Ok guys, my band that we formed in college has been going since about january, and its been going really well, we have some good original stuff, everyone who has heard us has liked it, other bands we know like our stuff, we have had some good gigs, have a myspace page and have some of our stuff recorded.

So, no problem eh? well, i wish, lateley we have just hit a brick wall, i think towards the end of college (we practiced in college) we grew too comfortable with our set and didn't want to try and make any more songs for the time being, also, we had lots of gigs in a short space of time, so we couldn't get much new material in time and get it tight enough. Now that we have finished college i really want to carry on the band, we all had a good attitude about it before we left, now there is a problem with every member.

Our drummer is the main problem, he is going off to university, its not amazingly far away but it will be hard for him to travel to wherever we rehearse, or for us to travel to him. Also, he dosen't have his own (working) drumkit, and refuses to buy one, and i don't think he would be too keen on spending money on renting a rehearsal room. The problem here is he has a pretty unique style but i know 2 other possible drummers, one of them is good and is apparently up for joining, but wants to rehearse with us first, last time i asked him he didn't seem too sure, the other one would join either way but i don't think he can cut it, he is in my bassists covers band. There is another drummer who is excellent but he is already in 2 other bands so i'm not sure if he would do it.

Our bassist is actually a lead guitarist, so he dosen't have his own bass gear, he is in another band on lead guitar, although they do covers predominantly, but he seems to be more focused on that. He is also very unreliable with getting to practices on time and drinks alot before shows. In college he seemed very enthusiastic about this, but then one day me and him swiched bass and guitar, the drummer in his other band was on drums (our drummer left early that day) and we done a few covers, then him and the drummer got the idea in the head that we should all form a new covers band, making me think that if we get the drummer from his band in, our bassist is going to try and take over on lead guitar, phase out our originals and turn us into another covers band, which i do not want at all.

Then theres our vocalist, there aren't too many problems with him but he seems clueless towards everything, he is a very good lyricist and so i don't want to lose him, but he is also pretty unreliable and very hard to get into contact with.

I would just call it a day with the band, but we have alot of good material and as i said, everybody likes us, the thing is it would be hard to replace members as we all have our own style that makes our sound what it is, so what should i do? i feel as though i am the only person who is actually making an effort here.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Just leave, man.
The other guys don't seem as interested, but the singer sounds alright. Just start a new band with that guy, or without that guy (you didn't say much about him).

Just move on, find other people.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
What about the material we have? we all had some part in most of the songs (our drummer also plays guitar, our lead singer came up with some chord structures on piano).
WHOMP

communication is the only way to resolve that. talk to them, ask for their opinions.
that's about the only possibility you've got.
Well i try talking to them, as i said, our lead singer is the hardest to get hold of, which is a shame as he is really the main person i want to keep hold of, our drummer never gives me a yes or no answer wether he wants to carry on but i am expecting a no in the end, and our bassist always says yes he wants to carry on, but he seems to leave everything up to me, so i feel as though the remaining members want to carry on but are relying on me to do all the legwork.
WHOMP

They don't seam too excited about the material you guys have come up with so just take it. If they don't care what does it matter? Just take the material and start a new band, thats what I would do.
This calls for a band meeting. Get everyone to sit down and put out the question. Whats going on..... let them talk and then everyone come to a resoloution, be it to continue on or give up......

Just try and prep your argument beforehand. Make a list of the pros and cons each member has for staying in the band and in your argument... concentrate on all of these
What can I say? Bands naturaly come to an end occasionaly, especialy college bands because guys move on to other things once they leave college.
It's the bands that you join or form slightly later in life, once everyone's settled in their personal lives that tend to carry on for years and years.
Just make a side project, possibly with the singer, and eventualy it'll probably become your main band as the other fizzles out.
Yeah we could give that a try, i'll see what happens, me and my other guitarist friend had a jam the other day and we agreed we should record some stuff at some point.
WHOMP

