Hi guys, basically im looking for an entire recording solution. I honestly dont know what i should be researching, so i have to burden you great UG'ers with a quest to share knowledge!! Lol...

Basically, we have two guitarists, lead (me) and rythm, a bassist, and we're looking for a drummer...

I'm looking for something that can be recorded to with being plugged into the computer. So an onboard hard drive, or memory card type thing.

Gonna need 5 or 6 inputs, (guitar 1, guitar 2, bass, drums, vocals). I think a mixer of sorts would be used for the drumset mics.

Is it better to just mic the amps with a shure 57 or plug the amps into the recorder box or whatever?

I assume the mic'ing option.

Thanks a lot in advance UG!
It would be easier if you gave a rough estimate of your budget. Equipment can vary widely in price.
There is poetry in despair.
Well, we're looking to just find out whats the best or whats pretty good, and then split the total cost between us. Currently, its just 3 of us, and we have been mates for years e.t.c. and so there isnt a fear of people leaving or whatever.

How much does the average high end rig cost? (Not including drum mics and a mixer)
Quote by Edgey_15
Well, we're looking to just find out whats the best or whats pretty good, and then split the total cost between us. Currently, its just 3 of us, and we have been mates for years e.t.c. and so there isnt a fear of people leaving or whatever.

How much does the average high end rig cost? (Not including drum mics and a mixer)

I know little about recording, but I can tell you now that a high end rig is going to set you back $1000's+
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

Well, thats around £500. We can easily come up with that between three of us, so thats ok.
Computer recording is nice in price and easy. Get yourself a PreSonus FP10 firewire interface (good for tracking 8 inputs for a miced drum set) and then after you track the drums, plug everyone else in and have them record their part.
Mix in the box with the software.

Mixing before the interface isn't something I would ever do. you can really improve the sound of drums if you have each pad on its own track.

I would mic the amps. You will get the tone of the cabinet and such which sounds better than DIing to the interface IMO.

Mics, stands, headphones, monitors...all will add up to add up quickly. Spend wisely and try to get good but used gear if you can.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 1, 2008,
You'll need an interface and good microphones, not to mention a lot of stands if it's acoustic drums, and cables can add up to a surprising amount. Mixers are actually not necessary if you plan on doing stuff in the computer.

My idea: Presonus Firestudio Project or two Alesis i|O 24s (depending on whether you need 8 or 16 microphones at once for instruments, or if you are willing to do one instrument at a time playing over a rough mix). Two SM57s, a Rode NT1A, and a Samson drum kit set. That should just fit 500 pounds.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers

My idea: Presonus Firestudio Project or two Alesis i|O 24s (depending on whether you need 8 or 16 microphones at once for instruments, or if you are willing to do one instrument at a time playing over a rough mix). Two SM57s, a Rode NT1A, and a Samson drum kit set. That should just fit 500 pounds.

Sorry to go off-topic, but I was wondering.

Why is it that I can find the iO 24 on plenty of websites, but I can't find the iO 14?

On-topic, the advice this guy gave is pretty much on.
Quote by Edgey_15

A really high end rig can easily set you back over 25 grand.

Basically, the advice already given by moody and Fastfingers is pretty solid. I'd go with the Presonus interface.
There is poetry in despair.
Ok, thanks alot guys.

Btw, how the **** can a recording rig go up to 25 grand? I'm not buying a whole studio :P
Well...there's:

High quality preamps. Some are $2000 for a single channel.
High quality converters. These can run $2000 for two channels only. These convert the audio into usable 1s and 0s and back into accurate sound. Your interface is a preamp and converter wrapped into one.
Compressors, eq, limiters can cost a lot too.
Acoustic treatment
Monitors
Computers (Mac Pros...they can cost as much as a car)
Microphones (Anything by Neumann will cost a pretty penny...some are 5k new...let's not even discuss the legendary U47)

So it's actually very easy to see them cost $25k.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

Quote by Edgey_15

High end, ya say? It can get *insanely* expensive. Safe to say that 99.9% of us will never, ever even SEE a high end piece of gear in our lifetime.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Calrec-Q2-Analogue-Audio-Mixing-Console-NEVE-SSL-Faders_W0QQitemZ360065808459QQihZ023QQcategoryZ23785QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If I spend that much money on one thing, I insist on being able to live in it. Seriously!!

Hmm... but okay.... you said not mixers. Note the above one is essentially just the mixer and preamps. No mics, cables, stands, rack gear, compressors, recording media, recording device, etc. is included there.

But what about high end recording gear?

Soundcard. Want to do a whole band? Get at least two of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lynx-Two-C-24-bit-200kHz-reference-PCI-audio-card_W0QQitemZ270076240665QQihZ017QQcategoryZ41784QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Digital Converters: (a nice accompaniment to your lynx card)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apogee-Rosetta-800-8CH-24bit-192Khz-AD-DA-Converter_W0QQitemZ320269324541QQihZ011QQcategoryZ41784QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Geez... we're up to almost $5000 already, and we've only *just* begun!

Preamps: Two channels:
http://cgi.ebay.com/AVALON-2022-Avalon-AD2022-Dual-Mic-Preamp-NEW_W0QQitemZ280241356286QQihZ018QQcategoryZ23790QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wanna do a band? Better get at least five of those. Holy crap... there's another $15000!

Here is ONE mic, the famous U87:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-NIB-NEUMANN-U87AI-MIC-SET-Z-WITH-SHOCK-MOUNT_W0QQitemZ320269929983QQihZ011QQcategoryZ41466QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

of course, you'll need more than that to do a full band...

And if you want to get into vintage gear....
http://cgi.ebay.com/Telefunken-Microphone-Ela-M-251-Excellent-Condition_W0QQitemZ230265852359QQihZ013QQcategoryZ64449QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That one item alone is over 20G's!

INSANE!!

We have no monitors or software yet either. No room treatments/soundproofing. Eieiei!

Now, are you interested in high end still?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Jul 2, 2008,
Haha yes you have... you could just get an 8 track mixer which records onto a disc (yamaha used to make one of these, i forgot the model though) you can then take the disc and mix down the audio onto a laptop with reaper or something. You will need a fair few mic's but if you say £500 ish is your budget you could easily pick up some Sennheiser's or Shure's for around £50 a pop. Cheaper than $170,000 mixers and the like anyway! :|
Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
Just curious... your options become so much more wide open if you can use a computer you already have, especially given your budget. Why do you not want to go that way?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I will be using the computer, but i do not have space in my computer room for an entire band haha. And no wires long enough.

And it needs to be quite portable, as we dont always practice at my house, sometimes we practice in college practice rooms e.t.c.
You plan on recording practices? If you have a laptop, portability won't be a problem. Otherwise, a multi-track record like the Zoom HD8CD may not be a bad investment to make rough B-sides. It's still far better to bring the interface around for the greater amount of post-production control.
Quote by keiron_d

Even if money is no concern, I'd stray away from the Avalon preamps, especially anything with 2 channels. You can get far superior boxes for less the money.

EDIT: Based on my past budgeting plans, the minimum you can spend on gear alone to have a proper, functioning high-end studio is about $150k-200k. If you want anything more than the bare minimums for a studio that runs say 24 channels of preamps, Pro Tools HD, fair selection of mics and outboard gear etc, it's very easy to run into the $300k range, especially if you are getting guitar/bass/drum gear as well.
Last edited by MrPillow at Jul 3, 2008,