar techniques. Another option is rock discipline by john petrucci.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.