correct me if im wrong

but if i want to solo (and make it sound good) i should just memorize all of the scale shapes in all the keys, combine the shapes and know the notes on the fretboard so its a lot easier when looking for a certain sound correct ?
Well I would suggest you start learning music theory (The Crusade columns are really useful by Josh Urban) and memorizing the notes on the fretboard before learning a whole bunch of different scale shapes. And you should also start with the major scale.
i know a decent amount and as for applying it ....well thats another story

as for the major scale...the formula is 12345671 or WWHWWWH
the youtube video or the lesson

i saw him (or some guy) playing the solo and besides watching him and gettin envious, how does that help me out (besides more inspiration though)
Quote by fenderstrat730
i know a decent amount and as for applying it ....well thats another story

as for the major scale...the formula is 12345671 or WWHWWWH

Ok well I'm really just starting to learn theory myself so if im wrong somebody please correct me.

You use the WWHWWWH to discovery the notes of the major scale you then assign those notes to the 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 formula.

So in the C major scale your notes are:

C D E F G A B C
W W H W W W H

You then assign the numbers so that

C  D  E  F  G  A  B  C
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  1

Then you use those numbers to form chords so your major chord consists of 1 - 3 - 5 so the notes of a C major chord are C, E, and G.

As for more about soloing look at this: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5777562536751428345&q=melodic+control

I would take everything this guy says those with a grain of salt because his beginner video was pretty bad. His beginner video was more about focusing on being cool and picking up chicks rather then playing guitar.

Oh well hope this helps
Quote by fenderstrat730
correct me if im wrong

but if i want to solo (and make it sound good) i should just memorize all of the scale shapes in all the keys, combine the shapes and know the notes on the fretboard so its a lot easier when looking for a certain sound correct ?

In a word, no.

You want to be memorizing notes. The notes on your fretboard, the intervals between those notes, and the notes in the scales. That'll make it easier to tranpose keys when necessary.

+1 to flow of soul, read The Crusade in the columns section of the main site.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
No threadstarter. Its either alot more complicated than that, or incredibly simple.

The simple version, is you think up a random solo in your head, and just play it on the sofa.

But to do it based on theory, you need to realise scales are not patterns. There a series of notes based on a sequence.
Been away, am back