anytime someone (especially a noob) post asking which SS? y'all automaticlly flame him for being an idiot amd wamt to crucify him?

Sure, tube may sound better, but not everybody can afford $700+ for a deccent tube amp.

Why?

is it the whole analog v. digital thing?

or are y'all just wacko's like that?
why is the SEARCH BAR anti-christ? Jeez...

(i.e their was a thread on this 2-3 days ago or something.)
There's a thread on this at least 3-4 times a week.

Use the search bar before someone flames you for asking.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
well, I would, really. But I have dial-up and it takes the searchbar like 20 minutes to load.

but again, sorry.
Since when were tube amps over 700 bucks?
There's probably a dozen good tube amps under the 300 dollar mark.
And thanks to Blackheart and Epiphone, you can get amps around the 200 dollar mark.

Also, which amp did you end up getting?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I personaly don't have a preferance, but most of the people you just described are what we call elitists. Alot of guitarists have been told by old timers that tube amps are superior and believed it without thinking about it. I'm sure that if ss amps developed before tube amps the majority of guitarists would be bashing everyone with a tube amp.
fine since you keep asking.

I havent yet actually, I am a poor college student, still live with parents, and get no allowance, have no job, and cant get a job b/c OCD (long story).

So I have been trying to convince my parents to get me the new amp.

I have decided on the Frontman 65R. I am going to buy a chorus pedal, and the Space Echo re-issue.

I am buying the above for now, but when I get good enough to gig, I WILL save up and buy a tube, most likely JC-120 (not tube but still sounds amazing), Orange, or a Twin Reverb or some other Fender.
Quote by david_highland
I personaly don't have a preferance, but most of the people you just described are what we call elitists. Alot of guitarists have been told by old timers that tube amps are superior and believed it without thinking about it. I'm sure that if ss amps developed before tube amps the majority of guitarists would be bashing everyone with a tube amp.

No.

I've been there and tried a large number of SS amps a quite frankly none of the ones that I've tried match up to the tonal quality put out by a decent tube amp. I'm aware it's down to personal taste but 99% of the people who have tried tube and SS honestly prefer the tube sound because it really is that much more pleasing to most people.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Tone is in the eye of beholder I think, and as long as you like the tone and can cope some decent sounds out of it, then youre set.

Am I correct in this logic?
^Exactly, tone is preference.

All we do is give suggestions as to what amps to try. They would be foolish to buy an amp without playing it. Maybe they would prefere a SS amp over tube. Who knows (they do)
They just have to go and play it and see what they like.

Quote by david_highland
I personaly don't have a preferance, but most of the people you just described are what we call elitists.

I would call these people smart. In most cases. Obviously depending on budget they are gonna recommend whats best. SS and tube.

Quote by david_highland
Alot of guitarists have been told by old timers that tube amps are superior and believed it without thinking about it.

Im pretty sure these guys own a tube amp. Or have played one and currenty saving for a future purchase.

Quote by david_highland
I'm sure that if ss amps developed before tube amps the majority of guitarists would be bashing everyone with a tube amp.

No comment.
Quote by neptune1988
anytime someone (especially a noob) post asking which SS? y'all automaticlly flame him for being an idiot amd wamt to crucify him?

Sure, tube may sound better, but not everybody can afford $700+ for a deccent tube amp.

Why?

is it the whole analog v. digital thing?

or are y'all just wacko's like that?

Hello?! A lot of these people are asking about $700+ SS amps, if you look good. They're asking about MG and Spider half stacks.

What WE are trying to do is persuade them away from the darkside before it's too late. They may not hear Jimi now, but they will eventually, and they'll probably end up regretting that purchase.

Heck, more then half the time suggestions come out about better SS modeling amps, like Valvetronix and Cubes. It isn't an all out anti-SS persecution.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
i've got a Frontman. don't buy it.

i own a SS amp, a modeling amp and an all tube amp and I can hear the difference which is why i don't recommend the first two usually.

that simple

*and what is with all the SS vs Tube amp threads lately?*
This topic really is a tough one for a new player that wants something good and doesn't want to make a purchase mistake. Amps are confusing and intimidating to a n00b.

