Hey i was wondering what a good Intermediate bass would be for me. i play a spector i dont know what model but it wasnt alot of cash and i have a 5 string schecter custom 5 i love but the 5th string gets in the way alot when i slap. i may be selling my old 4 string and new 5 string to get an intermediate or up bass.

should i stick with the 5 or should i look for a new bass all together b/c i prefer 4

thanks for the help
If you prefer 4 then get 4. If you need the low notes you can always tune to B.

There are a lot of basses in the "intermediate" level though, and without a budget and some idea of what you want to sound like and knowing what you like and don't like about your current instruments it's basically impossible to make any suggestions.
well i dont really have a budget yet. i was planning on selling my 2 basses and useing that cash for a new bass guitar i have been playing for about 2 years and i play alot of RATM, RHCP,TOOL,Manson,black sabbath and zep. im play bass in an alt rock band so i would need a bass thats gigable. Umm so i think when i sell my 2 baby's ill have around 500-600 $
maybe finding a used stingray on ebay? a stingray would fit most of the styles you suggested. it might be hard to find one for $500-600 dollars though. you could easily get one for $700-800.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by surge11
im thinkin about getting a Fender but i was at guitar center today and i saw a Squire that i loved. i Know squire isnt that great but this bass felt perfect here it is http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Vintage-Modified--70s-Jazz-Bass-103726642-i1166457.gc
These Squiers are great - if it feels great then buy it! They're a quality instrument, and since it feels good to you and it'll save you some cash it's well worth considering.
yea i played one today. personaly i would like to play the bass before i bought it off somewhere like ebay i always dreamed of owning a musicman when i frist started playing bass but ever since i picked up a fender i fell in love with them. dont get me wrong i still love them stringrays
cool thanks for the quick replys SMB. my knowledge of parts isnt great i hear alot of squire pickups go bad. im wondering if you know anything i should know about this bass and yes i read the reviews here and online. also if anyone knows could this bass play up to giggin ( small gigs my bands just starting out)
i really dont want to upgrade again till im like crazy fast/ good at bass
Without meaning to sound rude - it's best to edit your previous post rather than make several posts consecutively in one thread.

The Dlx Jazz is great - I'm a big fan of actives but in having them it loses out on the traditional J vibe - it's got a more modern sound IMO. Whether that's good or bad is of course dependent on what you like.

The Squier VM Jazz has upgraded pickups over the normal Squier ones which are definitely an improvement.
I think you should get a better spector or a scheter stilleto.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
I recently got a Deluxe Active Jazz and it is fantastic, I would highly recomend it
I'd go with the Squier VM jazz. From what I've heard they have amazing quality for their price.

Of course, I feel like an "intermediate bass" would be an upper level Fender, like a Geddy or a Jazz 24 (which I highly recommend). To me it seems you're still in the beginner bass area. To me an intermediate bass is a bass that's relatively cheap, but you'd keep it forever.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by Funkbass796
I'd go with the Squier VM jazz. From what I've heard they have amazing quality for their price.

Of course, I feel like an "intermediate bass" would be an upper level Fender, like a Geddy or a Jazz 24 (which I highly recommend). To me it seems you're still in the beginner bass area. To me an intermediate bass is a bass that's relatively cheap, but you'd keep it forever.

the jazz 24 is amazing. its not too expensive either. i wouldn't mind trading my american P bass for one.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I think a standard Fender MIA Jazz is an intermediate bass as its not too pricey (around the same as a decent condition SUB) and would be a good investment
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by Rywad
Fender MIA Jazz is an intermediate bass as its not too pricey

I disagree. I think an American-made Fender is an upper-echelon bass. $1150 seems quite expensive.
yeah...in no way is an american fender an intermediate bass. alot of pros use american fenders.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
It could have been used, but I saw one for £600
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
That's basically the price of a new MIA Jazz, in fact, £600 is about 50 bucks MORE than what they retail for in the states.
Last edited by NakedBassist at Jul 2, 2008,
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Quote by NakedBassist
That's basically the price of a new MIA Jazz, in fact, £600 is about 50 bucks MORE than what they retail for in the states.

However, they sell for alot more than that in the UK.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I would go with a Jazz 24, I'm looking at one of those myself (more like gassing), since I've been having problems with general playability of my Stingray. I would recommend it:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-QuiltTop-Jazz-Bass-24?sku=515038
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!