...is a chop? I have been playing for a number of years now and still don't know what one is. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum - as I don't now what a chop is, I don't know where to ask the question!

Thanks.
Technique or meat, but in this case, probably the former.

When someone says, "Yngwie Malmsteen has great chops," they mean that the man has great technical abilities.
Chops are playing ability. For example, how well/fast you can sweep pick, how fast you can tremolo pick, tapping skills, etc.

EDIT:

Damn it BGC, always taking the glory.
Quote by Greg Harper
...is a chop? I have been playing for a number of years now and still don't know what one is. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum - as I don't now what a chop is, I don't know where to ask the question!

Thanks.

basically what you can play = your chops

It doesn't really refer to how fast you can play, and its not just about technical ability. For example Eric Clapton (Slowhand) is considered by many to have great "chops".
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 1, 2008,
once heard (hard to find source) its an extension of the term "woodshedding" ie: intense study/practice....where you fine tune your "chops"

American terminology can be fascinating..

wolf
Chops is from teh old jazz days. Trumpet players, for example, develop tremendous "chops" (as in, facial muscles and jowly appearance) due to spending hours practicing forcing air through a glorified tube.

Just to the left and right of the guys mouth - that guy has some serious chops. To compliment a trumpet player, one could naturally refer to the visible effects of all that practice. Course, as jazz developed and other instruments came into the fray, the term naturally expanded to include them.
Quote by GuitarMunky
For example Eric Clapton (Slowhand) is considered by many to have great "chops".
He can play some pretty quick stuff.

Regardless, technique doesn't always, refer to speed, though it usually does. It can refer to control over dynamics and vibrato (and probably more) as well.