Ok this is a really common question but no one has answered it quite well enough for me to decide:

I have about $400 (preferably less) to spend this summer on a new amp. I am not a professional musician and probably never will be, however I play alot and I want quality. I am basically deciding between a Crate FW120 solid state or a V33-112 tube. Obviously the tube will sound better, but will I miss the extra power? Will a V33 keep up with drums ok? Could I possibly drop down to the V18 and still keep up with drums? I dont do hardcore metal so I dont care about high gain, I'm more interested in a Led Zepplin-like mid-gain amp. Basically I want the best sounding amp I can get for the least money, to play primarily at low volumes in my apartment, however I will about once a month get together with friends and play with drums and other guitars etc. so I need it to be somewhat loud.

In summary I want exactly what I need and not a penny more. Any suggestions?
Yay, a July 08'er.
Go for the V33

Look at peavey classics too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Is that a no for the V18-112? How the hell can there be a V18-212 if 18 watts is not pretty significant?
Quote by tubetime86
Is that a no for the V18-112? How the hell can there be a V18-212 if 18 watts is not pretty significant?

Probably because most people underestimate the power of an 18 watt valve amp
No, 18 watts can still get over drummers.
It's all a matter of clean headroom. If you like to play with an overdriven amp, usually a lower wattage amp is more suitable. If you want a cleaner sounding amp, go for a higher wattage.
But, either one should work well for you.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Depends, the FW120 has a lot of distortion. The tone is ok, and it sounds good for metal.

But the tube will have better tone, and will probably need a distortion pedal for metal (not quite sure.)
I like a little overdriven, rarely use clean... (mostly for latenight with effects when I'm too intoxicated to notice tone too much anyway ha). So the 18 would probably be ok, I wouldnt be doing it harm but cranking it a couple times a month? thanks for the advice, Ive heard you (darkarbiter) are the man to speak to around here.
Yeah, the 18 will get 'er done.
Nope, you won't be doing it harm to crank it. That's the whole point of tube amps.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by dlmebag
Depends, the FW120 has a lot of distortion. The tone is ok, and it sounds good for metal.

But the tube will have better tone, and will probably need a distortion pedal for metal (not quite sure.)

Quote by tubetime86
I dont do hardcore metal so I dont care about high gain, I'm more interested in a Led Zepplin-like mid-gain amp.

Obviously the V33 is the better choice.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by tubetime86
I like a little overdriven, rarely use clean... (mostly for latenight with effects when I'm too intoxicated to notice tone too much anyway ha). So the 18 would probably be ok, I wouldnt be doing it harm but cranking it a couple times a month? thanks for the advice, Ive heard you (darkarbiter) are the man to speak to around here.

if you postively don't need a clean sound when playing with a drummer, i guess the 18watt would do fine. but you never know, so i'd take the 33watt one to be safe. and plus, you can still crank it when you need to.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Small tube my friend. I took the change over to tube amps and will never look back.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

Quote by UnsignedRecords
if you postively don't need a clean sound when playing with a drummer, i guess the 18watt would do fine. but you never know, so i'd take the 33watt one to be safe. and plus, you can still crank it when you need to.

Like the Jersey boy said, either is fine, but on a budget the V18-112 will do the job well.

^I've been sig'd again, nice.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Yay, a July 08'er.
Go for the V33

Look at peavey classics too.

Yesh.

V33 is nice. A lot nicer than I used to believe. I've seen a couple of vids where Billy Gibbons is playing through a V50, and it sounds down right epic.
However it is a little annoying that the 18w is $329 the 33w is $379 and the 50w is $399.... guess im spending the full $400
^thats because they are all pretty much the same amp with different transformers and tubes. Transformers are expensive but not THAT expensive which means higher wattage amps can be sold for just a little bit more. Amp companies that charge insane amounts for higher wattage amps with the same features are just taking advantage.
Not taking any online orders.
anyone interested in selling me a brand new crate v50-112 for under $100? if this just sounds too unfair to me feel free to throw in an epiphone les paul custom, I appreciate your strong moral composition.
Quote by Dartman007
do the tube amps, specifically the V18-112, have good sound at low volumes?

Yes. But great cranked.
^ +1
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
i guess the 18watt would do fine. but you never know, so i'd take the 33watt one to be safe.

Just me and a drummer, I've cut thru with a 5W 1x12. The 18W'er'll do that no problem.

The real issue is the power of amp the other guitarist and bass player are using, and how loud they are. If they're reasonable, then the 18 is fine. If they're not, the 33 should really be fine. Get the 50 if you prefer the tone. Don't get it for volume. There's really not that much difference in that respect at all.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.