so im looking to upgrade the humbucker in the bridge of my (freshly painted) yamaha pacifica 112, i did ask at my thread over in GB&C (https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=892962) but i didnt really get any real replies so i thought i would ask here.

I play mostly classic/hard rock, blues and a bit of indie from time to time.

i have heard good things about seymour duncan jb's and custom5's, just wanted to get your guys opinions, yay or nay???... other suggestions??

~schnips~
They JB is nice. But they're both hotter pickups. May I suggest the SD '59?
I play the same stuff as you and I'm putting that in my bridge.

What I would suggest is going to pup sites like Seymour Duncan and they normally have tools that will help you pick the pickup you want.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
They JB is nice. But they're both hotter pickups. May I suggest the SD '59?
I play the same stuff as you and I'm putting that in my bridge.

What I would suggest is going to pup sites like Seymour Duncan and they normally have tools that will help you pick the pickup you want.

i might be really wrong here but i thought the '59 was designed to go in the kneck slot?? or does it not really matter
Last edited by schnips63 at Jul 1, 2008,
duncans are pretty expensive for what they are in the UK... i'd be looking at swinesheads, rockmonkeys, bareknuckles, bulldogs, and maybe irongears (if you really want to cheap out). Email any and all of those companies for recommendations...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
been onto the seymour duncan tone comparison area and i did actually really like the '59 over the jb but i think that the one i liked the most was the alnico II pro(does that seem like a weird choice?). and i feel like even though i like that pickup i maybe should go with something a bit hotter in order to give my guitar a bit more versatility, so.... thoughts??

and dave_mc i went onto all the other pickup websites you suggested and they didnt seem like it was worth saving a bit of money for pickups that sounded that much inferior (understand that i am only basing this on what i have access to, namely sound clips on each website, which i know might not do them justice)

~schnips~
Quote by schnips63
been onto the seymour duncan tone comparison area and i did actually really like the '59 over the jb but i think that the one i liked the most was the alnico II pro(does that seem like a weird choice?). and i feel like even though i like that pickup i maybe should go with something a bit hotter in order to give my guitar a bit more versatility, so.... thoughts??

and dave_mc i went onto all the other pickup websites you suggested and they didnt seem like it was worth saving a bit of money for pickups that sounded that much inferior (understand that i am only basing this on what i have access to, namely sound clips on each website, which i know might not do them justice)

~schnips~

I have both Duncan and Swineshead pickups and the swineshead to me is superior tonewise.

The soundclips on their site are recorded with a Marshall AVT or were the last time I heard, so don't expect miracles.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
timi_hendrix what duncan and swinsehead do you have in what position? and what music do you normally play? what makes you say that the swinsehead has a better tone?

sorry for all the questions but.. you know.. may aswell pick your brains...
Quote by schnips63
timi_hendrix what duncan and swinsehead do you have in what position? and what music do you normally play? what makes you say that the swinsehead has a better tone?

sorry for all the questions but.. you know.. may aswell pick your brains...

I have a Custom 5 bridge, jazz neck combo in one guitar, and a Venom (swineshead) in another.

I play loads of different stuff, so I needed something fairly versatile. The Custom 5 is a nice pickup, no doubt, it's nice for hard rock stuff which I play a lot of the time, fairly nice clean but a little too brash for my liking. The swineshead is hotter and tighter sounding due to the ceramic magnet, and it's brighter. It's clearer than the Duncan which is it's main advantage for me, the duncan can get a little muddy but the venom is always clear. It's too hot to be used clean though, it pushes the amp a little too hard, but dirty it sounds fantastic.

I like both pickups, but for the price I think you get more for your money with Swineshead. Something like a Warthog would probably be better to compare to the Custom 5, but I hope I helped anyway. They're both in mahogany set-neck guitars so I think it's about as fair a comparison as you'll get unless someone's used those two pickups in the same guitar.

I'll try and get Dave back in here, he has guitars with Swinesheads and Duncans too.

My Music
I've found the GFS vintage '59 to be incredibly versatile for blues, jazz, rock n' roll, and even early punk. Little fatter and less bite than the seymour duncan, but when I paired it with a mean 90 in the bridge, all the top end I need plus a nice tight bottom end.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
i haven't had my swineys wired in since i got my duncans, lol, so i can't exactly do a head-to-head. they're in completely different guitars, anyway, so it's unlikely to be a completely fair contest anyway.

Though I did try duncans (in shop guitars) when i had my swineys, and i preferred my swineys. I have a warthog bridge, spotlight middle, and condor neck in an ibanez rg.

what guitar do you have those duncans in, tim? i didn't know you had duncans...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't had my swineys wired in since i got my duncans, lol, so i can't exactly do a head-to-head. they're in completely different guitars, anyway, so it's unlikely to be a completely fair contest anyway.

