Hey guys,
Trying to buy some seymour duncans for a dean hardtail select over the internet, however I keep finding next to the description phrases such as "4 Conductor" or "Single Conductor" or "Hookup".
Haven't a clue what these mean in all honesty, could someone out there show me the error in my ways?
Would be much appreciated!
Cheers all!
Last edited by MetalMatt243 at Jul 1, 2008,
I've never honestly heard the term "hookup" before but the 2 and 4 conductor options affect what you can do with switching options; 4 conductor pickups can be coil tapped or split depending on how they're wired and a couple of other things but I'm not too sure what they are. 2 conductor pickups don't have his option but they're simpler to wire if you're not used to doing electronics and things.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I've never honestly heard the term "hookup" before but the 2 and 4 conductor options affect what you can do with switching options; 4 conductor pickups can be coil tapped or split depending on how they're wired and a couple of other things but I'm not too sure what they are. 2 conductor pickups don't have his option but they're simpler to wire if you're not used to doing electronics and things.

Say I'm putting the humbucker into the neck of a guitar that has a 3 way switch, I take it that i only need a 2 conductor option. One for front pickup and the other to split the pickup between the neck and bridge?
Well at it's most basic, yes, but you can also use the 4 conductor option to wire things like push/pull pots for coil tapping/splitting.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well at it's most basic, yes, but you can also use the 4 conductor option to wire things like push/pull pots for coil tapping/splitting.

No I won't be needing that, just pure neck pickup and neck and bridge pickup combinations!
yeah, if you're going for the simple 3-way switch, you only need 2 conductor, as zaphod says, it'll be easier to wire.

the other thing is, though, if you ever think you might need more complex wiring options in the future (say you swap them to a different guitar, or want to sell them on), 4 conductor would be a better bet.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, if you're going for the simple 3-way switch, you only need 2 conductor, as zaphod says, it'll be easier to wire.

the other thing is, though, if you ever think you might need more complex wiring options in the future (say you swap them to a different guitar, or want to sell them on), 4 conductor would be a better bet.

So can I buy a 4 conductor one then and still stick it in, just not use the 2 spare conductors? They will be fine just hanging in there unconnected?
no, i think you have to wire them up somehow. You might have to solder some of the wires together or something like that (don't trust what i'm saying, i'm not sure- there should be info on what to do on pickup manufacturers' websites).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?