Ok, i've had band problems like these before, where basically everyone else but you is now uninterested. The thing you have to do is learn how to make it on your own as a musician. You will find a group of guys that is a s dedicated to this as you are. As for the songs, just take the ones you can with you. Take ideas from those songs into your own. And start writing your own songs. Just do what you have to do as a musician, but dont let anyone else hold you back.
yeah sure, i really hate the second song (woman on the 15th floor), i like playing it but i ****ed up bad on the recording of it, the only thing thats relativley passable on it is the solo, my favourite one of ours (that we have recorded) is addiction to the friction.

http://www.myspace.com/thedutchmanouver
WHOMP

Why thank you good sir, i prefer playing the songs live to recording them though (although i think everybody does), its just more natural and if you make a little **** up its easier to just adapt it and make people think you done it on purpose.
WHOMP

Hey guys, sorry for bumping an old thread with a double post, but heres an update on whats happening now.

Its safe to say our drummer has left, we rehearsed with another drummer we know and i liked some of his stuff but he ruined the vibe of some parts of the songs, i didn't really want to work with him from the start, but the vocalist was insistant, plus we had 2 gigs lined up, the only problem was our bassist was also working on the day of the gig, so we had to get a backup bassist, another guy who plays guitar is interested in joining on second guitar.

The day of the rehearsal was very stressful, first thing i heard was that my vocalist couldn't make it but still wanted me to run through it with the new people, which would have been pretty much impossible as we need vocals as a guide, after he phoned a few people and told them it was off, i heard that if we cancel a rehearsal on the day we still have to pay £30, so i urged the vocalist to do it, so we did, but then i couldn't get through to the bassist or the other guitarist. I got through to the bassist about half an hour before the rehearsal, he said he couldn't make it, so i was a bit pissed at that but decided we can have another practice, then i spoke to the other guitarist and he said he couldn't make it either.

Needless to say the rehearsal was hard, on the way back the vocalist told me that he thinks the new drummer will struggle, then he said he thinks we should try and get the old drummer to do the gig, so i phoned the old drummer, he said yeah he will do it but can't make a practice, so we decided we needed to get our old bassist to try and get the day off work. When i spoke to him he was reluctant at first, but then i told him how the place will be bringing in lots of people and we will get paid alot, and that it was all on him, so he said he'll try and get the day off.

So, the day of the gig comes round, i have been phoning the bassist during the week asking if he knows if he'll be able to do it so that if he can't we can pull out without losing too much face, he keeps saying he'll tell me on the day, then i phone him on the day and he says he can't do it, i know he hasn't even tried to get the day off, so i was pretty angry, i was urging him to do it as i knew if we pulled out this late we would look like idiots, so i phoned just about everyone saying they need to try and persuade him, then i phoned him a few more times, he said he wasn't confident about it as we haven't practiced much, then he said our vocalist told him that he didn't want to do it and that i was forcing him (our vocalist got us the gig), so i phoned the vocalist, asked him what the deal was, he said no that wasn't true, in the end i said we'll have to pull out, our vocalist phoned the venue and said we were pulling out, i doubt we will be asked to play again because of this.

We had another gig opportunity for sunday but again, our bassist was working and our drummer is on holiday, so it was impossible. At the moment i don't know whats going on, i feel as though i am the only one commited, our vocalist has alot on his plate at the moment but is still very much up for it, our bassist seems to be more commited to his covers band, plus we aren't sure if he'll be able to carry on due to work, so we are going to try and get a new bassist and drummer, which is going to be ****ing hard.

Its very annoying as i feel as though i am the only one who is commited to this band and sees the quality of the music we have, that sounds arrogant but i enjoy playing it and other people enjoy it, but the other members just don't seem commited, so i think i am going to start some other things off with other people while we sort ourselves out, if it dies i will probably carry over our vocalist and do the old songs with the new band.
WHOMP

Last edited by donender at Aug 18, 2008,
Quote by donender
Hey guys, sorry for bumping an old thread with a double post, but heres an update on whats happening now.