I went through this myself a couple weeks ago. I was very close to popping for a blackheart 5w tube half stack, but was turned off by the fact that, by all accounts, you have to play them pretty loud to get any benefit from the tube characteristics, and/or pop for effects pedals too.

So I ended up going with a Fender Vibrochamp, which is a 5 watt all-tube combo amp with built-in effects and modeled voices. The tones it produced were ok, but the case is a poorly made piece of particleboard junk that arrived cracked.

I'm returning the Vibrochamp and I replaced with a SS Roland Cube 30x, which I think is just amazing. I don't think it gives up anything in terms of tonal quality to the Fender, even though it has no tubes. The effects and voices are great too, and I feel no need to spend more for pedals.

I started this journey leaning towards the tube old school due mostly to the influence of this board, but in practice I'm a solid-state guy now.
Quote by leondb
Hello?! A lot of these people are asking about $700+ SS amps, if you look good. They're asking about MG and Spider half stacks.

What WE are trying to do is persuade them away from the darkside before it's too late. They may not hear Jimi now, but they will eventually, and they'll probably end up regretting that purchase.

Heck, more then half the time suggestions come out about better SS modeling amps, like Valvetronix and Cubes. It isn't an all out anti-SS persecution.

+1

Also you will almost never hear someone cut down a Roland Jazz Chorus, Cube or Older Randall...
Quote by neptune1988
well, I would, really. But I have dial-up and it takes the searchbar like 20 minutes to load.

but again, sorry.

Oh please, i have AOL for God's sake!!!!! The searchbar only takes like a minute.
O O

___
Quote by darkarbiter7
Since when were tube amps over 700 bucks?
There's probably a dozen good tube amps under the 300 dollar mark.
And thanks to Blackheart and Epiphone, you can get amps around the 200 dollar mark.

Also, which amp did you end up getting?

Here's 14 right here under $400 on one search

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tube-Combo-Amps-Combo-Amps3.gc?o=1

I included the Valveking because I know you can get it new for $399.
Quote by neptune1988
Tone is in the eye of beholder I think, and as long as you like the tone and can cope some decent sounds out of it, then youre set.

No, you are wrong. It's only in the eye of the beholder if you are tone deaf.
Quote by lmihay
No, you are wrong. It's only in the eye of the beholder if you are tone deaf.

How is tone not entirely down to preference? shut up and get out.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
haha don't bother convincing neptune anything, he'll just change his mind again at the last moment!!!

bro, SS amps have their place. practice/insane clean headroom(most bass amps)/versatility for those who need a lot of tones at tap.

tube amps are for those who love the results of picking dynamics and all natural overdrive. it's all down to the player's ear and what they perceive as better. i'd rather use a modelling amp if i had strict volume rules over a tube amp.

if you get the frontman i will turkey slap you.

jk.

in all seriousness, this thread has been done a million times w/ slightly different wording. and you're notorious for not listening to anyone's advice....so ionno...why i'm still...posting in your threads...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by neptune1988

Not quite, if your the only one that will ever hear you meaning you live alone and have no life then yes hey if you like it sure do your thing.

But like most people that are into music either there gigging, have friends and family in the house, have jam sessions, test out new gear at GC, like to post up videos or sound clips of there playing and so on and so on. So what you might think is great tone isn't great at all and only piss's people off when they hear it. And what you thought you were only hearing might be eventually heard by alot of people. Music is to be heard.... and sooner or later someone is going to hear it no matter what you think...
^tru dat.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
not more of this
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Tone is in the eye of beholder just as much as beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Quote by leondb
Tone is in the eye of beholder just as much as beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

you sir, get a cookie. unfortunatly its an e-cookie and doesnt really exist. treasure it anyway.