Last night I was walking by a charity shop window near my flat in Edinburgh when I noticed amongst all the out of season clothes there was an acoustic guitar lying in the window. Its rare that they ever sell musical instruments around here (who would ever give one away, especially a Scot! ), and even rarer still for one to remain unsold.

I knew I needed to be the first one in the shop this morning when it opened or someone was going to snap it up before me. I've been burned like that before.

I went in, and asked the little old lady if I could take a look at the guitar in the window, and she apologetically said "of course, but I'm sorry to say its broken".

I was kind of expecting that, so I took a look to see what kind of damage there was.

ONE STRING HAD BROKEN!!

"Oh I see the problem there...". Bless her little heart, she didn't know much about guitars.

So I paid the £9.99 and left, guitar in hand. I'm pretty sure the guy who came in straight after me had planned on buying it too, judging by the look he gave me. It pays to get up before noon, future rock stars .

So, its not a Washburn or a Fender, as expected its one of those cheap guitars but it doesn't play so badly, and the important thing is, its definitely worth more than £9.99

Its a "Concerto" brand. Anyone know anything about them. I can't find anything online. Sounds like a cheap copy brand name to me. "Concerto" implies a professional level of quality, which we all know is just the usual marketing gimmick they use.

Its not a bad guitar, and plays better than the Encore I once had, but its obviously not good enough to replace my Washburn. I have no real use for it, other than replace the strings and give it to my friend who is desperate to learn how to play but can't afford one.

However, any other ideas of what I can do with it in the meantime. Since I'm kind of new to guitars I was thinking about using it as a "practise maintenance guitar". I'm too much of a noob to take my own guitar's pieces apart, raise\lower the bridge, change the action etc, so I was thinking I could use this one to learn how to do it.

What do you think?

Oh, and if anyone can find out more information on the "Concerto" brand I'd appreciate it.
Dude, that's not cool to rip off someone like that ... unless the guitar's really worth £10. On the other hand, giving it to your friend that can't afford one ... acceptable.
You ripped off an old lady?
Why can’t a heterosexual guy tell a heterosexual guy that he thinks his booty is fly?

Quote by Curious Jeff
These posts are too long. Just do some drugs
The fact that she thought the string was irreplaceble is kind of funny. XD Anyway, nice score on a 10 euro guitar. I say go for the pratise maintenance thing, it was only 10 euros after all.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Only because she didn't know better.
Why can’t a heterosexual guy tell a heterosexual guy that he thinks his booty is fly?

Quote by Curious Jeff
These posts are too long. Just do some drugs
Quote by BlackandSilver
The fact that she thought the string was irreplaceble is kind of funny. XD Anyway, nice score on a 10 euro guitar. I say go for the pratise maintenance thing, it was only 10 euros after all.

Pounds, not Euro.
Quote by BlackandSilver

American, right?
Euro

anyway nice buy - my sister got an early '70s Kay from a charity shop in Bristol for a fiver because it needed a new tuning head
The strings are in terrible condition, but as soon as I replace them it should play much better
Sweet buy man, Be nice and give it to your mate!
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
I got an acoustic at a thrift store for $10 once (I think that's about 4 or 5 pounds). It was a Lori brand, some of the tuning pegs were broken and there was some minor body damage, but I just ended up using the thing for some experiments in customizing.
Charity shops are always full of great things. I bouth a £30 mandolin that looked nice- It was a 1973 Suzuki and Co. mandolin. sold for £110. And at the moment I have a late 70's kimbara classical guitar- £20 down to £15 because of a broken string...
Quote by BlackandSilver

kinda funny. i couldn't stop laughing. hahahahahahaha
^

But doesn't euro and pounds have about the same value?
Quote by Neer
^

But doesn't euro and pounds have about the same value?

not really. 1 euro = £0.79
Sounds like a good find even if its not worth alot of money. And you did pay the asking price so its not like you stiffed an old lady. Now if you pulled the "i dont know strings for this are gonna be hard to find". And the other guy was ticked as he may know its a good deal. But you simply beat him to it no reason to get pissed off.
I've spent the past week searching, and I just cannot find any reference to this brand of guitar anywhere online. Its not in the mega list of guitar reviews on this site or harmony central.

What does that indicate?

Also, is there any point putting expensive strings on it? I use Elixirs on my Washburn, but I guess Martins might be fine for this cheap guitar. Yes or no?
To be honest, putting decent strings on it might not make much of an improvement or difference.
Been away, am back