Its safe to say our drummer has left, we rehearsed with another drummer we know and i liked some of his stuff but he ruined the vibe of some parts of the songs, i didn't really want to work with him from the start, but the vocalist was insistant, plus we had 2 gigs lined up, the only problem was our bassist was also working on the day of the gig, so we had to get a backup bassist, another guy who plays guitar is interested in joining on second guitar.

The day of the rehearsal was very stressful, first thing i heard was that my vocalist couldn't make it but still wanted me to run through it with the new people, which would have been pretty much impossible as we need vocals as a guide, after he phoned a few people and told them it was off, i heard that if we cancel a rehearsal on the day we still have to pay £30, so i urged the vocalist to do it, so we did, but then i couldn't get through to the bassist or the other guitarist. I got through to the bassist about half an hour before the rehearsal, he said he couldn't make it, so i was a bit pissed at that but decided we can have another practice, then i spoke to the other guitarist and he said he couldn't make it either.

Needless to say the rehearsal was hard, on the way back the vocalist told me that he thinks the new drummer will struggle, then he said he thinks we should try and get the old drummer to do the gig, so i phoned the old drummer, he said yeah he will do it but can't make a practice, so we decided we needed to get our old bassist to try and get the day off work. When i spoke to him he was reluctant at first, but then i told him how the place will be bringing in lots of people and we will get paid alot, and that it was all on him, so he said he'll try and get the day off.

So, the day of the gig comes round, i have been phoning the bassist during the week asking if he knows if he'll be able to do it so that if he can't we can pull out without losing too much face, he keeps saying he'll tell me on the day, then i phone him on the day and he says he can't do it, i know he hasn't even tried to get the day off, so i was pretty angry, i was urging him to do it as i knew if we pulled out this late we would look like idiots, so i phoned just about everyone saying they need to try and persuade him, then i phoned him a few more times, he said he wasn't confident about it as we haven't practiced much, then he said our vocalist told him that he didn't want to do it and that i was forcing him (our vocalist got us the gig), so i phoned the vocalist, asked him what the deal was, he said no that wasn't true, in the end i said we'll have to pull out, our vocalist phoned the venue and said we were pulling out, i doubt we will be asked to play again because of this.

We had another gig opportunity for sunday but again, our bassist was working and our drummer is on holiday, so it was impossible. At the moment i don't know whats going on, i feel as though i am the only one commited, our vocalist has alot on his plate at the moment but is still very much up for it, our bassist seems to be more commited to his covers band, plus we aren't sure if he'll be able to carry on due to work, so we are going to try and get a new bassist and drummer, which is going to be ****ing hard.

Its very annoying as i feel as though i am the only one who is commited to this band and sees the quality of the music we have, that sounds arrogant but i enjoy playing it and other people enjoy it, but the other members just don't seem commited, so i think i am going to start some other things off with other people while we sort ourselves out, if it dies i will probably carry over our vocalist and do the old songs with the new band.

I'm not wishing to sound nasty, but, d'you know what your biggest problem is in all of that? You accepted a gig before you were ready. If you simply didn't say 'Yeah, we'll do it!' or, if it was a gig that was already booked, if you simply cancelled all gigs until you were ready to play gigs again, you wouldn't have had any of those problems.

Maybe you're pushing too hard?
Believe me, I know the feeling, you expect more from the rest of the band which stresses you out, so you push harder and try and get them to pull their weight but it has the opposite effect and everyone actualy gets less enthusiastic rather than more, adding to the stress.... ect, ect.

Relax, slow down, give the new members time to adjust and find their groove within the band, and if one of your members can't make it to a gig, then don't do the gig. You have to simply accept that other people have to work and have holidays, it's a basic human right so you shouldn't resent them for it.
If you end up replacing anyone, same thing goes. Rehearse for a couple of months solid, then think about getting some gigs. Even if the replacements are the best, most experienced musicians you could have ever hoped to get in your band, they still need time to properly gell.
You'll be much better prepaired, sound better, and as a result, get a better reception from the audience than if you alter the band while trying to continue playing gigs.

