Ok, First off, let me introduce you to the guitar that needs some fixing: She is a Squier Affinity series Stratocaster, I bought her in June, 2001. She was originally my first guitar I ever played, and I wouldn't mind restoring it. Now, it's been close to two years since this guitar has ever seen a shop, and I really don't want to go in there, if it was something I could do on my own.

The Problem: I plugged the guitar in, and no noise came out of the amp. I tried a different amp, same problem, I tried a different cable, same problem, I plugged it directly into 3 different amps, and they all produced the same results. Basically It doesn't make any sound at all plugged in. I have pictures, I'll link you over to them at the bottom of this post. I think it's a wiring problem between my two tone controls, but than again it might just be that my pickups have stopped working on me.

Well, I figured it was a wiring problem, but I am not entirely sure, and I need some opinions on what you guys/girls think.

Pictures are here:

THANKS IN ADVANCED!!!!!!!

P.S. I am a REALLY bad photographer, so please, no flaming on my photo skills.
your should probably try it with some strings
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
your should probably try it with some strings

I did. I removed them however.
I couldnt see the wiring for the output jack. Make sure nothing is loose is the first thing I could tell you.
i see you just posted more pictures :P
and second make sure not hot wires are touching any kind of ground. but i couldn't really see anything from the pictures
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at Jul 1, 2008,
Another thing I wanna add, Is everything supposed to have a wire coming from it? Because I notice in between my two tone pots, there's a segment with no wiring.
^ no, thats normal, If it were me I'd desolder everything get a wiring diagram and resolder everything.
Ok so, I saw a wiring diagram for the strat, and it says there's supposed to be two capacitors on both tone pots. On my strat however, it only has one coming from tone 1, to the top of tone 2. Is that the problem?
Quote by carousel182
^ no, thats normal, If it were me I'd desolder everything get a wiring diagram and resolder everything.

Agreed, I'd also pull out all the rubbish Squire electrics, put in CTS pots and an oak switch.
Quote by divinorum69
or **** the electronics, and buy a prewired pickguard from GFS

Good point. I was thinking of buying myself a pre-wired EMG pickgaurd, but I wanted to see what you guys would think.
Quote by mark_wuk
Agreed, I'd also pull out all the rubbish Squire electrics, put in CTS pots and an oak switch.

Yeah the electrics are crap, all the wires are so frail. I think I might just disconnect the entire pickgaurd, and just solder a pre-wired pickgaurd, but I really wouldn't mind fixing up the one I have on there now.
Try swabbing all the contacts in the switch with some rubbing alcohol.
I brought a $35 pawn shop strat to life by doing that.
If that fails, prewired pickguard and input jack from GFS, soldier 2 points and you're done.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!