Though I did try duncans (in shop guitars) when i had my swineys, and i preferred my swineys. I have a warthog bridge, spotlight middle, and condor neck in an ibanez rg.

what guitar do you have those duncans in, tim? i didn't know you had duncans...

Viper 400. They were selling off the old ones for £370 on Gak so I thought why not, I didn't expect to get duncans since they listed it as the EMG model. 'Twas a pleasant surprise when I opened the box

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Viper 400. They were selling off the old ones for £370 on Gak so I thought why not, I didn't expect to get duncans since they listed it as the EMG model. 'Twas a pleasant surprise when I opened the box

ah, ok. sounds like a good deal!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, it was considering the usual prices. I don't think it's really worth the price I paid to be honest, it should be in the £300-350 price range. But it's a nice guitar all the same.

My Music
yeah, esp and ltd are ridiculous over here. a shop here was trying to charge like £900 for an ec1000 i tried a while back. I mean, it's a decent guitar, but £900? o_O
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, and some people will actually pay those prices too, I feel sorry for them. A mate of mine bought the cheap Hammett sig, poor guy.

My Music
indeed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
o.k... im bringing this thread back because i think i have finally come to a descision(ish) to put a alinco II pro in the bridge.....or maybe a JB it depends what mood im in when i actually place the order really...i keep switching

does anyone have any experience of these in a strat??? is the JB too hot to play clean??
the jb is pretty darn hot, yeah. if you have a quality volume pot on your guitar, of course you could turn that down a bit for cleaner cleans. but it's certainly a high gain pickup (in my opinion, anyway).

considering you're in the UK, why not consider swineshead or rockmonkey? something like a swineshead warthog (maybe even a runaway) would be great for what you want in the bridge position. rockmonkeys are meant to be great too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if you get chummy with corduroyEW he'll prolly be able to sort you out real good with a HB to your requirements
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by schnips63
o.k... im bringing this thread back because i think i have finally come to a descision(ish) to put a alinco II pro in the bridge.....or maybe a JB it depends what mood im in when i actually place the order really...i keep switching

does anyone have any experience of these in a strat??? is the JB too hot to play clean??

I would probably avoid the Alnico II Pro.

Check out a Dimarzio Drop Sonic(d-sonic). Very versatile. I think it would do you well.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
dave_mc... sorry im stupid what do you really mean by a quality pot?? do you just mean good quality brand... if so could anyone point me in the direction good a good push/pull pot

JLT73.... why would you recommend i avoid the alnico pro II???
^ yeah, i just mean like a decent quality of pot (and a treble bleed capacitor wouldn't hurt either if you don't want to lose treble and presence when you turn down the volume). I'm not too well up on electronics though, if you want to know some good brands you're probably best to ask in the gear building and customising forum.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by schnips63
JLT73.... why would you recommend i avoid the alnico pro II???

I think it will be overly bassy for you.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
right now im just goin out of my effing mind trying to research the best pickup for mebecause i like to get things right the first time...

so in order to change the direction of this thread completely im gonna ask how do you more experienced guys go about choosing the right pickup for you or do you just make a more rash descision then me??
Last edited by schnips63 at Jul 6, 2008,
your best bet is to email the companies, as i suggested above. trying them out in guitars in shops can also help too, but be aware they may sound different in the shop guitar than in yours...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by schnips63
right now im just goin out of my effing mind trying to research the best pickup for mebecause i like to get things right the first time...

so in order to change the direction of this thread completely im gonna ask how do you more experienced guys go about choosing the right pickup for you or do you just make a more rash descision then me??

When I chose my swineshead I just thought about what the stock pickup in my guitar lacked and looked at the specs to see which one would suit me best. And I emailed them too, they're very helpful.

My Music
yep, pretty much, well put tim. figure out what you don't like about the current pickup, and try to rectify that. then email for advice (explaining what you want to change, what your guitar and amp are, what tones you want, etc. ).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd say a Duncan JB or maybe a Duncan George Lynch Screamin' Demon. I Know the Screamin' Demon sounds like a metal pickup but I've heard it's a great pickup for all types of music. The Duncan website has sound clips to help players choose the right pickup.
Let us know which one you choose in the end & how you like it! I have a Pacifica 112 and occaisionally GAS for replacements for the stock pickups, so I'm interested in hearing how you make out.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
I'd say a Duncan JB or maybe a Duncan George Lynch Screamin' Demon. I Know the Screamin' Demon sounds like a metal pickup but I've heard it's a great pickup for all types of music. The Duncan website has sound clips to help players choose the right pickup.

i didn't think the screamin' demon was all that hot when i tried it. it's pretty much medium output i think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well thanks to all for your help especially dave_mc and timi_hendrix, today after a bit of a chat with CorduroyEW about what i wanted, i ordered a custom humbucker from rockmoneyguitars.com (his business). and although i havent actually got the pickup yet, his service so far is excellent...

will keep you posted but probly in this thread instead....https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=892962
sounds like a good choice to me...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?