im in a band and my bass amp is super small so our guitarist lends me his line six spider 3 amp for the normal guitar.it sounds okay but i am worrried that a bass running through it could blow out the amp or ruin the sound after a while. he says it wont but i want to be sure of it. could someone tell me please?
Hm... I'm not sure if it'll handle the lows that well. But I'm just guessing.
Signature
It will damage the speakers, and sound like ass to the boot.

Don't do it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
1. What the hell is a "normal amp?"
2. Spiders barely qualify as guitar amps.
3. The bass will blow out the speaker, admittedly not a bad idea.

So basically yeah, don't run a bass through a guitar speaker. Check the FAQ in the future.
The bass Will blow the amp, foo' :P

why d'ya think they have separate amps? lol
if it has a close backed cab it shouldn't damage the speaker, I've run a bass through a stock Marshall 1960A for a long time and never had problems, with an apoen backed cab however you do risk damaging the speaker.

and in any case it will not sound good.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
if it has a close backed cab it shouldn't damage the speaker, I've run a bass through a stock Marshall 1960A for a long time and never had problems, with an apoen backed cab however you do risk damaging the speaker.

and in any case it will not sound good.

You risk damaging it anyway, guitar drivers are not design to force out so much air or vibrate so much. If you crank the bass or volume, the speaker will blow, the back type matters little.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
actually it matters a lot, I've never seen an amp with a closed back have speaker damage from playing a bass through it, and like I said I've been using a Marshall guitar cab for bass for quite some time and have never had problems, I know quite a few people who use similar set ups.

And yeah, cranking the volume even with a regular guitar plugged into a guitar amp has a chance of blowing the speaker.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Yeah my guitarist has played my bass through his Crate stack (I left my bass at his house) and he didn't have any problems.

I guess as long as you're not blastin' it, it won't blow, but it won't sound good either.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
i learned from the salesman who sold me my bass, that if the bass guitar goes through a regular electric guitar amp it will ruin the amp.
Quote by bassman566
i learned from the salesman who sold me my bass, that if the bass guitar goes through a regular electric guitar amp it will ruin the amp.

It shouldn't ruin the amp, it's not like a speaker in a guitar cab designed and produced to work with higher frequencies. The speaker being designed for those higher frequencies can't handle the power and excursion required to reproduce a lower note from a bass guitar.

Anyways, to the TS. Stick to a bass amp, and don't worry about the results :]
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
It's not that you can never use a guitar head or cab, but if you're asking on a forum then it's obvious you don't know what you're doing. It certainly won't do the average guitar starter amp any good, which is what they're usually asking.