You may also find that if you relax more, then so will your band mates, who will then get more enjoyment out of the band, which will make them more enthusiastic about the band.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I'm not wishing to sound nasty, but, d'you know what your biggest problem is in all of that? You accepted a gig before you were ready. If you simply didn't say 'Yeah, we'll do it!' or, if it was a gig that was already booked, if you simply cancelled all gigs until you were ready to play gigs again, you wouldn't have had any of those problems.

Maybe you're pushing too hard?
Believe me, I know the feeling, you expect more from the rest of the band which stresses you out, so you push harder and try and get them to pull their weight but it has the opposite effect and everyone actualy gets less enthusiastic rather than more, adding to the stress.... ect, ect.

Relax, slow down, give the new members time to adjust and find their groove within the band, and if one of your members can't make it to a gig, then don't do the gig. You have to simply accept that other people have to work and have holidays, it's a basic human right so you shouldn't resent them for it.
If you end up replacing anyone, same thing goes. Rehearse for a couple of months solid, then think about getting some gigs. Even if the replacements are the best, most experienced musicians you could have ever hoped to get in your band, they still need time to properly gell.
You'll be much better prepaired, sound better, and as a result, get a better reception from the audience than if you alter the band while trying to continue playing gigs.

You may also find that if you relax more, then so will your band mates, who will then get more enjoyment out of the band, which will make them more enthusiastic about the band.

Well yeah you are right about how we should have cancelled the gigs, but i guess i was thinking that the bassist would actually come through for us, but he didn't even try, and the problem is with new band members is that our new drummer is joining another, better established band, and is in another band with our bassist (who plays lead guitar in that band), i think my last hope is to put out an ad, although it seems like everyone i know is hell bent on playing covers all the time and not taking any risks.
WHOMP

Quote by donender
Well yeah you are right about how we should have cancelled the gigs, but i guess i was thinking that the bassist would actually come through for us, but he didn't even try, and the problem is with new band members is that our new drummer is joining another, better established band, and is in another band with our bassist (who plays lead guitar in that band), i think my last hope is to put out an ad, although it seems like everyone i know is hell bent on playing covers all the time and not taking any risks.

Y'know, with an unreliable bassists and a drummer who's playing for every other band in town, that side project is looking more and more inviting.
If you put out an ad, and if you get enough interest to start a band, have a fresh start and make it something completely different with a different name.
It'll do you good.
Well, a bit of good news is that we have a new drummer interested, i have known him for a while and jammed with him a bit and hes the nuts, i've asked him if he wants to do things before but yesterday i was talking to him and asked if he wanted to join our band just as a stab in the dark and he said he would be more than happy to, so thats one good thing, but now its getting a bassist sorted out, he said he would like to work with me on our own project so i already have part of a contingency plan being made.
WHOMP

Quote by donender
Well, a bit of good news is that we have a new drummer interested, i have known him for a while and jammed with him a bit and hes the nuts, i've asked him if he wants to do things before but yesterday i was talking to him and asked if he wanted to join our band just as a stab in the dark and he said he would be more than happy to, so thats one good thing, but now its getting a bassist sorted out, he said he would like to work with me on our own project so i already have part of a contingency plan being made.

Congrats on the drummer.
At this point, it's probably worth taking your time over and making sure that you get the right person to play bass for you. Don't rush it and just take the first person who turns up with a bass guitar, find as many bassists as you can, give 'em an audition and tell 'em you'll let 'em know.
That way, word get's around that someone is auditioning, which sounds good 'n' professional to a musician, and you start getting interest from better musicians.

Don't just pick the best bass player either, pick the guy who you are all most comfortable with, both playing wise and personality wise.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Aug 21, 2008,