Ok, I know how much the whole world hates Behringers equipment, but my friend has a Behringer 8x10 cabinet for $300. He runs it through an old Hartke head. I knew he's had it for awhile and I kinda shunned him for it, but today I went over and played it. The whole thing sounded amazing! The lows were pretty beastly(although a muddy) and the high and mids were clear. The only problem with it was the horn, that seemed distorted on highs. Now after actually trying something out by Behringer, I am surely surprised. Sound quality wasn't as good as another friend's of mine Ampeg stack, but still for $300 I see it as a steal. I bet their cabs are the only great thing though, if the sell their combo's with the speakers peak wattage listed...

Has any other hater of Behringer actually tried their equipment? (I'm not thinking about buying anything from them)
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I have a 120 watt behringer combo and I know everyone says you need a gazillion watts to play with a drummer and that behringers only have half the wattage they say its fine for me, even if it muddy.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
It'll fall apart in a few weeks.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by dancesisidance
It'll fall apart in a few weeks.

How do you know though, I've been playing mine for ages and I haven't had a problem.

I don't mean to be hostile mate, but have you had any long term experience with a behringer?

EDIT: And I'm not some massive Behringer lover by the way, I plan on getting a better amp as soon as possible, it's just that most of the people complaining probably have never had any experience with one.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Jul 1, 2008,
Behringer cabs are better than their heads but still not fantastic.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Apparently my friend has had it since February. Its been working fine since.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Apparently my friend has had it since February. Its been working fine since.

5 months is not the time scale to measure longevity of a cab on.

A good, well-contructed cab, worth the money you spent, should be able to live a life on the road, in the back of vans, being abused and still last 5+ years.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I have a 1*15 paper cone cab that sounds fine as long as you don't turn the horn on(it has a terrible hiss). It's built sturdy enough, and sounds fine for how cheap it is.

Still, reliability is always an issue with behringer so who knows how long the speaker will last, and why should I pay for a cab with a horn if the horn is noisy to the point of being unusable? The cab is also pretty compact, and the bass response seems fairly far from ideal because of it. If I could go back a few years I wouldn't buy the thing again.
Behringer's bad reputation is more to do with their electronics than their speakers. It's hard to make a bad 810 really because each speaker isn't making much noise at sub-deafness levels compared to when you're pushing a smaller cab.
behringer is huge in the sound reinforcement department. its just when they try to make the sound (amps, effects, etc) is when they completely fail. not sayin that their stuff isnt reliable or crappy. i have a behringer head and cab. the cab is fine and the head is good enough to stay above the drummer. the only thing wrong with it is that it really doesnt sound good.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
1x12 ultrabass behringer combo, 180w.

Ive had it for almost a year now, it has yet to blow. The 7 band EQ is a great boon, I can get just the right sound from it, but the Ultrabass feature is basically an octaver that has terrible tracking, and I can't even notice when the compresser is on. Really, it is a nice amp that I have found to be reliable, it is just that the random trinkets they throw on it are fairly bad.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
1x12 ultrabass behringer combo, 180w.

Ive had it for almost a year now, it has yet to blow. The 7 band EQ is a great boon, I can get just the right sound from it, but the Ultrabass feature is basically an octaver that has terrible tracking, and I can't even notice when the compresser is on. Really, it is a nice amp that I have found to be reliable, it is just that the random trinkets they throw on it are fairly bad.

Possibly you play very evenly? That way you shouldn't notice the compressor unless you have it set too high and it's compressing every note and it sounds terrible. Either that or you've just never hit hard enough to hit the threshold.
I mainly see most one knob on-amp compressors as something to stop your slapping from getting too out of hand.

I have the exact same model, and mine had problems with it after about 6 months, so I just got a replacement under warranty. The electrics were ****ed on the original, possibly because I drove it too hard.

I will say that I also hate the Ultrabass, although occasionally it made for some cool synthy sounds when I was messing about. The distortion was a handy feature, I think, though.

As for the EQ, the amp sounds pretty crap anyway, so there's not a great deal the EQ can do for it, then again, I have the aluminium speaker version so it may be that.
tone can be good on Behringers (but not for basses, from what I've seen).

but they are too unreliable, and I will never buy another.

mine actually lasted a year, which pretty much means I'm lucky.

It had the worst tone ever, and when I went to the store the next time, I played almost every 100 watt or less amp in there.

the only one that didn't sound way better was a Line 6 some idiot blew out.

any amp called t-bird is as doomed to failure as the said bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
According to a TalkBass thread I read, the Behringer was about $300 new (btw, the thread involved a dude wanting to upgrade from an SWR 410 to a Behringer 810 ). Whether or not that price point is exact I cannot ascertain (considering Behringer cancelled the product), but I will guarantee that the cab was no more than $500. Considering it's used, where's the deal?

Secondly, on a cabinet of that price-point, the power handling simply cannot be that great. Assuming it is, there's absolutely no way the cabinet is made of anything other than particle board. Not even MDF.

You can probably get a used Ampeg 810 for a few hundred more. Why bother with this one?

Anyway, those are a few reasons that cab would be a poor choice. And notice none of those reasons contain ANY information about the quality of Behringer itself. The cab is logistically an awful choice, irrespective of its quality.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
my first amp was a behringer combo
and it was a peice of ****.

i doubt that the behringer speakers are doing most of the work making the sound.
because i just bought a hartke stack a couple of days ago
and the head on it is ****ing amazing best tone ever!

the behringer would be making it loud and the hartke head would be making the great sound
my behringer combo sounds fine except, i have played through 3 of this model and 2 of them had the tweeter distortion you talk of. its probably common within behringer
any problem is common with Behringer.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I had a Behringer 2x12 combo with only 60 watts. It was loud as hell. Slapping sounded way cool on it. Only problem was that the baffle rattled. When you turned it up to about a 4, certain notes such as F# and C made the baffle rattle really bad. When you put your hands on it, it would stop. So, obviously it needed reinforcement. Only problem was that there was absolutely no way to reinforce it without it showing, and there was no way to get inside of the cabinet without tearing the thing apart. The music store I got it from didn't want to touch it so they allowed me full credit to give it back to them.

If their stuff can't hold up to an overrated 60 watt amp at a volume of 4, with only one driver, I'd be scared of an 8x10 stack.
I played one at guitar center and blew out a speaker myself.

This combined with my Behringer PA exploding on the 3rd day I had it,
will prevent me from ever buying any Behringer equipment ever again.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by thefitz

You can probably get a used Ampeg 810 for a few hundred more. Why bother with this one?

as theFitz said, no deal here. $150 tops.
and as Dan said, probably not worth that.
My practice amp is a behringer, because it was the cheapest in the shop.
It sounds okay, but its a practice amp so I abuse it alot, and it hasn't failed me yet.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
i tried a head with a 2x10 cab and other 2x10 GK cab
the sound of that behringer almost killed my ears
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I tried a Behringer 8x10 tonight for the first time...I first tried it with a Hiwatt 100w amp and then a Traynor YBA 200 bass head (both are tube/valve amps) with my Ric 4001
I have to admit that I was NOT impressed..I could not dial a good sound in at all..
Heigh ho...