So up to now I've been a bass player, but now I've picked up an acoustic.

Playing the bass I became accustomed to the large space in between the strings. Playing the acoustic, my fingering was all wrong, I pushed down three strings at a time, or had one of my fingers touching the string so it wouldn't play a note.

Any tips on how to get used to the strings?
not to be a complete arse hole but my perfect idea for you would to be practice or buy a good guitar dvd thats how i learned some acoustic guitar!
dude, I feel you pain. I recently bought a bass. Just keep on playing it. Also, get into some theory. The guitar is a little bit more involved than a bass, the same way a piano is to a guitar. The more you know on the guitar, the more you can apply to a bass.

Another thing: If you're using your fingers like you do on a bass you might want to get some instruction from a fingerstyle player. Playing the bass is way different than playing the guitar as far as finger usage.
I think thats one of the hardest ways to go from bass to acoustic, like above there is some really good DVD's out there that help with finger positioning. No easy answer to this one mate but regular practice and try laying the guitar down a little more i found that helped with my finger positioning.
Thanks for all the help, I'm gonna carry on practicing and look for a good DVD
i went from bass to guitar no problem, are you arching your fingers and playing with just the tips because if you're flattening them you're bound to hit more than one string
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
Quote by bass dude nick
i went from bass to guitar no problem, are you arching your fingers and playing with just the tips because if you're flattening them you're bound to hit more than one string

At first I was flattening, but then I found the acoustic doesn't need to be held down as much as the bass, so now im using my tips.
Quote by meh17
At first I was flattening, but then I found the acoustic doesn't need to be held down as much as the bass, so now im using my tips.

so are you still having the same problem since you started using your tips?
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
Quote by bass dude nick
so are you still having the same problem since you started using your tips?

It's not so constant. Now it'll only happen once in a while, but it's defo getting better and better.

Downloaded a DVD too, so its all good.
You just need to stretch your fingers around the neck a bit more. And as stated before, it all comes down to practice.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.