I really know very little about recording, but I have been asked by the leader of my band to inquire on what sort of set up would help us best produce some live recordings.

I haven't been told this word for word, but I believe this is a big aspect of our music and we are very serious, so its something we would be willing to invest some money in, whithin reason of course.

Typically we are playing outdoors in an open field.

As the bassist, I run through 2-3 amps. The guitar will be running at least 1 amp(he's new we're not exactly sure what his setup is like). Then the Keyboards and multiple microphones for our various singers all run through a soundboard and then out a few different monitors. We have a drummer too of course (we don't mic the drumkit or anything).

Occasionally we have someone like a sax player or trumpet that has a instrument mic going into the soundboard too.

any advice on where to start is appreciated.

I'm sure that alot of the information is within the Recordin FAQ, and I have been starting to read that. I'm really concerned about what aspects I need to be concerned about that may differ because of it being live. Are there any special concerns I should worry about?
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
The problem with recording everyone live is you need a large input interface which keeps everyone on their own track so you can later tweak the audio. You probably could use two mics out in front of the band to capture sound but you wont get anywhere near the qualtiy as you would micing each piece of audio gear and feeding it to its own audio track on the sequencer.

Two PreSonus FP10s would probably work well if you can get a computer on the field to run all day and is fast enough to track all the inputs.

If you dont have a computer on hand (desktop would be best here IMO) then you can do the Digital mixer and HD recorder method which I think is best.

Yamaha 01V96 V2 Digital Mixer
Alesis HD24 hard disk digital 24 input recorder

You may also want the Yamaha MY16AT 16-Channel ADAT Card ($500) for the mixer so you only would have to use a few optical cables to connect between the mixer and recorder. Monoprice.com is great for cables.

The digital mixer has on board FX if you want to use them but you can skip them all and put them in later with a DAW if you choose to.
Ok, thanks for the input. We may be able to get a computer out there. We have a generator, its only got so much power it can give, but when we got it, we planned for more equipment in our future. So as long as we keep pouring the gas in, it ought to keep everything running.

As for the computer, I saw on musiciansfriend that it said "The FP10 interface comes with the PreSonus Pro Pak Software Suite featuring Steinberg's Cubase LE 4 48-track recording software." Is that adequate software to use for our recording purpose?

Also, I was curious what our options for computers would be. What would an ideal setup for our situation if we were to use the FP10s?
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Your drums aren't miked, and you have keys and sax. Is this a jazz band?

Depending on the genre of music, (like jazz, for instance) it just might sound more authentic getting a couple of good condensors and setting them up as a stereo pair (coincident pair, XY configuration, etc. are good things to look up).

Multi-tracking with everything on its own track is great for pop and rock productions, but often comes across as "unauthentic" for jazz, bluegrass, blues, and classical recordings.

If you go that route, that changes *everything* discussed so far.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.