I've been told by a few of my religion teachers and relatives that the fact that I believe in Evolution at all makes me a sinner...

Is this true? I'm Catholic.

If it doesn't make sense, I view the bible as a book of metaphors and believe that God created the essence of matter and energy. Not what people are talking about that started the Big Bang, but I believe that God's will was for it to form an Earth through whatever process eventually did form it, and spawn what would eventually become us. It's kind of stupid.. But it lets me sleep at night knowing that I accept both my religion and science.

Please no flaming/ripping/hating on how stupid my theory is, Catholicism, my family members, or religious instructors.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
*Waits for a surge of 'yes, you're going to hell' comments.*
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Quote by Cpt.Jackass
*Waits for a surge of 'yes, you're going to hell' comments.*

I thought I was being original.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
Quote by ckellingc
Nah its ok for Catholics. Pope John Paul II said that as long as you believe that God had a part in it, then its all good.
Yup, you want to go tell your teachers that their leader accepted it and to stfu.
No.
Evolution is quite scientifically true to quite an extent. But not all of it is proven. Natural selection is a true phenomenon. But how the first living cell was formed is still very vague and debatable.
And i'm not gonna get into any arguments about evolution. So i'm not gonna say anything more.

So basically you're free to believe in what you wanna believe. No one's stopping you.
Religion is a very personal thing. You believe in God, and that's all he asks for. You're not sinning for listening to science.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I thinik they said that Science explains the how, Reilgion explains the why.

So all clear i think

( I don't knw who "they" is, but my RE teacher told me that ages ago in yr 11 or somehting)
CYMRU

Quote by apothecarrie
I cut my tongue with a spoon.

Andrew Wk Party Tip 11Be Awesomer!

Woo
I don't think you are a sinner, I am in a similar situation (christian, but believe in some scientific principals like evolution). I think really it's down to what you believe, just because you believe in the concept of a higher being like God, it doesn't mean you have to blindly believe everything the bible says word for word, I think it uses a lot of analogies and metaphors to get the message across, and I think that evolution and creationism have both played a part in the creation of the universe
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by ckellingc
Nah its ok for Catholics. Pope John Paul II said that as long as you believe that God had a part in it, then its all good.

Sounds like the pope sold out.

Anyway - I'm not a christian but I don't see why you would go to hell for that. I think the key to religion is to follow a certain set of guidelines to live the RIGHT life, to love and be loved, and to treat people the way you want to be treated yourself.

I'd give a better explanation about my views, but I'm not feeling like it at the moment.
Religious people can be split into two groups.

There's the narrow-minded superstitious fundamentalists, and then there's rational people like you. I salute you. You have a very sensible idea of what God could be and I have a lot of respect for that, despite not havign the same beliefs as you.
Quote by af_the_fragile
No.
Evolution is quite scientifically true to quite an extent. But not all of it is proven. Natural selection is a true phenomenon. But how the first living cell was formed is still very vague and debatable.
And i'm not gonna get into any arguments about evolution. So i'm not gonna say anything more.

So basically you're free to believe in what you wanna believe. No one's stopping you.

Evolution has nothing to do with abiogenesis. It is only concerend with what happened after life was created.
Quote by Jehuty
Sounds like the pope sold out.

Anyway - I'm not a christian but I don't see why you would go to hell for that. I think the key to religion is to follow a certain set of guidelines to live the RIGHT life, to love and be loved, and to treat people the way you want to be treated yourself.

I'd give a better explanation about my views, but I'm not feeling like it at the moment.
I dunno, someone probably handed him a review article and he thought "hmm, people would think me an utter fucktard if I rejected such weight of evidence as this"